The Royal Albert Hall Concerts

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

The Royal Albert Hall Concerts

Post by moodyblue »

I have personally been looking forward to these dates since they were first announced.
I am lucky enough to say these shows will bring my tally up to ten in total.
It could possibly be the last dates David Gilmour may ever play although my heart says no, my head thinks it is a possibility.
So who is going and what especially are you looking forward to most?
Last edited by moodyblue on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: The Royal Albert Hall Concerts

Post by kjek1 »

I'll be there. I wanted to do more than one night but I've been very unwell this year so it just isn't something I can manage

I'm really looking forward to hopefully hearing one of these days live. Looking forward to hearing his new band, and looking forward to getting a close look at what effects he's messing with on stage since I'll be very close.

It's going to be bittersweet knowing this may be the last time I ever see him.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

ditto on both accounts. we scored some last minute (or second last?) floor tickets, so we are excited to be so close as well. one of these days is a highlight for me; I never thought I'd ever hear CBTL, OOTD, What do you want from me, Sorrow live. The optimist in me hopes for Keep Talking still, but THAT will not happen. I wish I'd got to hear Wearing the Inside Out.
Roger will be in Mexico gearing up for his shows, at least 1-2 days before. Any real chance of a guest appearance by him or (more likely) Nick Mason? One can only hope for all items on the bucket list eh...
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Post by everton1690 »

im going 1 night, my 11th Gilmour solo show, 4th and final this year

one of these days was superb in Chantilly

and like him to throw the second to last song, and louder than words from the endless river

sick of hearing some of them to be honest, how many times do we need to hear run like hell and money
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

:D
everton1690 wrote:
sick of hearing some of them to be honest, how many times do we need to hear run like hell and money
I completely agree. Run Like Hell tends to pass me by and sad to say, so does Wish You Were Here to a certain degree. The new stuff I still like hearing especially the opening pad sounds.

Good to hear other people's thoughts on the gigs.
Keep them coming. :D
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

everton1690 wrote:im going 1 night, my 11th Gilmour solo show, 4th and final this year

one of these days was superb in Chantilly

and like him to throw the second to last song, and louder than words from the endless river

Why go to numerous gigs then?

Keep in mind most people will only see him on the tour once and only hear him play those songs once. Money as much as it isn't one of my favs, is a very famous Floyd hit that caters more to some of the casual fans in the audience, and run like hells just a more upbeat uptempo song to have in the setlist.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I'm going on the 29th i cannot wait to see Live finally One Of These Days, Sorrow Money, Run Like Hell, What Do You Want From Me will be David only once on this tour but looking forward too it being 6th row from the stage <ii>
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I'm going to the 29th and the 30th. I'll be in the Choir on the 29th and in the Gallery on the 30th. Saw one of the RAH shows last year and I was absolutely blown away and I thought I'd never see him again, and here I am going to see two consecutive shows!

And to be honest I couldn't care less about the setlist, 18 months ago I thought I'd never have the chance to see the man ever, and now I would've seen him three times in the space of a year, I feel incredibly lucky. And there are some tracks in the setlist that I've never heard live before such as One of these Days, The Great Gig in the Sky, What Do You Want From Me and Coming Back To Life. So I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever.

So, 9 days to go! :D
learningtofly
Axe
Axe

Post by learningtofly »

I saw 2 dates at the RAH last autumn, and superb as these were i just didn’t feel i wanted to go this time. Partly because it was evident his voice was increasingly strained and i’d prefer to leave things on a positive note. Having said that, I’m sure folks attending these shows will have lots to enjoy, looking forward to seeing reviews....
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

any changes to the setlist any suprises anyone know?
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

No changes, no new songs.
It's pretty much the same setlist as the one he closed the last leg of the tour on.

The new musicians have changed the way the songs sound in parts. I was always trying to figure out what Manzanera's contribution was but this new guy is a much better guitar player. Money has been extended with a jam section as Gilmour and Kamen trade licks although it's very short.
Brian Chambers now handles Roger's part in Comfortably Numb.
Interestingly, the backing singers have swapped sides along with the rhythm guitar player.
grahamk
Embryo
Embryo

Post by grahamk »

Hello all - we are making the journey to London from Colorado to see Gilmour at the RAH. We have tickets for Friday and just yesterday were able to get tickets for Thursday. FYI - there appears to be seats available for all nights right now at the box office.

This will be the 5th and 6th time seeing Gilmour solo for us. We saw "On An Island" tour 2 nights at Radio City Music Hall and earlier this year saw 2 shows at the Hollywood Bowl.

I am curious if anyone would happen to know how will call is being handled at these shows? Can tickets be picked up earlier than showtime for later entry, or do you have to enter the Hall right after picking up tickets at the box office?

Also curious what people think of seats in the Stalls - section G seats 1&2. They are marked "restricted view" but seem very close to the stage to me - perhaps the screen is what you cannot see? That is where we were able to get tickets for Thursday night's show.

Thanks! Graham
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

moodyblue wrote:No changes, no new songs.
It's pretty much the same setlist as the one he closed the last leg of the tour on.

The new musicians have changed the way the songs sound in parts. I was always trying to figure out what Manzanera's contribution was but this new guy is a much better guitar player. Money has been extended with a jam section as Gilmour and Kamen trade licks although it's very short.
Brian Chambers now handles Roger's part in Comfortably Numb.
Interestingly, the backing singers have swapped sides along with the rhythm guitar player.

Was Lasers used on Sorrow during the intro & middle section?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

What a great night. I'll say more later, but Chester Kamen is superb!
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

azza200 wrote:

Was Lasers used on Sorrow during the intro & middle section?
To be honest, I don't recall they were but I will look out for these next show.

Talking of which, I totally agree Kjek. Tonight's show was an outstanding piece of work by David Gilmour.
For my money, the intensity of his solo work tonight particularly Comfortably Numb is seeing him really give it everything.
He isn't the most animated of musicians to say the least but if the way he plays is his communication of how he feels, clearly he is enjoying these shows.
He seems to drag them out longer especially as I say in tonight's show.
Vocally too he isn't holding much back here. Plenty of passion.

One amazing surprise (that I had given up on) was the readmission into the set of 'Us And Them' albeit now in the second half of the show omitting the 'Red Dress' song.

It's getting very near the end of this tour and who knows what that may mean. One kind of wants to savour these next few days while it's all still to be had.