Theater Screening of Live From Pompeii

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
everton1690
Knife
Knife

Re: Theater Screening of Live From Pompeii

Post by everton1690 »

raisemyrent wrote:Yes. They cut a few songs like today, the blue, faces of stone, on an island... plus coming back to life.

Re the comment on great gig: really??? I think the singer brings the house down! Every performance (7 but not played every time) we saw them it was Incredible. Best version live yet IMO. I do think that the initial harmony for this show was a bit different; I don't recall 100%. Reminded me ever so briefly of the ABSOLUTE DOG'S BREAKFAST that the singers do with Roger, minus the horribly out of tune bit. That said, Lucita Jones is unbelievable. The other 2 singers are great too. IMO the great gig was done justice and then some... if I had to nitpick it, I'd say Mr Philinganes took some slight liberties with the piano part with respect to the record.

Overall, great show, great sound (such a high def mix), and cool scenery. I still cherish my royal Albert hall nights (both legs of the tour), and hope they're included on an official release at some point. But like someone else said, it really did remind me of being at the shows, and actually made me wish for him to go on tour again!

P.s. We're seeing Roger in about a month. Roger who? That's right lol

It should state on the tickets for every single RW show, this is not a full live performance

Fraud
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

haha. I honestly think there could be a case in the states for a refund/lawsuit lol

p.s. they also cut money, us and them, and on an island.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Went to see it at the theater last night. Overall, pretty good! The inclusion of In Any Tongue was really unfortunate (perhaps Gilmour most tedious solo song ever?) and I really considered going to the bathroom meanwhile, but I really didn't have the need to, so I endure it in my chair. But the awesome performances of One of These Days and Run Like Hell more than make up for it! And thanks god he didn't play Coming Back To Life! Or any On An Island song for that matter. Pretty good setlist overall, although it had too many damn guitar solos! After an hour and a half it all begins to sound the same, except for those solos where Gilmour actually changes his tone, like High Hopes and RLH. Those never get old!

And man, Comfortably Numb without Wright or Waters singing the verses just sounds weird. But good solo from Gilmour there again.

Actually that could be the subtitle of this movie:

David Gilmour Returns To Pompeii
And Plays Some Solos There.

Kidding aside, it was pretty good.

But yeah, Gilmour, tone it down with the damn guitar solos dude! Not EVERY song has to have one for christ's sake! :lol:

Also, I have always been partial to What Do You Want From Me, second best song from The Division Bell IMO, so I'm glad he included it on the setlist. I really like the middle eight of that song. And the other songs from Rattle That Lock were okeish. So yeah, all in all, good show.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

that's pretty harsh, dan. though I know what you mean with all the solos. first few oh wow this guy is a legend. then you desensitize. keep in mind, however, that they cut some songs that would've brought some balance to the setlist.
sad you don't like in any tongue, we love it, and I think some other fans love it too, and also accused it of being a PF ripoff! lol go figure. it does sound super floydian.
+1 on what do you want from me. the first time he played it for us (LA) I was frozen for a bit. just never, ever, ever thought I'd hear that, sorrow, and coming back to life live in a single night!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Actually, something that fascinates me is wondering why some Gilmour solos deeply move me (High Hopes, OOTD, RLH, CN, OAI) and others leave me totally cold. If anything the film gave me an oportunity to analize that. I actually try hard to "get" into Any Tongue, it sounds a lot like CN, so I should like it, but no matter how hard I try, it just sounds more boring each time I hear it, it's like a bad imitation of a Floyd song, all the ingredients are there but the melodies just don't do anything to my soul. Same happens with Coming Back To Life, it's a vehicle for a guitar solo, but the solo is kinda generic. Now, the exact opossite happens with HIgh Hopes, where the solo takes you to the stratosphere and then that lovely acoustic guitar brings you down to earth again at the end. What a perfect song that one.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I actually cried during In Any Tongue at the Royal Albert Hall on the 29th last year. I think that solo is just absolutely stunning.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

raisemyrent wrote:Yes. They cut a few songs like today, the blue, faces of stone, on an island... plus coming back to life.

....and Girl in the yellow dress. That we should all be thankful for
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

true. not a good live song. but I meant from those specific 2 concerts in pompeii.

interesting, daniel. I am move by most if not all of his solos, but I agree, some are more (and now I will solo for 1-2 mnutes and fade out), and some are absolute pieces of beauty compositions (high hopes is one of my favourites on piano).
I really like in any tongue, just the lyrics are a bit cheesy. my favourite version is the one from brighton, where Lousie Marshall sings the end of the chorus. brian chambers is great but a femail really added some melancholy in there.
i ALMOST wept when I heard Gilmour soundchecking at Orange (he did coming back to life, in any tongue, and.... mmmmm some other song). it was the culmination of 18 years of dreaming to see him live and dreaming of being in PULSE, and when we came into town ahead of the concert, after a nightmare to actually get to Cheatueaneuf/Orange (no taxis, no rail) and being finally bailed out/driven by the kindest restauranteurs in France, and to get into town and suddenly hear the music come from the venue was overwhelming.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

For me the studio version of IAT is the best solo Gilmour created since High Hopes and the live version of ''Faces of Stones'' was pretty epic too.

I noticed there wasn't any song composed solely by Roger Waters during the screening.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

twcc wrote:I'll be at Yeovil ... :D
They have electricity in Yeovil?? In the cinema is there a man at the back with a hand cranked projector :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

drafsack wrote:
twcc wrote:I'll be at Yeovil ... :D
They have electricity in Yeovil?? In the cinema is there a man at the back with a hand cranked projector :D
:lol:
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I feel a bit sad & lonely as my partner doesn't want to go and being busy with other stuff means that I couldn't ask around to see who else wants to go.

So, I'm going to see it in Leicester this evening. By myself. :)

At least I get to read a thread full of impressions by others. But, I'm waiting until after the screening to read them in detail as I wish to avoid any spoilers.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
How come the Phoenix in Leicester are showing it today ... I thought it was a 'one night only' screening back on 13 September; maybe time runs slowly in the East Midlands.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I have absolutely no idea why it was shown tonight. But, I'm glad that it was as I thoroughly enjoyed it.

EDIT: I didn't say that it was on at The Phoenix, so top marks for google-fu there.

EDIT: Does anyone else think that these days Guy Pratt does the Run Like Hell vocal even better than the old PF tours?
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

moodyblue wrote:Fabulous movie. The mix of sound revealed a lot about what was played by whom. I can certainly hear this 'loose' sound Gilmour referred to in an interview on why he brought in certain musicians.
So did anyone sit there remembering the concerts from last year?
I certainly did. I feel extremely lucky to have seen so many and to have such wonderful memories of those gigs.

god yes. i cried a few times remembering a day before today....

when the crowd started singing WYWH, i wept thinking one of those voices was my own....and i was probably crying then, too.

or when he did an extra blues deedle in SOYCD, i remembered the first time i saw him do that, at the forum in LA.

i've been so lucky.