Steven Wilson: Roger Waters Is Arguably the Worst Musician in Pink Floyd

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
space triangle
Knife
Knife

Steven Wilson: Roger Waters Is Arguably the Worst Musician in Pink Floyd

Post by space triangle »

Steven Wilson: Roger Waters Is Arguably the Worst Musician in Pink Floyd, Yet He's Behind Most of Their Groundbreaking Music

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... music.html

"Great musicians are people who are brilliant musical thinkers." 8)

twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Steven Wilson: Roger Waters Is Arguably the Worst Musician in Pink Floyd

Post by twcc »

^^^
It was a crazy article in 2017 and remains so today ... ](*,)

Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

I would give the honor of worst musician in Pink Floyd to Nick Mason but ok.

Alvader
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Alvader »

space triangle wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 am
Steven Wilson: Roger Waters Is Arguably the Worst Musician in Pink Floyd, Yet He's Behind Most of Their Groundbreaking Music

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... music.html

"Great musicians are people who are brilliant musical thinkers." 8)
I would not say "...Yet he is behind most of their groundbreaking music" but rather "groundbreaking Albums". Waters is behind the concepts of those albums. The music is made by the group. The result is a Pink Floyd album.

Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Alvader wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm
I would not say "...Yet he is behind most of their groundbreaking music" but rather "groundbreaking Albums". Waters is behind the concepts of those albums. The music is made by the group. The result is a Pink Floyd album.
I agree, and I'm sure many other people will as well. Roger was the lyrical genius of the band, but the others provided vital parts of the recipe that made Pink Floyd.

ZiggyZipgun
Blade
Blade

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Alvader wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:57 pm
Annoying Twit wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:08 pm
I agree, and I'm sure many other people will as well. Roger was the lyrical genius of the band, but the others provided vital parts of the recipe that made Pink Floyd.
I'd just like to speculate that the recipe for the classic Floyd albums calls for Roger's writing, circa the 1970s. 99% of Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are written in second-person point of view, where the listener is addressed as the main character. The Wall and The Final Cut jump around from first-person to second-person, but the better moments are in second-person, or the few places where it sets the scene in second-person, and Gilmour chimes in, now in first-person - "Mother", "Young Lust", "Comfortably Numb" - in "Dogs", it's Roger singing in first-person, before launching into his rendition of "Howl". A lot of Roger's early stuff was in third-person, but "Embryo", "Biding My Time", "Grandchester Meadows", "If", and all of Meddle is first-person, though much less specific than The Wall and everything after it; Pros and Cons is entirely first-person and (I would say) painfully specific. "Cymbaline", and Gilmour's "The Narrow Way" and "Childhood's End" are also in second-person. Pink Floyd's best work uses very vivid music while lyrically leaving enough room for the listener's imagination, allowing them to assume the role of the main character. Roger's later work isn't nearly as identifiable for most people - he certainly honed his ability to tell a story, and there are morals to those stories, but most of them take multiple listens to piece together, unlike the immediacy of hearing Dark Side of the Moon for the first time. I really don't think the latter-day Floyd would have been better with Roger's involvement, because he didn't write like that anymore.

Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

I can't imagine there being a latter day Floyd with Rog's involvement. I think that if Rog had stayed with Floyd, it would only because the others would have been sidelined and potentially ejected over time. So, it would have been Rog's solo albums, except that they would have been labelled Pink Floyd rather than Roger Waters.