Questions About Towers Of Faith.

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Questions About Towers Of Faith.

Post by AsydWaters »

Since I'm not very much familiar with the bible or the jewish history;hence I can't understand the references in the song "Towers Of Faith AkA Folded Flags"
Who are the Lonely Boys?
What is the Park?
Why Do they go to park After Dark?
What is the Gate and what happens when they are closed?
mosespa

Re: Questions About Towers Of Faith.

Post by mosespa »

AsydWaters wrote:
1. Since I'm not very much familiar with the bible or the jewish history;hence I can't understand the references in the song "Towers Of Faith AkA Folded Flags"

2. Who are the Lonely Boys?

3. What is the Park?

4. Why Do they go to park After Dark?

5. What is the Gate and what happens when they are closed?
1. First off, they are two seperate songs...and while Folded Flags may be an instrumental reprise of Towers Of Faith (and I DO think it is, though I could be wrong,) they are still NOT quite the same song.

Nevertheless, I will do my best to answer your questions. Please note that I've never read anything from Roger himself as to what this song is actually about...so, the following is just MY interpretation of his lyrics.

2. The Lonely Boys are people in positions of power and wealth. They are lonely because they are isolated by being locked in their towers of faith. Just like the lyrics say.

3. The Park is New York City's Central Park. Central Park is a beautiful place (so I hear,) but you don't want to get caught in it after dark, because you'll get mugged within an inch of your life.

4. Maybe it's just happenstance that they're there after dark...this line seems, to me, to be an indication of the level of paranoia that people in positions of power seem to be subject to. "Looking over their shoulders, checking out EVERY boulder in the park"...they're looking EVERYWHERE for threats, whether they're real or imagined. Perhaps the line isn't MEANT to be taken literally...the park and the boulders, etc. are all METAPHOR for that kind of paranoia.

5. The Gate is the big, metal thing at the entrance of the park that keeps people out when it's closed. Of course, if you linger in the park too long, you'll be trapped inside the park when the gate is closed.

Now...what does this have to do with The Bible, The Koran, The Torah, et. al.?

Nothing, really...but the song is not necessarily about those things. Roger just uses some of the imagery to indicate how long this sort of paranoia has been going on.

It goes all the way back to the beginnings of the Holy Wars...and extends right up to (what was then) the "present day."
risie
Embryo
Embryo

Towers Of Faith lyrics

Post by risie »

1. Since I'm not very much familiar with the bible or the jewish history;hence I can't understand the references in the song "Towers Of Faith AkA Folded Flags"

2. Who are the Lonely Boys?

3. What is the Park?

4. Why Do they go to park After Dark?

5. What is the Gate and what happens when they are closed?
Looking now at the lyrics, I was wondering what ever could he mean by " And this sand is my sand
And this band is my band" ? :roll: :twisted:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Folded Flags, by the way, isn't an instrumental reprise of ToF; it's another seperate song with a seperate melody and lyrics.
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Agreed Folded Flags is different.

Post by AsydWaters »

OK.My mistake.I now publicly announce to edit and remove "Folded Flags" from this thread.
BTW;having read afore posted;its no surprise that the song sounds like dogs.(Paranoia dept.)
So what does Rog mean when he sings "The Prophet reclined on Golan heights...."
1)Who is the "Thief"?
2)Does the Pope really not know "English"?
As to the mention of "this sand is my sand ;this band is my band"I think;Roger wrote that up to fill up the lyrics and if it had any thing intentional its just coincedence. :idea:
mosespa

Re: Agreed Folded Flags is different.

Post by mosespa »

AsydWaters wrote: 1)Who is the "Thief"?

2)Does the Pope really not know "English"?

3)As to the mention of "this sand is my sand ;this band is my band"I think;Roger wrote that up to fill up the lyrics and if it had any thing intentional its just coincedence. :idea:
1. In this instance, I think Roger is referring to whomever started the whole issue between the Israeli's and the Palestinians by trying to claim the Holy Land for themselves.

2. At the point in time that the song was written, Pope John Paul II was Polish and really didn't speak English very well.

3. I think it's fair to say that he used it to fill up the lyrics...but I also think it was just a wee bit intentional.