waters seems watered down to me...

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.

roger waters, do you have a hard time listening to solo stuff?

yes...
33%
no...
67%

Total votes: 42

MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

waters seems watered down to me...

Post by MadJedi »

i dont seem too thrilled over going to see waters :? i dont know why, but i really dont like his solo stuff... my only real interest is to get another "floyd fix" and it seems alot of his new "versions" of old floyd im not too crazy about, so im left torn on going...i want to i think, but im worried i will feel like i have "wasted" my money. i have a few ROIOS and VOIOS of his and dont seem to really enjoy them...i know there are a few waters fans here so dont get grumpy, this isnt some gilmour vs waters thread im just wondering how many here feel the same way?
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I bet Gunner says"off with his head"when he reads that post of yours. :lol:
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

Off with his head!!!!
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

No I don't feel the same way at all...remember Pros and cons could have been a Floyd album!

Roger's great live! Always has been...he doesn't need some speacial effects laser show going on to make the music interesting, he's just himself. He's more real than David is :twisted:

now, excuse me I must eat my tomato soup...this cheese expires on your birthday flashback :o

oh of course:

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!111
You stole my line you spoony bard! :twisted:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Demolition Man wrote:
What the hell do you mean you used it before he did :lol:
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Demolition Man wrote:
I was supposed to say it in the first place! so really you stole it from me, you dirty bastard!
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:No I don't feel the same way at all...remember Pros and cons could have been a Floyd album!

Roger's great live! Always has been...he doesn't need some speacial effects laser show going on to make the music interesting, he's just himself. He's more real than David is :twisted:
Like the time he played cards during dogs.

That was weird. If Narek and I played a PF song in Armenina style, we would kabob (How we Armenian's say barbecuing) during the dog solo.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:
Like the time he played cards during dogs.
I believe that was a reference to the days when PF used to build a table on stage as part of their show.

But I can't prove it :P

Jedi, if you don't enjoy Waters solo, you STILL might enjoy the show. As long as you think being in the same room with Roger Waters while he does his thing is worth the price of admission, I doubt that you'd really consider it a waste of money.

If you DON'T think it's worth the price of admission, though...you most likely would.

I guess basically, I'm suggesting that if the magic of PF lies in the performance of the music and the creation of the sound, you've gotten more out of that from Gilmour's shows than you're liable to get from Roger's show.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I don't like how he's handled his live songs without Dave. He tries getting the best imitators he can, but they fail awfully. He's trying to sound like Pink Floyd, but the DaveFloyd gets that sound better than he does. I really wish he'd cut his losses and make a few changes to his songs to keep what he can do and just change what Dave did that he can't imitate. Get the KAOS/P&C arrangement of WYWH back, try the Comfortably Numb solo on a sax and the chorus sang by Roger and his backup singers, have the Perfect Sense female lead singer do Money, and maybe even try singing a few Dave parts himself to remind us that we're not listening to a cover band.

Mysteriously, these complaints only apply to the ITF tour. For KAOS, he had done a perfect job of refitting the songs to fit the lack of Dave, passing up Comfortably Numb, getting Paul Carrack to make his own mark on Money, and treating himself like Roger Waters and not "this is Pink Floyd, despite the presence of just the songwriter/bassist".

His solo albums? I don't care much for P&C, but I adore KAOS and ATD; and Lost Boys Calling (the "new" version, not the demo) is one of my favorite solo Floyd tracks.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Roger's best live outing was the Pros and cons of hitchiking tours in 1984 and 1985. The musicians in those line-ups were better than any of his other solo line-ups. Clapton added a nice touch to the music (on the 1984 leg of the tour at least) and Michael Kamen's keyboard work complemented everything wonderfully. Andy Newmark was also the best drummer in Floyd history.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

The thing I liked about the 2000 leg of the ITF tour was the ATD stuff and hearing TFC live. Also hearing Roger sing Shine On(like he did on the original) was a refresher. I also liked Each Small Candle. Having said that, I am skipping this tour due to financial considerations(same reason I missed DG). I tried to get tickets but those f*ck*ng *ssh*l*s Ticketmaster STOLE ALL OF THE TICKETS and RESOLD THEM. The David Gilmour blog blamed eBay but they should look into Ticketmaster as the scalpers scooped them all and then RESOLD THE TICKETS!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote: I tried to get tickets but those f*ck*ng *ssh*l*s Ticketmaster STOLE ALL OF THE TICKETS and RESOLD THEM.
Ticketmaster doesn't steal tickets and then resell them.

Ticketmaster has exclusive contracts with every major venue in the US (if not the world...HOW Janet Reno managed to fail to see a monopoly is beyond me...maybe she couldn't see past all those zeros in her bribe check,)...the minute those tickets went on sale, Ticketbastard already had it's filthy little hands all over them.

It's not as if you could have gotten around Ticketbastard by buying your tickets sooner than what you did.

Tenniru wrote:
1. try the Comfortably Numb solo on a sax

2. and the chorus sang by Roger and his backup singers,
1. WTF?

2. Who would you suggest sing the verses, then? Remember, CN is SUPPOSED to have two lead voices: one for the doctor and one for Pink. You have just suggested that the man who typically sings the doctor now sing Pink...so, who would you suggest sing the doctor?
[/quote]
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

1. I think it's a good idea. It's weird, but... imagine the sax used on KAOS versions of WYWH playing the CN solo. Basically, it'd be very hard for someone to do the CN solo on a guitar without either changing his whole style or just sounding like a pale imitation. Clapton is the only man who comes to mind who could do the solo in his style and not sound bored.
A wailing sax is the only thing that comes to mind that would fit the loud, etheral arrangement CN usually has (well, in theory a Theremin would work but that's TOO odd). He could soften and change the whole arrangement, too, and let the solo be played on a piano or a less dramatic, simpler guitar (like the NPF Tribute vol. 2 incarnation, which is the PERFECT way to cover the song without also risking being funny.)

2. Good point. Just the ladies, then; they may not sound as overdramatic as the guy who did it on ITF:L.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

That idea reminds me of the 1984 arrangement of Hey you: the sax played the solo. I hated it! I think Roger should have let Clapton do that solo, and as a matter of fact let him do more solos in general on that tour. Luckily he did do solos on a few songs that originally didn't even have solos: The Gunner's Dream and Nobody home, both solos being excellent.

Clapton is the god of the strat!