waters seems watered down to me...

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.

roger waters, do you have a hard time listening to solo stuff?

yes...
33%
no...
67%

Total votes: 42

Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The Hey You solo was not a solo for a saxaphone, I agree. However, I still can't get the idea of a saxaphone wailing out CN's solo (just the main part, e.g. the studio version from start to where the improv usually begins... unless you have an excellent saxaphonist who could do the improv)... it'd sound better than the guitarists Roger tosses at them, I think.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

And Roger also had the sax instead of guitar solo on Have a cigar in 1984 as well :o
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Its strange, but coming home from the Gilmour show in Chicago I felt a real sense of completion at being able to see Dave and Rick live. I have no desire to see Roger play. I like his work, Radio KAOS and The Body being my favorites, but he just doesn't appeal to me live. :-k
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

I would never enjoy a Roger Waters show, cause some other person would be playing Daves parts, BLASPHEMY!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
Clapton is the god of the strat!
Uhhh...NO!!

THAT would be Gilmour.

To Tenniru: You've never heard ME play that solo...unfortunately, I'm not on Roger's list of "go to guys" for lead guitar work.
mourinho
Axe
Axe

Post by mourinho »

jambo wrote:I would never enjoy a Roger Waters show, cause some other person would be playing Daves parts, BLASPHEMY!!
it?s also a blasphemy whan David playes some roger?s tunes. :twisted:

my main credit goes to roger: the author of the lyrics and tunes.
Danny Moro
Axe
Axe

Post by Danny Moro »

Hello All You People

I've seen Roger twice (KAOS and then In The Flesh) and Dave's Pink Floyd once (Momentary Lapse). There is something about Dave's guitar playing that you certainly don't get at Roger's shows. And I miss that. But there's a depth of emotion that Roger can create that, to my mind, more than compensates. You get intimacy as well as bombast with Roger. I'd recommend any Floyd fan to see Roger play the material.

Hearing 'Every Stranger's Eyes' in concert brought tears to my eyes.

That said... though I'm glad that Roger's out touring again this summer, I'm suspicious that he's just using it as an excuse not to get his new album (albums?) finished. Amused to Death didn't work as a record for me. (I have listened all the way through, but rarely, and I find much of it a struggle.) But Roger is a talent and I'm happy to believe he's got more great records in him. If he has to have a displacement activity, touring is perhaps the least bad. I'd be feeling more positive, though, if I'd heard he was using some of the upcoming shows to try out new songs. But that doesn't seem to be the plan.

On a side note: I've not managed to get through the whole of Gilmour's new record. (I think his vocal melodies are just awful, as are most, if not all, of the words.) But I did, to my surprise, quite enjoy his turn on Jools Holland.

all best to all on the forum

Danny
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i agree with cwta eugene, on the way home from RAH i got speaking to this scottish guy about rogers tour and i thought about the fact that i have no real desire to see roger at all,

don't know why

i guess to me david is floyd, his voice and guitar, i dont care who plays drums or keys or bass he's the main man in my opinion
leonard
Embryo
Embryo

Post by leonard »

I've been in march at Gilmour's concert in Amsterdam and I've seen Roger Waters in Athens one week ago. There's a great difference between the shows. No offense for Gilmour fans ,I'm one of them to, he is a great guitar player and a great vocalist but if you are going to see the remains of pink floyd that's roger waters.David Gilmour - was a beautiful concert. Roger Waters? - A great Pink Floyd Show.
thank you roger
DoctorFloyd

Post by DoctorFloyd »

To make the true music of pink floyd, you need David on guitar, and Rich on keyboard. You can session the bass and drums. They are the two that actually make the distinctive sound. Without them, I am sorry, but it is a Roger Waters show.
hsed
Axe
Axe

Post by hsed »

DoctorFloyd you are right only as far as the "music" is concerned. But is Pink Floyd just music? I certainly would hope not, I think they are much more than just a jam band.

The passion, emotion, and creativity that Waters brought to the table cannot be replaced. I went to DG's show in LA, and it was a very beautiful concert. But I wouldn't call it Pink Floyd by a longshot, yes musically it sounded like PF but without Roger the words simply had no meaning. DG can sing very well, but he can't do what Waters can with the lyrics because by and large they simply aren't his own.

Let's face it, without Waters and DG nothing will ever sound truly like PF and satisfy all fans.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Are we talking about Roger's solo tours or solo material? The thing is that it doesn't matter how good or bad his solo material is, on this latest tour at least, because he plays so little of it.

I have never seen either of them (or PF) in the flesh, but based on video stuff from their solo tours I think they would both put on a good show, and I would definitely go if they came to the wild south. I enjoyed Roger's Rio show. Sure he can't sing that well now, and it does appear that some backing tapes are being used for vocals. However, it is great to see him presenting his songs and his show, almost like a kind of ring-master. He may not do much, but he is the glue that holds it all together, or maybe the catalyst that makes it work.

As regards his solo albums, I loved "Hitchhiking", liked "KAOS", thought parts of "Amused" were okay, and will probably never listen to "Ca Ira" again. In other words he has got worse over time. I still think he is capable of delivering something though, and I am looking forward to his next album(s).

I don't really think of "The Body" as being Waters solo; it is more like a Geesin album on which Waters guests.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think it all depends on what you mean by "Pink Floyd show."

While Pink Floyd has always been about a great light show that goes with the music, it wasn't until Roger started coming up with the concepts that the shows became more theatrical.

Without Roger, a lot of the theatricality is gone...it's just a light show that goes with the music.

Now, that's how they started and they apparently did some great shows that way. But I think that when people talk about Roger being able to give more of a "Pink Floyd show" than Gilmour, they are referring to the fact that there's more happening visually than just a light show and the odd film clip.

Roger Waters may not be the greatest "actor" ever to grace a stage, but on the ITF video, when he started pantomiming the role of the submarine captain during Perfect Sense, I thought it was quite entertaining.

The card game during Dogs was, IMO, sheer brilliance. It gave the show something different while at the same time referencing when PF would build a table onstage and sit around it as part of the show.

Roger actually tries to do something more than just stand there and play while technicians run the visuals.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I loved Roger's "acting" on The Wall tour. Him sitting on stage and rocking back and forth screaming. Now that's rock and roll! :wink:
carefule eugene
Knife
Knife

Post by carefule eugene »

Tenniru wrote:I have the Perfect Sense female lead singer do Money, .
mmm i :D like that idea, PP Arnold sounds amazing on Perfect Sense, I think you are right that when she should sing money it will give the song a new dimension in stead of sounding like a bad coverperformance...