Set the controls from Rio

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Set the controls from Rio

Post by Alternative 4 »

I have to say this is my favourite version of the song. The contemporary take on the jam in the middle is amazing. The keyboard swells are comparable to something from Porcupine Tree's The sky moves sideways. The clarinet (?? Probably wrong) solo was a nice addition, giving a lovely feel comparable to Pompeii. Although snowy's solo was a little more restrained than on ITF and the tone was different it was still great. All in all it sounds like a classic song reinterprited to suit a bigger stage and different time period. Maybe Roger still is a genius.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Agreed. A new guitarist, a new band, and a lack of gong hasn't stopped Roger; and instead of reverting to the old BBC/ASOS version, he's taken the liberty of making a new arrangement to suit him. I LOVE the 2006 incarnation of StC; it's one of my favorite versions, alongside Rotterdam 1971.

I wish he'd do the same to his other stuff to fit his voice, as opposed to Dave's or his young voice. The remakes of WYWH, Pigs, Machine, and the like come to mind.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

How about careful with that axe eugene?
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

A song based around a young voice that no longer exists would be hard to re-adapt... unless it was reworked into a funeral dirge (moreso than usual) and the scream was replaced with a half-hearted "eeeeeeeeeeegh". (In his new, real "Have A Cigar" voice.)