What Version of Set The Controls....?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
bmet
Knife
Knife

What Version of Set The Controls....?

Post by bmet »

What version of Set The Controls... is Roger performing?
The Jazzy Saxophone version that was on his last tour or the 70's version with the "Gong"?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Somewhere on here is a post where someone who's seen the show has said that Roger is doing a new version of it...apparently the song has been stripped down and rebuilt or something.

I think it might be interesting to see him do that with the entire set...although at the same time, I hate it when bands completely rework their songs (i.e., Every Breath You Take 86 by The Police...although I like Strutter 78 better than the original...*shrug*)
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

It's similar to the ITF make, but the guitar solo is longer and more powerful; the sax solo is extended as well. The chanting monks are also still there.
Mooner
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Mooner »

No gong, but I think Roger's done a fine job of modernizing it. The guitar and sax are quite sweet.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Mooner wrote:No gong, but I think Roger's done a fine job of modernizing it. The guitar and sax are quite sweet.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Mooner wrote:modernizing it.
What exactly is 'modernising' in terms of reworking a song ?
I know what you are getting at but to me, it's a very subjective subject to almost coin some sort of a phrase.
I have heard songs over the years that have been 'brought up to date' and frankly, the producer in most cases deserves to have his eardrums pulled out from his ears without anaesthetic as alot of them just don't understand the artistry and feeling involved in putting a song together in the first place. These basterds just like twiddling knobs for the sake of it.
'Modernising' in context here is merely just rearanging the structure of a song or altering it's dynamic surely ?

Going back to the song involved here, i just wish he'd play it like it were recorded.