Hyde Park - what did you think?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
meddleinthemiddle
Embryo
Embryo

Hyde Park - what did you think?

Post by meddleinthemiddle »

I know this is a really obvious post, but goddamnit yesterday was good!
(I warn you though, this is gonna sound cheesy as hell!)

It was the first time I'd ever seen a member of Pink Floyd and it was just so perfect. For me, he performed everything about the floyd that I love them for and was a note perfect reproduction (the guitarist and sax player were particularly impressive.)

It was just one of those experiences I'll never forget: hearing these songs that i love so much, being played in front of me by the man who wrote them, singing each word with thousands of other people. You all feel kind of 'connected.'

Highlights for me were Darkside, (especially Great gig, with those wonderful vocals, and eclipse - it just felt so epic)
also, shine on, wywh and comfortably numb were special.

It was wthout a doubt the best gig I've ever been to. I'm sure other people who've seen any of them will know what I'm talking about. There were certain moments you know when the hairs on the back of you're neck stand up, and you just can't believe what you're seeing.

What did anyone else think?
:smt040
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

I didn't go......the thought of him playing Dark Side and replicating it without it's original guitar player made me feel blase about the whole thing. Add to that hardly any material from Amused to Death and it made my mind up. If he had included the last three songs from ATD, it might have swayed me. I am sure i would have appreciated it though if i had have attended.
I can understand how you must have felt going to see any member of Pink Floyd for the first time, must have been an amazing experiance.
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

hyde park...

Post by bluedolphin »

still recovering.......was awesome!!! :shock: :)
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Good for you meddleinthemiddle. It must have been awesome getting a chance to see the legend live at last. Glad it lived up to your expectations.

Never seen any Floydian live, but I can remember seeing Deep Purple a couple of years ago. I didn't care that they all looked like they were 70 years old; I can just remember thinking "WOW. That's Ian Gillan up there; that's really HIM!!! And he shook my hand!!!!". As with your Waters experience, it helped that they delivered a killer show with all the songs you really want to hear.

Get an pictures?
DoctorFloyd

Post by DoctorFloyd »

I thought it was pretty fantastic. It was much more of a show than the David Gilmour concert - more like a rock show than a gig. I loved the surround sound, goddamn it was loud for an outdoor concert. The explosion in perfect sense was immense. I loved the pyro stuff as well. It was a very good show, well presented, and well played - and Nick Mason! Ooh yeah! I have now seen every single member of Pink Floyd live in concert - I reckon next year i'll see em all together. I was very impressed, and there was no lip synching of any sort. Dark side of the moon was pretty damn amazing, I have seen aussie floyd do it live, but this knocked the socks off their performance by such a long way.

The only downside, if there was one, was the fact that I didn't like Dave Kiliminsters playing. I don't like the sound a telecaster makes instead of the tone of the strat I am used to, and while it was good guitar playing, I found myself wishing it sounded more like Dave, or even was Dave. Gilmour just makes every note sound like it is coming from the heart, whereas Kiliminster just didn't really. Snowy white was pretty good though, but again, I found myself wishing for the sound of a strat rather than a Les paul.

But overall, an amazing show, amazing screen animations and films, good pyro stuff, good voice by Roger, and a lot of fun had all round. It was very very good, and oh so loud!

I have to say, I still enjoyed Gilmour's concert more, because it was more of Floyd there, and I much prefer Gilmours guitar to anyone else playing those songs - plus I like Division Bell songs, and it was more intimate, but they were completely different style of shows, Davids more about simply the music and having a good time, Rogers about that too, but more political and making a statement. Therein lies the difference between the two I think.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

DoctorFloyd wrote:The only downside, if there was one, was the fact that I didn't like Dave Kiliminsters playing.
I didn't like his playing either. He seemed to play exactly the way the studio versions were played. Not that it's such a bad thing. But I would have thought there would be some changes or some improvisation involved. It took me a while to realise that the guitar player there was infact Dave Kiliminster....I thought Roger had hired some female guitarist :o So he had me fooled....the way he dressed ! :o
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

I thought it was awesome.

Roger is such a charismatic front person and really connected with the crowd. In contrast Gilmour always appears quite 'background' even in gigs under his own name.

Roger was in excellent voice and was good humored with the crowd which I think made them very receptive to his solo stuff and the one brand new track he played.

Rarities were the highlights for me: The two final cut tracks he played were surprisingly uplifting, moving and unexpectedly athematic. 'Bring the boys back home' was absolutely electric as the track now appears more appropriate now than any other time in the last 27 years.

One of the best gigs I've ever been to.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Anyone bootleg it?
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

jambo wrote:Anyone bootleg it?
I filmed about 3 full songs. Will put them on youtube when I get a chance.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

decampos wrote:
jambo wrote:Anyone bootleg it?
I filmed about 3 full songs. Will put them on youtube when I get a chance.
If you could digitally transfer the masters to computer, it would be great. We could make a NPFTracker exclusive DVD.
mdp963
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mdp963 »

This year is the 40th anniversary of the first time I saw Pink Floyd - I have seen them probably over 30 times

Roger on Saturday, gave the best performance of his Pink Floyd songs that I have seen since the original performances

BUT - I agree with others, the guitarists were not up to Gilmour standards - but can they ever be??

On the plus side it was brilliant to see and feel Nick Mason again - it goes to show the true weaknesses of tribute bands and Gilmour when performing Pink Floyd songs - absolutely nobody can do the rhythm section like Waters and Mason

Another HUGE plus was to see and hear him do something I have wished for many years - to do some of the stuff from the 60's - with modern equipment and techniques. His revised version of one of my favourites - Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun was excellent - maybe not quite how I would have done it but nevertheless it did prove that something written 38 years ago still has great merit and has stood the test of time so well

Without out doubt one of the best concerts for many years :P :P
Last edited by mdp963 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Was the Hyde Park gig broadcast on TV?
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

jambo wrote: If you could digitally transfer the masters to computer, it would be great. We could make a NPFTracker exclusive DVD.
ok, they're not brilliant though, filmed on 'shaky cam'. There's 'Breath' (with Nick), 'Perfect Sense pt1', 'Southampton Dock' and most of 'Have a cigar'.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

The gig at hyde was park 10 out 10 for me i think the highlight was darkside of the moon it was loud and the sound was in surround ,the chimes were ear piercing ....
and stu done well to film it with us lot and our drunk shannanigans and singing but basicly there was a good few sing along tunes and the crowd abliged ..overall a top day (except england ..the refs a wanker) and the fact that i fuckin hate london transport... well the tube.... and we ended up walkin (stumbling (a bottle of jack d and about 12 pints) round london not havin a clue where we was and then finding a tube station ... i think it was knightsbridge ..... well it was the right one anyway cos we needed to get back to earls court ... where we had a pint in the pub across the road then went to the snide digs where we were staying and had a couple more beers and then went to bed about 2.30 ish then got up at 6'ish sparked a can of beer... cos it was the only thing that was there and cold (cos the taps in the hotel were both hot water :roll: :shock: ) then left for the longest train rides home ever ....when i got home i had an hour or so kip (sleep) then we had the best storm i've seen in years ...i .love thunder and lightning ..although i had to move away from the window a few times cos it was a bit to close :shock: it lasted about 2 hours :lol: ............ and there you go
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

DoctorFloyd wrote:I didn't like Dave Kiliminsters playing. I don't like the sound a telecaster makes instead of the tone of the strat I am used to, and while it was good guitar playing, I found myself wishing it sounded more like Dave, or even was Dave. Gilmour just makes every note sound like it is coming from the heart, whereas Kiliminster just didn't really. Snowy white was pretty good though, but again, I found myself wishing for the sound of a strat rather than a Les paul.

I have to say, I still enjoyed Gilmour's concert more, because it was more of Floyd there, and I much prefer Gilmours guitar to anyone else playing those songs - plus I like Division Bell songs, and it was more intimate, but they were completely different style of shows, Davids more about simply the music and having a good time, Rogers about that too, but more political and making a statement. Therein lies the difference between the two I think.
Roger was outstanding, I mean, he was fucking awesome! I had expected him to leave a lot of the bass playing and vocal duties to the band, but he didn't. He sounded fantastic and was so charismatic on stage. He appeared to be enjoying himself as much as the crowd were. I really, really enjoyed the show.

I agree with DoctorFloyd about the guitars though. For me, the guitar parts are the single most vital musical aspect of the songs which need to sound authentic, and they didn't. I too found myself aching to hear them played with the feel and timing that David Gilmour so effortlessly manages, particularly Time and Comfortably Numb, which in my opinion were the two worst-played guitar parts of the show. To explain, imagine David Gilmour, or anyone in fact, performing Pink Floyd songs but frequently changing the lyrics to ones that say the same sort of thing, but without the eloquence of Roger's phrasing. It really does affect the songs. But of course I didn't expect the guitarists to replicate the inimitable David Gilmour sound.

It was a very different style of concert from that which David Gilmour is currently touring. Musically, David and his band had Roger and his band licked. But that was to be expected. I felt more involved in Roger's show. I sang and danced the whole way through (except during Vera), where as I watched and listened to David's show in hushed reverence, as did the rest of his audience. Like DoctorFloyd, the show that meant most to me was David's. I was absolutely in awe watching and listening to him. The music was just astonishing, Echoes in particular. But that's not to take away from Roger's show at all; the fantastic atmosphere and good, loud renditions of the songs with Roger giving it his all made it one hell of a show. Me and my ma watched from the front row. It was quite something to be so close to Roger doing his thing. My ma blew him a kiss, which was received with a wry smile. She hasn't come back down to earth yet.

I hope they keep touring for a few more years. They've ruined live music for me, :lol: having set an unreachable benchmark. Everything else seems so pedestrian in comparison. Before I first saw Pink Floyd, live gigs gave me such a buzz. Since, every other gig I go to feels a bit flat (Gilmour and Waters shows aside of course). I saw The Eagles last week. I'm not much of a fan but I fancied seeing them. They were superb, not a single instrumental or vocal note missed, yet I just found the show... nice.