Shine On and Wish You Were Here: What Next?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Shine On and Wish You Were Here: What Next?

Post by Tenniru »

We've all heard the devastating news. Roger Keith Barrett died. Fans who haven't even met the man can't even play or hear Shine On and Wish You Were Here without crying. I can barely listen to Poles Apart, myself.
How are people who knew and loved him and saw the entire thing unfold going to be able to play these songs 24 hours after he died? I'm talking about Roger Waters, namely his upcoming date in Lucca tomorrow.
What do you think will (or should) happen to the setlist? Will he even be able to sing the songs? Or will he give us a vast tribtue, playing some Syd songs? Will he be able to play at all tomorrow?

I think the best thing he could do (if he could) would be to give a speech and maybe add a new song (Golden Hair, Swan Lee, Arnold Layne, Apples And Oranges) to the setlist. Shine On, played while the huge image of young Syd is onscreen, is just too much; it should be retired at least until the US tour begins.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I'm curious to hear how the other members of Floyd will respond. Especially Roger and David, though.
cloudview
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cloudview »

Damn I was just in Lucca to see Clapton...
I know someone named Kevin "BootLeg" who goes to every, and I mean every show. He pays for it by selling knock off T-shirts including some P&C and KAOS. Anyway he has two buddies who record (video) all the shows, and I think they will be in Lucca. I know Kevin will be there so I think their will be an online bootleg floating around...

EDIT: To be more on topic, I kinda doubt he will change much of the show, maybe something different for SOYCD but thats it. The shows already have a strong political feeling to them. (Though im sure there will be some sort of speech)
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Its going to be hard for Rick too he the most sensitve out of them all he must tearing his self apart at the loss off his closest friends from the 60's

And for David considering he teached Syd how to play and David is playing the most powerful version of Shine On on his tour some emotinal scenes from David and Rick and the audience during that song when David goes back on Tour IMO.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

So Roger's latest concert ended several hours ago. I guess now we wait for a setlist and a description to surface. (What'd be really neat is if someone recorded the radio broadcast of it.)
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:I'm curious to hear how the other members of Floyd will respond. Especially Roger and David, though.
I'm especially curious to hear what Rick has to say. Nick as well, for that matter.
astroguato
Embryo
Embryo

Post by astroguato »

Tenniru wrote:So Roger's latest concert ended several hours ago. I guess now we wait for a setlist and a description to surface. (What'd be really neat is if someone recorded the radio broadcast of it.)
It seems that he didn't change the setlist, at least the 1st half.

http://bigozine3.com/rarities/?p=32
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Wow. I wonder how he managed to get through those songs.

Oh, and some neat proof that Rog isn't lip-syncing (at least on WYWH); did anyone notice a bizzzare, robotic voice on him as he spoke? As if he sounded like he was in a tin can, and a crowd of people were echoing his words behind him? I knew something was fishy about that sing-along effect.

You realize what this means. The audience has just been caught lip-syncing. Bloody cheaters.

(Oh, and I took the liberty of uploading the FM broadcast of set #1 to the NPF tracker. Grab it.)
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Perhaps Roger will finally sing us his "Walk With Me Sydney" song he wrote back in the late sixties.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I'd like him to play "Folded flags" for once
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'd like to hear that...and Towers Of Faith.