Perfect Sense?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Perfect Sense?

Post by nemesis11f »

I am curious. I have often heard that Roger Waters was denied the use of the HAL 9000 sound effects in Perfect Sense when he was recording it back in 1990 or whenever the hell he did it. However, I do notice a correlation between Stanley Kubrick's death and the appearance of the sound effects in In the Flesh Live. Could anyone shed some more light on the history of Perfect Sense for me? Thanks.

On another note, a friend of mine told me that he enjoyed Roger's voice at the beginning on Perfect Sense, pt. 1 (Live) . When I prodded him further, he claimed to like the voice over that Waters did at the beginning, saying it was very unlike him, and he could barely tell it was him. When I told him that was because it was not Roger Waters, but Douglas Rain, he actually told me that he knows someone on tour, and that's where he heard it from. I explained to him the concept of the HAL 9000, and he claims never to have seen 2001, either. Fool.
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

I believe what started that issue between Roger and Stanley was that Stanley Kubrick wanted "free rein" to use music from Atom Heart Mother in his film "A Clockwork Orange." The band didn't agree...

So, when Roger approached Stanley about his use of HAL9000 sounds I guess he said....No...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

As is mentioned in the thread about Roger's "American" accent, the sportscasters in Perfect Sense are Marv Albert and Patrick Leonard...NOT Roger Waters.

The sportscasters in the live shows were ALSO Marv Albert and Patrick Leonard, thanks to the miracle of pre-recorded tapes.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

that's a damn shame he couldn't get clearance to use HAL on that track for the record. It's from quite a moving scene in the movie. I don't like the weird choking sounding backwards talking in its place. Makes me feel ill.

The original demos from before the album came out have the HAL sample.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

They do? How do you know this? (They weren't bootlegged, were they?)

Also, out of curiosity... was AHM's use in Clockwork Orange going to be that one song that caused the main character to vomit or something whenever he heard it? I can see how Roger wouldn't want that; bad publicity and all.
Demolition Man
Knife
Knife

Post by Demolition Man »

decampos wrote:The original demos from before the album came out have the HAL sample.
Did the demos ever surface?