Roger's concert-9/12-9/13 at MadisonSquareGarden,NYC

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Roger's concert-9/12-9/13 at MadisonSquareGarden,NYC

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

Since this is going to be a long review, it will be in two parts.

Before the show started, the background screen showed a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red, a shot glass, a butt-filled ash tray and an old fashioned radio with 2 dials. Occasionally, a hand would pour a drink or change the radio station.

Then the show began. Playlist as follows:

In The Flesh
Mother
Set The Controls
Shine On
Have A Cigar
Wish You Were Here
Final Cut
Fletcher Memorial Home
Perfect Sense
Leaving Beirut
Sheep

Intermission

Dark Side of the Moon

Encore

Another Brick In The Wall
Vera
Comfortably Numb
Bring The Boys Back Home

A nice 2-song photographic tribute to Syd. Then another tribute to the victims of 9/11 (on 9/12) while singing Wish You Were Here. An astronaut floating in the air during Perfect Sense.

Then he went on to say that his new song, Leaving Beirut, was about his experience in Beirut which took place when he was 17 years old. Seems that his car broke down on some lonely road. A stranger comes up to him and offers to help him. Roger notices that the man has only one leg and walks with crutches. They walk together to the man's house, where he is offered dinner. He notices that the man's wife is hunch-backed. While he and the man are eating, Roger realized that he is eating the wife's dinner. Then there is another shocker....the very young child in the family has only one eye. He sleeps in their bed, they sleep on the floor. He then goes on to say that he is amazed at the generosity of these people who had next to nothing. Of course, he his now going on to bash America's greed regarding oil, Bush bashing, and how can we wage war against these innocents. While this song is going on, the story is being shown on the screen, done in black and white pencil etchings, or something like that. Now, this story take place back around 1960 or 1961, 45 years ago. Seems that the car he was driving was something like a Mercedes, or some other big gas guzzler of that time. There was no oil or gas shortage then, though there was a shortage sometime in the 1970's. There were no terrorist attacks that we were aware of. End of song. Now, in addition to applause, the was a good deal of BOOING, yes BOOING! Very big surprise. The opening notes of Sheep stopped the BOOING.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Rogers Concert 9/12-9/13 at Madison Square Garden, NYC

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

Part 2.

During the song Sheep, there is the Flying Pink Pig, on which is written "Impeach Bush" "Vote in November" and a bunch of other things. On the background screen is a picture of the album cover of Animals.

Most of the songs were done quite well. Wish You Were Here was done without the 5 minute intro. Fletcher Memorial had a very strong sound to it. Very nice pictures on the backgroung screen, along with some pyrotechnics.

Intermission.....and the start of part 2 of the concert, which is The Dark Side of the Moon. Roger introduces Nick Mason and the music begins. Crowd goes crazy. When On The Run plays, the background is not the hospital or airport; it's an optic experience....swirls, circles, lines, a whole mish-mash of sights. The harmony and timing with Roger and Nick on Time is perfect. The vocal on Great Gig in the Sky is exceptionally forceful. Makes Claire Torrey sound as if she were singing softly. The rest of the songs are done well.

Encore.....Everyone sings to Another Brick in the Wall, the next 3 songs are sung, the concert ends.

On Wednesday, 9/13, same playlist. The biggest surprise is that after Roger sings Leaving Beirut, the BOOING on that night is even louder, with alot more of the audince BOOING than the night before. :shock: Another disaster of the night is while singing Us and Them, Roger either sings an incorrect line or incorrect words, he has to sing the line over. :shock:
Before starting the encore, Roger introduces the New York Boys Choir, about 15 boys and young men ranging from about 11 to 16 years old. They sing with him on Another Brick in the Wall Part 2, and sing along on the rest of the songs.

End of review.....Hope others will write about their experiences at some of the other concerts.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Thanks for sharing your review. I wish I had an opportunity to see him on this current tour!!!

Perhaps you should consider adding some additional writing to your review and make an article out of it for the NPF Magazine!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Excellent review.

Shame about the crowd booing Roger and co. I can't say that I am in complete agreement with every lyrical statement he comes out with (as is probably evident from my posts on the "religion" and "believe in God" threads), but why can't people just shut up and listen to the music? In a land of free speech, shouldn't he be entitled to state his opinion? I wish people would not take it all so seriously!!

Funnily enough, it is good to hear that Rog flupped a line and had to sing it over. Seems to be proof that (Rio notwithstanding) he is all live these days.
Last edited by Sonic Destruction on Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Post by nemesis11f »

Pat Albertson wrote:Excellent review.

Shame about the crowd booing Roger and co. I can't say that I am in complete agreement with every lyrical statement he comes out with (as is probably evident from my posts on the "religion" and "believe in God" threads), but why can't people just shut up and listen to the music? In a land of free speech, shouldn't he be entitled to sate his opinion? I wish people would not take it all so seriously!!

Funnily enough, it is good to hear that Rog flupped a line and had to sing it over. Seems to be proof that (Rio notwithstanding) he is all live these days.

Thank you, that should put all these idiots flapping their gums to rest. If he resang a line, and there was only one (1) of his voice singing, then I guess he is not lip-synching after all. Great review, by the way, and although I find it rather amusing that he was booed so much, I really feel sorry for the guy, and I do wish that people would just shut up and enjoy the music. I disagree with him on just about every current issue, but you know, he isn't really attacking America or saying, "Kill all the Jews". Far from it, in fact, and although I am quite conservative, I think that a certain asshole President should be ousted (not impeached, as Roger Waters seems to think that impeachment is a removal from office, while it is only an indictment). He is giving his time for our enjoyment, and I respect him far too much to boo him over a stupid thing like his views on the Middle East. Just enjoy the music folks, dont take everything so personally.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

still, if he got booed in Manhattan, whats gonna happen when his tour hits the Red States?
this tours starting to get more interesting!
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Post by nemesis11f »

All I am going to say is that the Bristow show will be VERY interesting. Like I said, I dont agree with him on the principle, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna boo any member of Pink Floyd; that's not only rude, it borders on heresy. (exasperated sigh). Yes, redneck VA will be very interesting, so I'll let you all know how it goes.

I really shouldn't slam on the rednecks, as my neck is just as red as the best of them. I suppose I appreciate music, though, and know when a good thing like Roger Waters comes around to not spoil it.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Maybe he could have Nick Mason guest at that show for a version of Nick's solo track "Boo To You Too".
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

[quote="Pat Albertson"]Excellent review.

Shame about the crowd booing Roger and co. I can't say that I am in complete agreement with every lyrical statement he comes out with (as is probably evident from my posts on the "religion" and "believe in God" threads), but why can't people just shut up and listen to the music? In a land

Yes, this is a land of free speech.
Roger stated his opinions in his songs, the audience Booed back. That was their opinion of his opinion.
Then they went on to listen to the music.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

My hope is that in Bristow enough people will boo and leave that I'll be able to sneak my way to a better seat.

Then again, Virginia recently elected a Democraic governor, all State Senate seats up for grabs went blue (still no Democratic majority in the State Senate, though), and things are looking very uncertain for Republican Senator George Allen.

Either way, I win.
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

I just read the pig thing on the drudge report, I guess he thought waters is an important enough artist to comment about!
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash3.htm
Does anybody have a link to other pictures of the pig?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Re: Roger's concert-9/12-9/13 at MadisonSquareGarden,NYC

Post by simpledumbpilot »

AtomHeartMomma wrote:Playlist as follows:....
Final Cut.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

When was that added? havent had chance to keep up with the happenings on Rog's tour. Or is it a mistake?
AtomHeartMomma wrote:Wish You Were Here was done without the 5 minute intro.
Theres been a 5 minute intro?????????? whats going on with this tour????
Craig Marion
Blade
Blade

Post by Craig Marion »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Final Cut.

When was that added? havent had chance to keep up with the happenings on Rog's tour. Or is it a mistake?
Yes I saw him at Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ on Saturday September 16th and he did in fact play Final Cut and Fletcher...great stuff! It was a wonderful show and a sell out crowd. I never saw the Tweeter Center so jam packed with people.
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Final Cut.

What I meant about Wish You Were Here without the 5 minute intro was that it differed from the original studio version
chuckmein
Axe
Axe

Post by chuckmein »

Thanks for sharing , sounds like it was an amazing show.

Chuck