who wants a free ticket for Toronto Sept. 20!

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

who wants a free ticket for Toronto Sept. 20!

Post by nosaj »

I completely forgot about this concert, I have two tickets, Sec 108 Row 16, Seat 1 & 2. I just sent an email to a bunch of friends (who aren't into Pink Floyd) and making phone calls. I am willing to give one up to one of you, the catch is, there is only one and I am going after all (I don't like the setlist and a bunch of other things).

So it is a first response basis between this site, phone calls to friends and email to friends...Im at work right now and can't check on any of this till the end of the work day, which will be past 5pm Hogtown time...er...Toronto time.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

dang Nosaj I woulda gone with you but its too short notice
your talking tomorrow!
what with the train schedule and all Id have to miss two halfdays of work, and I cant do that just this moment
tell Roger to play Toronto this weekend instead and Ill join you

dont forget to give us a review!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

It would likely have been you or 2066 in my mind...but I found a few takers, so things are cool...I broke up with a woman this summer (who I would have asked to go) and put the concert out of mind because of work...I'v been a little under impressed with the setlist and not sure about sitting through DSotM, but my friend is enthused, so its growing in me (not sure about the lip-syching...watching the Cork show really made me think he is)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

:( Not going to be remembered as a favorite concert...left as ABitW2 started. Quiet show, not that much energy.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Damn! Snooze and I lose...but it's the thought that counts. Cheers, mate!
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

Really?! I thought it was amazing!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I'm biased against being a spectator at concerts larger than say 3, 000 to 5, 000 people. This is one of the few concerts of that size that when I left, my ears were not ringing, because the sound was not very loud where I was sitting (in 1987 for instance, when PF played Signs of Life, when the camera dipped underwater the ground shook :shock: )...I've already seen the concert on dvd - Cork (big mistake perhaps :roll: ). I'm convinced he is lip-synching a few songs.

Work has been stressful, so, maybe that contributed...oh, and none of this :arrow: :smt033 .

Who knows? I liked the spaceman though.

I guess I just really like 1970 - 1977 (mostly 70-72) more than the present, oh well.

I think a lot of people have and will enjoy it...I'm a cranky f*%@
MikeWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by MikeWaters »

haha understandable! It was my first Waters concert so I was there with open arms! I bought tickets for my brother and I too, so that definately helped the mood.

I loved it, but perhaps he was miming! Where is the footage that suggests he is?

Fletcher Memorial home was amazing!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

the Toronto Star had this none-too-flattering review of rogers concert this week:
TorontoStarMusicCritic wrote:The dissolution of Pink Floyd presented us with one of the most egregious instances of a rock band whose scattered parts add up to considerably less than their original sum.

Roger Waters, at least, hasn't been complicit in soiling the Floyd name since 1983's The Final Cut. But the fact that, after years of intermittently pimping The Wall whenever the solo thing ran aground, he's currently hauling a live version of Dark Side of the Moon around the globe instead of, say, a fond reprisal of Radio K.A.O.S. suggests he knows where his bread will always be buttered.

The Dark Side hook was enough to sell out the Air Canada Centre on Wednesday night and, thus, represented a small victory in his ongoing post-Floyd grudge match with David Gilmour, who played Massey Hall mere months ago to roughly a fifth of the crowd that soaked up Waters's unabashed, big-budget nostalgia trip at the ACC.

Still, it has to sting just a bit employing two guitarists night after night to approximate Gilmour's signature, smooth tones onstage ? especially when one of them has to take Gilmour's lead-vocal responsibilities on "Money," the ubiquitous Dark Side Of The Moon favourite, while Waters is anti-climactically relegated to the role of bass-toting sideman. And this was mere minutes after Waters had allowed himself, it could be argued, to be upstaged by the gut-busting female vocalist on "The Great Gig in the Sky" and the quadraphonic clockwork accompaniment to "Time."

The fussy Dark Side material ? for such a landmark album, it's sounding pretty tight-assed and toothless in its old age ? actually proved the least interesting component of the 2 1/2-hour show, since the predictability of the album's fixed sequence only served to draw attention to the fact one was essentially watching an officially ordained Pink Floyd cover band recreate its leader's past glories.

Much more fun was the first half, wherein Waters and the band offered likeable facsimiles of Floyd's biggest hits ? "Mother," "Shine on You Crazy Diamond," "Sheep" ? accompanied by some dazzling video animation, the requisite floating pig and, during "Diamond," a well-received photographic tribute to the late Syd Barrett. The solo stuff, meanwhile, was restricted to "Perfect Sense" and a dodgy new song called "Leaving Beirut," a well-intentioned number about an Arab family with whom a young Waters once spent a night that was doubly undercut by its pedantic lyrics and even more heavy-handed cartoon accompaniment.

Until the Pink Floyd reunion happens, it's as close as you'll get. You could obtain similar results for much less money at home, though, with a greatest-hits album and some creative lighting.
the criticisms are mostly similar to things weve all said here since this tour began
though its a bit harsh to criticize Roger for not trying to sing Great Gig!
also, now i think it through, its true that everchanging lead guitar spot is a "give" that Roger knows how much he needs Dave but...
to keep saying Roger needs 3 guitarists to replace Dave is misleading
Dave himself used a a second guitarist: Phil Manzanera, and had Jon Carin to play many of the slide sections, so even Dave needs 3 guitarists to fill his own shoes