Roger Waters Visit to West Bank 2009 - Story and Photos

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger Waters Visit to West Bank 2009 - Story and Photos

Post by kitkat »

Idisaffect wrote:
Complaining about Roger Waters expressing his opinion is more childish than him expressing that opinion. You want him to be a martyr?
Wow, talk about missing everybody's point. :lol:

Nobody is "complaining about Roger waters expressing his opinion".

Many of us are complaining that his opinion sure seems il-informed and naive and simply wrong. You see, people are allowed to express opinions and people are also allowed to express opinions about the opinions that other people have expressed.

This seems REALLY confusing for you. 8-[

EDITED BY ADMIN - Please read the forum rules regarding personal attacks on others forum members. It if continues, you will receive up to three warnings then be banned from the forum. Respect other people's right to their opinions.
Danielsharris15
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Danielsharris15 »

First, I would like to thank whomever wrote the article for their objective view of the matter. I am also very pleased with the responses. Before I state my opinion, please me allow me to share my own background/biases.
I come from a family of Jewish Zionists. My grandparents met on a ship going to Palestine (which it was called in the 1930s), and decades later two of my aunts emigrated to Israel. Almost everyone in my family, including myself, has been to Israel at least once. My wife and I became Orthodox Jewish almost 3 years ago. Politically I have always been a moderate liberal. 2008 is the first time that I ever voted Republican in a U.S. presidential election; and I have been voting since 1984. My sole reason for voting against President Obama was that in the debates he refused to say that he would defend Israel, whereas McCain made it crystal clear that he would.
I could quote the rhetoric of my right-wing friends and Orthodox Jewish community, which is that Israel was given to the Jews in the bible, and who should dispute the bible. However, that is not really the way that I feel. Personally I understand the need for a 2-state solution. Israel should stop building in the West Bank. Whether the West Bank is to be a Palestinian territory or a Palestinian state, it makes no difference; Israel should not be building there. However, I have a very difficult time with granting statehood to a country whose highest goal is to murder my kin.
The fact that the Arab countries refuse to recognize Israel's right to exist is horrendous. How can Israel be expected to negotiate with people who refuse to recognize Israel's right to exist? Although President Obama recently advocated for a two-state solution, he also made it clear that other countries must recognize Israel's right to exist. Roger Waters doesn't see that. What is his proposed solution for Israel? Right now it seems that his only solution for Israel is do what he told the Jews to do before, and that's line up against the wall.
Bumr50
Axe
Axe

Post by Bumr50 »

I'd like to add, Danielsharris, that while it is wrong for Israel to expand physical borders, the Palestinians refuse to back off of the stance of "no natural growth." They've made clear that that's about population. So if a baby is born in the settlement, someone else must leave.
That's why the Israelis are so adamant about NOT abiding by that, and I think justifiably so.
But you don't hear much about that in the American media.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

I completely agree with everything Bumr and DanielsHarris posted. Obama's position of no more settlements and thus no natural growth means that the Jews there cant have families and grow the natural way. I guess if you have a child or two, grandma needs to go away.

Maybe Roger is serious when he sings "....and that one looks Jewish...who let all this riff raff into the room?....If I had had my waaaaay, I'd have all of them shot!!!"

Kidding of course but Waters needs to open his mind a bit and stop hating the west so much.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The west needs to stop loving itself so much first.
kitkat
Knife
Knife

Post by kitkat »

danielcaux wrote:The west needs to stop loving itself so much first.

Nothing wrong with preferring the east. It seems a bit hypocritical to be calling out the west constantly yet enjoying the best the west has to offer and enjoying stuff that he wouldnt have gotten living in the east.

But, hey, thats just me...I could be wrong. But I aint. :lol:
Bumr50
Axe
Axe

Post by Bumr50 »

With the labour party taking a pretty good beating, perhaps Roger should make a go at Parliament.
micky
Embryo
Embryo

Post by micky »

With the labour party taking a pretty good beating, perhaps Roger should make a go at Parliament.
:lol: Hey man i agree with you :twisted:

micky
Simulation pret
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I didn't know where to put this new interview link, but thought it was kinda related with this topic.

Walls of Division
Pink Floyd's Roger Waters adds his voice to the calls for Israel to remove its separation wall.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

well, that's a better title than The Final Momentary Lapse of the Moon i guess...