New Roger Waters album?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: New Roger Waters album?

Post by nosaj »

I really hope he does release another album...Before any tours or dvds or anything...um, uh, maybe I better hope for something more archival BEFORE a new album... ](*,) ](*,)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Roger Waters mentions a possible new album called Heartland again in Rolling Stone.

'Absolutely Determined to Make Another Album'
November 6, 2012
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

He has, of course, been saying this for some time so it remains to be seen. :D
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

nosaj wrote:Roger Waters mentions a possible new album called Heartland again in Rolling Stone
Oh I remember watching "Michael" back then. It was indeed rather boring and dumb, a road movie about an angel that was going to die or something like that, and so he wanted to visit the marvels of rural america before leaving. I guess the "Heartland" idea was somehow connected to "The Pros and Cons" running road trip motif...
jude111
Axe
Axe

Post by jude111 »

Judging by the title ("HEARTLAND"), I'm not getting my hopes up. I wish Waters' fixation with America had ended already. I remember U2's sudden America fixation resulted in the lackluster RATTLE & HUM; they quickly recovered, looked to Europe, and made their best and most visionary music yet (i.e. ACHTUNG, ZOOROPA). Waters' sadly followd up the US-centered PROS AND CONS with an album about a Los Angeles radio station, which was then followed by an album featuring duets with country singers (Rita Coolidge, Don Henley) and voiceovers from American football sports commentators (Marv Albert). Too bad Waters didn't head to Berlin like Bowie and Bono, to discover visionary music rather than deeply conservative American music. Sigh.
henno

Post by henno »

jude111 wrote:Judging by the title ("HEARTLAND"), I'm not getting my hopes up. I wish Waters' fixation with America had ended already. I remember U2's sudden America fixation resulted in the lackluster RATTLE & HUM; they quickly recovered, looked to Europe, and made their best and most visionary music yet (i.e. ACHTUNG, ZOOROPA). Waters' sadly followd up the US-centered PROS AND CONS with an album about a Los Angeles radio station, which was then followed by an album featuring duets with country singers (Rita Coolidge, Don Henley) and voiceovers from American football sports commentators (Marv Albert). Too bad Waters didn't head to Berlin like Bowie and Bono, to discover visionary music rather than deeply conservative American music. Sigh.
strange that Amused to Death is considered by many to be the best of all the Floyds solo albums, and is considered by waters himself to be the third in the trilogy of The wall, The Final Cut and Amused to death.

Definitely not a bad thing that he stuck with his american commentary for ATD as it was his views on the country that made it such a great album.... and one that i certainly do not consider as "deeply conservative".

In my opinion, he superceded Bowie and Bono by going to Berlin at such an energetic time and brought down the wall again.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

jude111 wrote:Judging by the title ("HEARTLAND"), I'm not getting my hopes up. I wish Waters' fixation with America had ended already. ...Waters' sadly followd up the US-centered PROS AND CONS with an album about a Los Angeles radio station, which was then followed by an album featuring duets with country singers (Rita Coolidge, Don Henley) and voiceovers from American football sports commentators (Marv Albert).
Interesting analysis, and very true. The influence of americana on Waters just grew bigger and bigger with each album following The Wall, and sent his own music on a downward slope, stylistically. And yes, I would expect Heartland to be filled with american culture motifs and traditional music, but it would made sense and fit there conceptually at least...
henno

Post by henno »

danielcaux wrote: Interesting analysis, and very true. The influence of americana on Waters just grew bigger and bigger with each album following The Wall, and sent his own music on a downward slope, stylistically. And yes, I would expect Heartland to be filled with american culture motifs and traditional music, but it would made sense and fit there conceptually at least...
Im not quite sure you could consider his music going on a downward slope after The Wall, as officially his only solo stuff started after The Wall. There no Roger waters solo albums to compare to prior to The Final Cut.

so taking his solo albums, and even taking The Final Cut away as it was basically a Pink Floyd album, His Three Solo Albums, PACOH, RK and ATD are what we have to consider. Ca Ira is a complete tangent.

so musically i think its disingenuous to suggest that his music went downhill from The Wall, as ATD is widely consider his best solo album.
In my opinion he actually gradually got better from PACOH to ATD, both in concept and music.

i too would expect Heartland to be very american centred, and judging by his appearance on On the Table
http://www.finedininglovers.com/video/o ... the-table/
hes as passionate as ever about the state of world politics..... which is GREAT!!!!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

In the latest issue of Mojo he says the new album will not go down well "in certain circles" and will not be a typical Roger Waters album. I don't own a copy of the magazine, I just flicked though.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

danielcaux wrote:The influence of americana on Waters just grew bigger and bigger with each album following The Wall, and sent his own music on a downward slope, stylistically..
henno wrote:so musically i think its disingenuous to suggest that his music went downhill from The Wall, as ATD is widely consider his best solo album. In my opinion he actually gradually got better from PACOH to ATD, both in concept and music.
But I was actually refering to the stylistics, all the little "american" details that he incorporated more and more with each album: the very soul-like and ever more prominet female back up singers on his songs, the old country man vocals on Watching TV, the very 80s american pop production of both KAOS and Amused, the super slick bass work from session musicians ...heck, even American Idol's Randy Jackson played on What God Wants!

You know, all those details that make you go ew! what was he thinking! Pros and Cons didn't have as much of those. It's almost as if he was trying to be musically more american than Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi ever since he left the Floyd. It's really a wonder that back then he didn't fall into wearing a red bandana in his head and playing with Steven Van Zandt! I guess it's alright if you are into traditional american pop music, but for those of us who don't, it was all downhill since The Final Cut... stylistically at least.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

danielcaux wrote:
danielcaux wrote:The influence of americana on Waters just grew bigger and bigger with each album following The Wall, and sent his own music on a downward slope, stylistically..
henno wrote:so musically i think its disingenuous to suggest that his music went downhill from The Wall, as ATD is widely consider his best solo album. In my opinion he actually gradually got better from PACOH to ATD, both in concept and music.
But I was actually refering to the stylistics, all the little "american" details that he incorporated more and more with each album: the very soul-like and ever more prominet female back up singers on his songs, the old country man vocals on Watching TV, the very 80s american pop production of both KAOS and Amused, the super slick bass work from session musicians ...heck, even American Idol's Randy Jackson played on What God Wants!

You know, all those details that make you go ew! what was he thinking! Pros and Cons didn't have as much of those. It's almost as if he was trying to be musically more american than Bruce Springsteen or Bon Jovi ever since he left the Floyd. It's really a wonder that back then he didn't fall into wearing a red bandana in his head and playing with Steven Van Zandt! I guess it's alright if you are into traditional american pop music, but for those of us who don't, it was all downhill since The Final Cut... stylistically at least.

What is this American pop music you speak of? Really?
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

Let's not forget he owes us further volumes of "The Solo Years". :razz:

As for the new album... Each Small Candle really got me thrilled for new music from Roger. For me, it is on par with the 70s Pink Floyd. Flickering Flame was fine, too. But since then? He released three (?) songs in the last ten years and none of them was worth it, in my opinion. So I am afraid he does not have any quality material (musically) and if he feels the same, it may also explain why the new album is taking him so long. And that would not be a very good sign.
Lurking Fear
Axe
Axe

Post by Lurking Fear »

I'd say in the last 15 years, Each Small Candle and the collaboration 'Hello, I Love You" were pretty good tunes. The other two fell completely flat, IMO.
I hope if he really does record a new album that he avoids the malaise that Dave fell into with On an Island. That album puts me to sleep... and leaving Beirut/to kill a child does also.

But as for Rog's american interests, he can really do whatever he likes. He's not really in it to make more boatloads of cash. Still, it would be nice to see him fire up the creative engine again rather than continually tinkering with the Wall. The additional medley at the end of ABITW II just sounds like crap to me.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Hey you Waters fans,

I've looked over Jordan, and I have seen, his new albums are just mere dreams!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

And just when we give up even hoping, he will release it! Mark my words 8)