Roger Waters Tour Date Announcements

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Gibbin82
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Roger Waters Tour Date Announcements

Post by Gibbin82 »

Thought you might like to see these photo's from Saturday night, pretty impressive . They are not mine but reposted here from the efestivals Glastonbury forum with permission from Keef the guy who took them.

My photos are online now

click here to see them

A few of the better ones:

Last edited by Gibbin82 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Nice photos - thanks
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

moodyblue wrote:
All show I had waited for the moment where Roger bangs the wall and the wall itself cracks with the bricks flying everywhere. I've seen many many shows over the last 35 years or so but this one moment is by far the best and most effective piece of graphic work I have ever seen. :D
There must be a mark or something as he seems to hit the right spot every time. And as you say that is an amazing bit of animation going from the grey bricks to the multi coloured garden behind
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Your pictures turned out much better than mine!

Could I put them in the NPF photo gallery?
Gibbin82
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gibbin82 »

Keith Jordan wrote:Your pictures turned out much better than mine!

Could I put them in the NPF photo gallery?

They are not mine but I am sure Keith Talbot the Guy who took them would be very happy for you to put them in the NPF gallery? I will ask him if he can also let you have the links to the other Wembley pictures in his photo album.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I had such an amazing time on Saturday night. I was completely blown away by the whole thing. The pyro's, the projections, the crashing Stuka, the solo's, the puppets, the crashing wall, the pig. Oh, it was all phenomenal! Couldn't fault it at all! Although, the atmosphere was quite melancholy to be honest, although it was very electric and excited, there was a sense of sadness that would be the last time we'll have a chance to see The Wall live again (apart from the next 3 shows). I certainly felt that during and after the show.

One thing I need to say about that night, nothing about the show, but about the staff at Wembley. Wow, how rude, and unhelpful. When were being 'batched' to go into the venue, we were pushed towards the 'B' turnstiles but our tickets said 'C', so we got out of the crowd and asked a steward that where we were supposed to go. To which he replied "You're in the wrong queue, you'll need to queue again', in fact we weren't in the wrong queue, we queued in 'B&C's' queue. We stood our ground, to which a female member of staff came over and very rudely said that "You weren't in the queue, I saw you cut across the crowd! You're going to have to get to the back of the queue". Knowing that were in the right, we stood our ground, and waited in the next batch. We were the first in that group of C's to be in the venue where it was a free for all in the bag searching and very abrupt and rude staff again.

But after all the trouble, we headed down onto the pitch, and oh wow what a sight. First off the size of the stadium, wow it was big and then the wall itself, I had tears in my eyes. I was there, about to watch the best rock show ever! It was very overwhelming! As were making our way down, we spotted space down the bottom at the barrier to the left, so we ran down the steps to the front and plonked ourselves right in front of the wall, and right infront of where Roger's hotel room would flip out. We were so close to the big guy himself that we made eye contact and he smiled at me and my mum. It was all too much haha. Here's how close we were:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 945a6a.jpg (It's in a link because it's over 800px)

Also, here's a couple of videos I took:
In the Flesh? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvMKQQU4 ... 54-_P7OY2Q
One of My Turns + Don't Leave Me Now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5BIH9Kd ... 54-_P7OY2Q

I wouldn't like to go back to Wembley stadium though, unless it was for something REALLY big, like The Wall. But overall, a fantastic night, something I will not ever ever ever forget for the rest of my life. And I want to thank my mum for taking me to see it, being a 15 year old lad, I got to love Pink Floyd's music through my parents and I love them forever for it!

:)
pinkyblue123
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkyblue123 »

Agree about the Stewards/Security, what were they getting paid for ?? My personal view, was that they just wanted to get people in as quickly as possible, no matter which section they were "booked" in to. And as for one (I'm sure their were more) idiot having pulled his trousers AND underpants down dancing (if you can call it that), to comfortably numb, WHY wasn't he ejected, as a steward was about 3 feet away..?? I had a decent view apart from the tower above the mixing desk, and couldn't see the left side of the stage for that, but having seen it at Manchester MEN (2011) before, I preferred it their. I thought the atmosphere would have been a lot better, being a larger venue, and only after "In The Flesh", Comfortably Numb, & Run Like Hell, did the crowd really have a reaction. As for the prices of Wembley, that's a different matter, but if someone can justify £6.40 for a cheeseburger [NO Chips], I'd like to meet them !!! All in All (sorry) lol, it was excellent sound, but in future, I'll stick to the "smaller" venues.
Isntthiswherewe
Blade
Blade

Post by Isntthiswherewe »

UsNotThem wrote:I had such an amazing time on Saturday night. I was completely blown away by the whole thing. The pyro's, the projections, the crashing Stuka, the solo's, the puppets, the crashing wall, the pig. Oh, it was all phenomenal! Couldn't fault it at all! Although, the atmosphere was quite melancholy to be honest, although it was very electric and excited, there was a sense of sadness that would be the last time we'll have a chance to see The Wall live again (apart from the next 3 shows). I certainly felt that during and after the show.

One thing I need to say about that night, nothing about the show, but about the staff at Wembley. Wow, how rude, and unhelpful. When were being 'batched' to go into the venue, we were pushed towards the 'B' turnstiles but our tickets said 'C', so we got out of the crowd and asked a steward that where we were supposed to go. To which he replied "You're in the wrong queue, you'll need to queue again', in fact we weren't in the wrong queue, we queued in 'B&C's' queue. We stood our ground, to which a female member of staff came over and very rudely said that "You weren't in the queue, I saw you cut across the crowd! You're going to have to get to the back of the queue". Knowing that were in the right, we stood our ground, and waited in the next batch. We were the first in that group of C's to be in the venue where it was a free for all in the bag searching and very abrupt and rude staff again.

But after all the trouble, we headed down onto the pitch, and oh wow what a sight. First off the size of the stadium, wow it was big and then the wall itself, I had tears in my eyes. I was there, about to watch the best rock show ever! It was very overwhelming! As were making our way down, we spotted space down the bottom at the barrier to the left, so we ran down the steps to the front and plonked ourselves right in front of the wall, and right infront of where Roger's hotel room would flip out. We were so close to the big guy himself that we made eye contact and he smiled at me and my mum. It was all too much haha. Here's how close we were:

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af3 ... 945a6a.jpg (It's in a link because it's over 800px)

Also, here's a couple of videos I took:
In the Flesh? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvMKQQU4 ... 54-_P7OY2Q
One of My Turns + Don't Leave Me Now - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5BIH9Kd ... 54-_P7OY2Q

I wouldn't like to go back to Wembley stadium though, unless it was for something REALLY big, like The Wall. But overall, a fantastic night, something I will not ever ever ever forget for the rest of my life. And I want to thank my mum for taking me to see it, being a 15 year old lad, I got to love Pink Floyd's music through my parents and I love them forever for it!

:)
Well, never say never! I thought it was the last time in 1980, then again in 1981, and then again in Berlin 1991, then again in 2011 but now in 2013 I'm sure its the last time for me! But I could imagine this show being recreated by somebody in 50 years time. Featuring "the original visual projections from the time"! Like classical music, I believe people will always listen to bands like Pink Floyd and Genesis.

Anyway, back to reality. What an awesome show and an awesome night it was. I feel really deflated now. Wish I was going to Paris but its all sold out!

My Wembley gripe was the selling of the drinks. People behind the bar area running about like headless chickens! Surely you can afford to have someone taking the money while a person behind makes the drink at each till. That cant be difficult given the price they expect us to pay.
But just being at the stadium was an experience in itself before Rog delivered the greatest show on earth.
Truly moving!!
Gibbin82
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gibbin82 »

Off to Paris tomorrow morning and really looking forward to seeing the last showing of the Wall. I will be standing this time and should be an amazing night, after to be honest being a little disapointed with the gig at Wembley. A combination of being too far away, too near the effects speakers (producing a nasty pre echo at times and the crap acoustics at Wembley made me feel as though for me it could have been better, or to be correct I could have been sitting in a better place to enjoy it fully.

Anyway last call on here, but is anyone else from this forum going?
Gibbin82
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gibbin82 »

Got back from going to see the Wall in Paris at the Stade de France late on Sunday night, a bit knackered from also trying to take in as many of the sights of Paris as possible. Must say I enjoyed it far more than the Wembley gig, after often hearing it said that there would be no bad seat too see it from and you can't be to far away as it is so big and also people saying you can be too close, well I found the opposite to be true. At Wembley I had a seat up in the gods (the 200's at the front of the second tier) and even though the wall is a big show, from there to me it looked insignificant and the sound was awful with the effects speakers giving a terrible pre echo, what it must have been like at the back of the top tier in the 500's I dread to think. This time I stood within spitting distance of the stage and it was the best of all the four times I have seen it. Yes you don't get to see everything that is right across the Wall but even from further back there is so much going on you can't possibly take it all in and during the first half most of the major animation is projected onto the huge circular screen. Something else that I found really improved it for me being so close, was that I could see all of Rogers gestures and expressions which for me really added to the performance. In addition I also saw things that would not have been possible to see further back such as a life sized shadow of a graffiti writer coming across the from the side of the stage during Another Brick in the Wall part 2 and writing "We Don't Need No Education" on the wall. Added to that the sound was amazing, I could hear things crystal clear that I can't even really make out when I play the record at home (and I have a stupidly expensive audio system). An amazing night I just wish I could experience it again next weekend.

Another bonus was that while waiting to collect my ticket I could hear the sound checks which included the sound effects from In the Flesh and the orchestral parts of Comfortably Numb. Having never really listened to the orchestra in isolation on Comfortably Numb I was blown away by how beautiful it is, I wish I could get an copy of it.

Regarding the debate on Roger miming, well from my viewpoint (which was close enough to actually see his lips moving) I didn't think he was, and if he was he is the best lip sync artist ever seen and also the track he was miming to must have had a few parts where his voice broke up a bit! As it is Floyd always have always relied heavily on tapes or prerecorded digital tracks and sound effects and I don't think there are any live acts now that play it straight without the benefit of audio enhancements (backing vocals, double tracking etc.). What may make people think that Roger is miming is that the video projections of him at the ends of the wall often are not in sync with him (even more pronounced the further back you are due to the audio delay), that is because they are pre recorded and not live video from the show, hence the appearance of miming as Rogers mouth doesn't always exactly match the words sung, I can confirm though this is not the case when you can actually see him singing the parts.

Something else I heard on the night (or at least I thought I did) was the pig seemed to be squealing when it met its fate by being consumed by the crowd. I was a bit far away from it but it definitely sounded like it to me, but can anyone who has been closer to it confirm this to me please. (or could it just have been the sound of escaping gas and sweaty fingers trying to tear the pig apart)

Finally Roger said something at the end of the night which gave me a bit of hope that I might get another chance to see the Wall. After the end of 'Outside the Wall' Roger thanked the crowd and said it was a great night to end the tour and it "may be the last ever appearance of the Wall", it could be me just being hopeful but he did seem to emphasise the word "may" and I think he has definitely not ruled it out.

P.S. Thanks to all the nice French people I met who helped make my weekend in Paris a great one
Cornelius
Axe
Axe

Post by Cornelius »

pinkyblue123 wrote:Agree about the Stewards/Security, what were they getting paid for ?? My personal view, was that they just wanted to get people in as quickly as possible, no matter which section they were "booked" in to. And as for one (I'm sure their were more) idiot having pulled his trousers AND underpants down dancing (if you can call it that), to comfortably numb, WHY wasn't he ejected, as a steward was about 3 feet away..?? I had a decent view apart from the tower above the mixing desk, and couldn't see the left side of the stage for that, but having seen it at Manchester MEN (2011) before, I preferred it their. I thought the atmosphere would have been a lot better, being a larger venue, and only after "In The Flesh", Comfortably Numb, & Run Like Hell, did the crowd really have a reaction. As for the prices of Wembley, that's a different matter, but if someone can justify £6.40 for a cheeseburger [NO Chips], I'd like to meet them !!! All in All (sorry) lol, it was excellent sound, but in future, I'll stick to the "smaller" venues.

Hi Pinkyblue123, How are you doing..?

Glad I found you on here....!....(hope you enjoyed "that" cheeseburger..ha...ha..!)