Roger Waters 12.12.12 Hurricane Sandy Benefit Concert NY

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Roger Waters 12.12.12 Hurricane Sandy Benefit Concert NY

Post by moodyblue »

I've never heard a guitar player YET that's been able to play the first solo break with any taste whatsoever.
Kilminster despite being a very good guitar player doesn't know how to 'rake' the strings to give it that 'sound' as it were. The solo itself sounds like it has gaps which to my mind makes it lose it's aura of beauty.
RonToon
Blade
Blade

Post by RonToon »

you mean the Ballad of Jean Charles de Menezes? i don't think it is a totally new song per se, more of a tag to ABitW part 2. i don't particularly like it either.
I thought the intro sounded a bit like the outro of Dogs.[/quote]More like Knockin on Heaven's Door.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

btw, i thought Vedder did a great job. although i'm a fan, that was unexpected.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Yeah, he did good. Maybe strained a bit, but then again that's his voice, often sounds trembling and strained. And that makes his singing voice almost unique.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

Anyone noticed the Telecaster with Strato vibrato?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

moodyblue wrote:I've never heard a guitar player YET that's been able to play the first solo break with any taste whatsoever.
Kilminster despite being a very good guitar player doesn't know how to 'rake' the strings to give it that 'sound' as it were. The solo itself sounds like it has gaps which to my mind makes it lose it's aura of beauty.
Got to agree with that. It never sounds quite right, closest i've heard is probably the bloke who did it for Aussie Floyd.

I liked Vedder's vocals though, different but always thought he had a cool voice.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Like a bad Floyd cover band. Waters' posing is getting to be a bit much, especially at his age.

Still wasn't as bad as the Rolling Stones. That was dreadful. To me the most amusing part of the concert was during The Who's performance of "Bell Boy" and they projected footage of Keith Moon singing his part in the song on a big screen...and the total lack of comprehension from the audience. They didn't even know who The Who were, let alone Moon.
GeezerButler
Axe
Axe

Post by GeezerButler »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Like a bad Floyd cover band. Waters' posing is getting to be a bit much, especially at his age.

Still wasn't as bad as the Rolling Stones. That was dreadful. To me the most amusing part of the concert was during The Who's performance of "Bell Boy" and they projected footage of Keith Moon singing his part in the song on a big screen...and the total lack of comprehension from the audience. They didn't even know who The Who were, let alone Moon.
I couldn't agree more.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

GeezerButler wrote:
The Gunner's Dream wrote:Waters' posing is getting to be a bit much, especially at his age.
I couldn't agree more.
Yes, as much as it's nice to cheer the crowd, that wasn't funny in the long view.