The Wall Live (2010-2013) Blu-ray/DVD

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: The Wall Live (2010-2013) Blu-ray/DVD

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Ten minutes on their site's countdown when I was typing this post this week's best selling albums get published here.
http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/.

So who knows? We could see some pre-orders for the album!
And wrong thread, but Dave's RTL is still in at 28 and 8 (has it really been 8 weeks?) weeks.
TDSOTM is not on the chart! <.8.>
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Nah, nothing but RTL 10 places higher.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

The DVD is really excellent.

I wonder if Roger's tears at the start are genuine? Also have to say I think he lip synced a lot more of the show than I initially thought. But the production is incredible, the picture and sound is utterly incredible, the sections between songs are very moving thought do seem a little unnatural and forced in parts (hence my asking about his tears).

It's great to have the O2 footage with Gilmour though too, though one big regret I have over that is that it's probably the worst Dave has ever played the song, I think rustiness and nerves got him a bit.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Ta daaa!! Number 1 in the DVD chart. http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/music-video-chart/
Sadly number 53 for the soundtrack in the album chart. http://www.officialcharts.com/charts/albums-chart/
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Currently it has the 3.81 rating on RateYourMusic, from 23 ratings. Pretty high.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

So is this not out yet in other countries? I'd expected more feedback by now!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

moom wrote:Currently it has the 3.81 rating on RateYourMusic, from 23 ratings. Pretty high.
Now, and specifically:
Blu-Ray/DVD: 4,24 from 13 ratings
CD: 3,81 from 31 ratings.

Not much ratings, but the rating scores are good.
No reviews so far.
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

Can someone clarify/confirm if it's possible to watch the concert without the interspersed footage of the documentary?

My dad saw it at the cinema and said it broke up the concert which I can well imagine. I really wouldn't want to watch the concert broken up like that…

Any experiences?
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

As far as I know it's impossible to skip those scenes. I found they didn't break the film for me. They were more or less over by the time you got their point. And we get a good section of gig around the documentary parts.
When I get a copy I'll make a note of the times and post them for the benefit of people who want to skip! :D
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

Thanks for the info/reply. That sounds like a real shame to me. If I want to watch a concert, I want to watch a concert, and the Wall needs to be seen/heard uninterrupted IMO. Hm, not sure about this now.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

siderealxxx wrote:Thanks for the info/reply. That sounds like a real shame to me. If I want to watch a concert, I want to watch a concert, and the Wall needs to be seen/heard uninterrupted IMO. Hm, not sure about this now.
But you won't be watching a concert, you'd be watching a film comprised of both the concert of The Wall with specially filmed sequences that show sides of Roger Waters that reaffirm your respect for him. He's shown in a way never before seen in a Movie. He's light years ahead of how he came across on "Live At Pompeii".
But "Live At Pompeii" is a concert movie. "The Wall" is a movie in it's own right.
You could stick with "Live In Berlin", but you'd be robbing yourself of the visuals (Unless you were lucky enough to have saw the show at the time) that really increases the whole spectacle.
I'm trying to think of a documentary sequence that lasted more than two minutes.
So it might help to see it as a film, and not just a concert film. Even though everyone not on this forum will call it a concert film.
It's a work of art.
How many "concert movies" get nominated for "Best Music Film" at the Grammy's?

Hope you reconsider your reluctance and come to terms easily with the documentary moments.
siderealxxx
Axe
Axe

Post by siderealxxx »

My issue though is that the documentary features are all well and good to watch once or twice, but not every time you want to watch a concert of one of your favourite albums. When I was a teenager I watched Pulse on VHS endlessly because I loved the songs. Music lives and breaths and can be listened to countless times... Documentary is only interesting so many times.

Above all though The Wall is a timeless concept album, perhaps the greatest ever, with a clear linear narrative we know and love so I don't understand why it needs supplementing with footage breaking it up which we can't choose to remove.

I saw the shows 3 times and it was excellent and I'd be very keen to see all the features, but not every time I want to watch The Wall. If I put The Wall on I want to hear The Wall. I'm a purist!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

siderealxxx wrote:My issue though is that the documentary features are all well and good to watch once or twice, but not every time you want to watch a concert of one of your favourite albums. When I was a teenager I watched Pulse on VHS endlessly because I loved the songs. Music lives and breaths and can be listened to countless times... Documentary is only interesting so many times.

Above all though The Wall is a timeless concept album, perhaps the greatest ever, with a clear linear narrative we know and love so I don't understand why it needs supplementing with footage breaking it up which we can't choose to remove.

I saw the shows 3 times and it was excellent and I'd be very keen to see all the features, but not every time I want to watch The Wall. If I put The Wall on I want to hear The Wall. I'm a purist!
Look around the net there are some very good unofficial versions of the shows - especially the Wembley 14 show
Felix Atagong
Axe
Axe

Post by Felix Atagong »

Anybody knows why I can't order the double Blu-ray any-more (at normal prices)? Were they so scarce? I didn't pre-order because I hoped my local CD-shop would've them, but they told me the double deluxe set has never been offered to them to distribute. (Edit: typo)
Last edited by Felix Atagong on Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.