Roger Waters Visits Father’s Grave in Italy

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger Waters Visits Father’s Grave in Italy

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Roger 'has approved' a monument in memory of his father.

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/ro ... ather.html
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

A Monument? :shock: That's new...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Seems a bit odd to have such a monument for one man given the numbers that died. :?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

In the old days wealthy people used to always put small beautiful monuments on their ancestors' graves. You should visit century-old cemeteries just for the views.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

Keith Jordan wrote:Seems a bit odd to have such a monument for one man given the numbers that died. :?
Come to think of it, slightly narcissistic, as in "MY fathers death is more important than yours and therefore should deserve more recognition than all the others"

As if two albums wasn't enough to rid him of his personal demons...

This is one of the main reasons why I struggle with The Final Cut, Roger either shoves his father's death in our faces (When The Tigers Broke Free) or goes on a 30-40 minute rant whining how society nowadays (or back then) is an oh so absolute betrayal to what his father fought for! :roll:

Roger's personal life should be kept to himself and a few songs, Not as a public monument!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

I don't think he only wrote those songs to just say "Hey, my father died! Console me!" but to try tell people to make love, not war.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

moom wrote:I don't think he only wrote those songs to just say "Hey, my father died! Console me!" but to try tell people to make love, not war.
Ah yes, that bloody old cliché, this has got to be what? Roger's zillionth song about that?

Besides he has a loving supportive wife, has brilliant kids and earns loadsa money, why does he expect us to shed loads of tears just because his dad got killed in the war
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

The Machman wrote:
moom wrote:I don't think he only wrote those songs to just say "Hey, my father died! Console me!" but to try tell people to make love, not war.
Ah yes, that bloody old cliché, this has got to be what? Roger's zillionth song about that?

Besides he has a loving supportive wife, has brilliant kids and earns loadsa money, why does he expect us to shed loads of tears just because his dad got killed in the war
hum, art is often about symbolism. you propose a personal story/vision so the listener/the public can recognize itself in it and eventually share some of your thoughts, pain, happiness, opinion, whatever. i think that the best artists are often people that can create this kind of communion easily.

besides, i'm not shedding any tears because Roger's dad got killed but it sure can spark the idea that war is often cruel and absurd and that the politicians don't give a fuck for the human race.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

That's a good point there, but still I believe Roger needs to give it a rest after all, he's got two albums for that!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

The Machman wrote:
1. Ah yes, that bloody old cliché.

2. Roger's zillionth song about that?

3. Besides he has a loving supportive wife, has brilliant kids and earns loadsa money, why does he expect us to shed loads of tears just because his dad got killed in the war
1. Cliched but still a valid point ;)

2. He hasn't written much about it lately (20 years or so). Could it be that... he... can't write about it anymore? I imagine your relief :lol:

3. That's great :D It's just that every day someone new discovers his songs and has no idea that they come in army numbers.

But yes, I do agree he has written a tad more than enough about it.
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

Aren't I just awesome! 8)
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

The unveiling ceremony took place yesterday -

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/ro ... iling.html
The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

Bigmanpigman wrote:The unveiling ceremony took place yesterday -

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest/ro ... iling.html
Great(!) now everybody in the whole world can know just how courageous Roger's father is... :roll: not to come off as callous or anything but what's the bloody point? what about the other millions of servicemen? should they get a monument too?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

The others are mentioned too, but still I do not feel comfortable that one man gets all this attention when so many others are deserving of the equal treatment.

Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

It is over the top most of the time with Rog and his father... but I think this monument was funded with his cash and influence, so he wrote on it what he wrote.
The main idea behind this was, i think, the he finally wanted a headstone for his dad, some place he believes his dad rests, somewhere he can light a candle.