My first time experience of The Wall Live.

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
spainboy
Embryo
Embryo

My first time experience of The Wall Live.

Post by spainboy »

Was so glad to get tickets for Manchester Arena Last night. Ive seen Roger Waters on two occasions in my life, the first in Hyde Park in 2006 and the second time in Barcelona about a year later. Last night was absolutely amazing. the visuals were phenominal and the sound was so crisp. I would imagine that this has been brought up before but Im sure a lot of that was not Roger's voice live. The other two concerts ive seen before Roger's vocals was rougher,older and had lost a lot of range but last night it was like listening to a 30 year old Roger,crisp,young,amazing vocal range and purely fantastic. In all fairness the guy is 70 and if he has lip synced a part of that show then its worked fantastic. On the other side of the coin I could be wrong and he has had some extensive vocal lessons but overall he was amazing,the show was amazing and Im so glad ive seen his very last UK Wall tour. <ii>
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Re: My first time experience of The Wall Live.

Post by moodyblue »

Lucky bloke going to the concert on Monday. I went to Wembley, would have gone to many around Europe but my damn financial situation deprived me of this one and many more GRRRRRR!

Yes I am sure in fact, certain certain parts were mimed. It makes total sense if you think about it. The megaphone lyrics I doubt could ever be replicated properly no matter what age Roger is and I wonder whether The Trial was mimed too?
I've not sat there analising every video of this show to know what songs are done with backing tapes but the author realises his limitations nowadays.

As for the show, it has to be one of the most spectacular rock concerts ever performed and on seeing some empty seats around Wembley at the weekend, I am totally convinced many people are totally ignorant about what they missed EVEN if they are/were not Pink Floyd fans.
spainboy
Embryo
Embryo

Post by spainboy »

I think we have to remember too if Roger totally sang live from start to finish I don't think it would have been any where near as good. Like they say he used to mime a few years back anyway but I think he needed a lot more help during this tour. He sounded very 'old' at the Hyde Park concert and that voice now wouldn't have suited The Wall.
Must agree with you,it was stunningly amazing on the eye.

Is Roger just not doing The Wall anymore or is he giving up touring altogether?
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

spainboy wrote:if Roger totally sang live from start to finish I don't think it would have been any where near as good.
True. Lip syncing is so much better than live performance. Why should Waters retire from touring just because he has no new material and can't sing?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

The thing is that The Wall is not a mere rock concert. It's more of a rock spectacle, a cross between a live music show, a bit of theater and film, FX extravaganza and sports event, so I'm OK with Roger doing some lipsynching in order to make it sound better. No big deal for me, nobody really goes to a Wall show to hear Roger's amazing singing voice anyway. Everybody knows he's not Celine Dion.