There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
ChronicJk
Embryo
Embryo

Re: There will be a new album

Post by ChronicJk »

I'm digging it so far, will be good to see some new songs played on this tour.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Fair comments. I haven't finished going through it. Finished beautiful girl. I just don't feel the substance. I think the point is that the substance is the lyrics but I'm just not paying attention (and have no interest in doing so). The wrapping is floyd from the 70s with a lift from radiohead's recent work. I see past the wrapping expecting more but like daniel said, it's not there so it's not for me. I'll finish it for completeness of course. Where are the professional reviews? Wikipedia page is silent.
Also, where's Flathead/Roger?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Here you can find some more reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/music/is-this ... ger-waters

By the way, where can you hear those "lifts" exactly? It would be fun to make a list.

I definitely can hear some similarities here and there (mainly Picture That sounding a lot like OOTD, SOYCD6 or Sheep and Smell The Roses like Any Colour You Like) but not direct lifts of exactly the same music. Except maybe the very last 2 seconds of Deja Vu, where they sing the same harmonies sung at the very end of Mother. But it's not like the whole song is based on that, right? It's just a minor detail at the very end. And it works quite well with this song to be honest, I like it.

You know, it's funny how for example in Zappa's fan circles this kind of musical, lyrical and sfx "lifts" would have been celebrated as instances of "conceptual continuity", but here some people look at it negatively as self-plagiarism. I actually quite enjoy finding those connections, they kind of give the album another metatextual element. Like when he's singing about "Wish You Were Here in Guantanamo bay". I guess it's like when a film director inserts some hidden references to his past work in a new movie, some people hate that while some other love it.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Mmm well Zappa mixed parts from one concert or take with completely different bits. Like a live guitar solo with a new studio recording, in different meters etc. But not like this. Certainly not for lack of creativity to sound different either (polar opposites there).
Mmm well I can't really list them. There's so many. From instrumental cues (guitars like in animals, synths like the wall etc) to straight similar melodies (basically the children of Melrose verse from amused to death ad infinitum), like the way he makes his phrasing is very very tired and all has been done (by him) before. All songs sound the same. Hard to say which one is which near the end (I finished it), and some of the chord sequences and cadences are identical to previous stuff. Honestly, it's like someone identified little sound bytes from pink Floyd say 77-82 and put them in a random generator. Then added the ever present languid drums (stole that from a review), the Goodrich strings, and the rantngs of an an angry old man who can really write only one kind of song, or scream. Sometimes it really sounds like a YouTubei inspired Floyd tune, with half assed similar soundscapes, and some terrible, amateur sounding singing on the top. I'm serious. Sorry to be harsh but a spade is a spade. Anyhow, glad people are enjoying it. I'm glad he's not playing it all live like Gilmour (lol I had typed Floyd) did with on an island so I don't have to ponder my investments in the middle of a concert.
I also think fans of his solo tripe will love this.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

raisemyrent wrote:Sorry to be harsh but a spade is a spade. Anyhow, glad people are enjoying it. I'm glad he's not playing it all live like Gilmour (lol I had typed Floyd) did with on an island so I don't have to ponder my investments in the middle of a concert.
I also think fans of his solo tripe will love this.

Well Wright+Gilmour is pretty much Floyd the only thing missing is Waters vocals (But they are pre-recorded anyway) but his bass playing and Nick's drumming is replaceable, nobody would notice they aren't there however Gilmour guitar sound/voice and Wright impro skills are not replaceable.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Things that can never be replaced in Pink Floyd:

Waters- lyrics, tunes, vocals, production, arrangements, fx

Gilmour- vocals, guitars, production, arrangements, composing, dirty hair

Wright-
Follix wrote:Wright impro skills
+ arrangements and vocals

Mason- drums '66-'77.

Barrett- songs, guitars, arrangements, apples and scarecrows

Storm- Covers

What am I forgetting?
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

:twisted: All the credit that Waters claims he is not getting.
pfandrogerfan
Embryo
Embryo

Post by pfandrogerfan »

It's so good to have another Roger Waters solo album!

IMO, the new record is not quite as good as Amused To Death (a flawless, no-filler masterpiece!) or my favourite Pink Floyd albums (WYWH, Animals, The Wall, TFC), but it's the closest thing in this day and age. On one track at least, the lyrics are underwhelming. On most others, they are razor-sharp. The music does strike me at times as deliberately referencing earlier records (sounds, motifs & words), rather than cynically or lazily capitalising on them. That is fine, as there are plenty of new moments. Whether fan-service was the intention of Waters or (Nigel) Godrich I don't know, but...

Us+Them is likely to be his last tour (?), so this... the last album? I think it is a worthy effort & the self-referencing (nostalgia for many listeners) is appreciated.

This was probably mentioned earlier, in relation to both Waters & Gilmour: if their new material doesn't sound like Pink Floyd, BAH! If it does sound like Pink Floyd, it's derivative, BAH! They can't win either way. :D Damn Waters for writing new songs he likes which are reminiscent of (or directly reference) old songs he wrote and liked.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

I kinda like it. It sounds familiar. Less anti-Trump than I feared. Waters' voice sounds better than on Amused to Death. Overall Amused to Death sounds much better.
I wouldn't mind hearing the title song and the next song live.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

Kerry King wrote:Things that can never be replaced in Pink Floyd:

Yeah well I was thinking about a live show experience not an album conception. I see Waters as very important behind the scene but not that much on the scene. But once the song is created I much prefer see Gilmour and Wright perform it, a great screenwriter isn't necessarily a great actor.

RW isn't the main focus of his own show (theatrical production is), but DG is.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

vizor wrote::twisted: All the credit that Waters claims he is not getting.

It's quite known that he claims too much credit and if you pragmatically compare his solo stuff to PF there is some big difference in the music. Even songs he wrote ''alone'' (thinking especially about Money, Cigar, Pigs and Hey You) he just can't do anything close in his solos albums.

I will agree that Post RW Floyd and DG solo lacks some claws but at least it's musically close to the real thing. I mean ITLWR really sounds like a bunch of Floyd re-hash, his vocals aren't very good and it lacks the spacey feel but yeah the lyrics are better than DG ones if that's the only thing that matters to you.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Amazing album!

My favorite yet since The Wall.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Uploaded onto YouTube but out of malice probably for his politics, as there's no tracklisting.
Listened to it and my biggest complaints are I can't hear it at a higher volume or on better speakers than my Tablet!
I love how at the end he sings as if you are lying right beside him in bed. Although that might now spoil it for some how.
If this album could be made at any time, why didn't he make TPACOHH or Radio KAOS this way?
That's on first listen. I look forward to getting it this week to explore further.
But yeah, it's his best album.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Easily his best. <ii>
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Does anyone know why there are no guitar solos? Any rationale? Other than the "he asked Gilmour and he laughed him off, as he should" theory?
A little bit of actual melody would certainly release the tension in many of the songs; break up the constant barrage of diatribe, not unlike the final cut, most of the wall (mother, one of my turns, etc) and many of his solo songs.