There will be a new album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: There will be a new album

Post by danielcaux »

Actually, there are a couple of guitar solos. It's just that they are not epic guitar solos. I guess the rationale was trying to avoid classic rock cliches and focusing more in arrangement and textures, mainly because Nigel wanted this to sound more modern. But that's just my own theory.

By the way, there's no "Gilmour laugh it of" theory, unless it's some kind of gilmourhead camp theory I guess. The story, according to some news articles, is that Roger sent Gilmour a demo and asked him if he could record a solo for Picture That, and first he said he was interested, but in the end for whatever reason he never managed to put down the work for it. My personal theory: it was a matter of ego.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Yeah that was my addition. any links to the actual rumour?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

I think I read it in french in a Le Figaro article/Nigel interview about the album. And at some spanish press article too. Don't have the link at hand right now.

Here are some with related info:

http://www.elmundo.es/cultura/musica/20 ... b466d.html

http://ew.com/music/2017/05/23/roger-wa ... interview/
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

There we go. Read the Spanish one; found it through a German article. I'm happy to translate but not a lot of content. Main thing is my old band mates never understood me, except maybe Mason. Very, very brief mention of Gilmour almost playing on picture that (though they get the song title song wrong, so grain of salt).
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

"his former teammate David Gilmour was about to contribute guitar in the song Picture Yourself. Although there is no chasm for nostalgia. "My bandmates never understood what I wanted to do, with the possible exception of Mason."

He can spend the rest of his life eating crow, die eating crow.....the same crow he's been chawin' on for the last 35 years. He screwed his bandmates, and can do nothing but continue incriminating himself between his sensationalized stories built upon gimmicks he pulled off.

So we got what we wanted. He can say it isn't what he wanted and will aspire to do a remix (so stated on the day of this release?...come on!!!!). He has to do "the tour", and maybe just maybe, a released dvd/CD in which we can carve out the best of Pink Floyd hits he performed (with or without recorded backing tracks to cover his handicap), and discard the rest. So much like the level-headed-but dull-ish Dave has been doing, because he knew that's the business and how it works.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

raisemyrent wrote:Does anyone know why there are no guitar solos? Any rationale?

Because it's 2017?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

raisemyrent wrote:There we go. Read the Spanish one; found it through a German article. I'm happy to translate but not a lot of content. Main thing is my old band mates never understood me, except maybe Mason. Very, very brief mention of Gilmour almost playing on picture that (though they get the song title song wrong, so grain of salt).
But neither of those is the article where they mention the sending of the demo to Gilmour. I wonder what was the source of that, since said article wasn't an interview but more like a review of the album. Can't remember which one though. If anyone finds it, please let us know.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

vizor wrote:My bandmates never understood what I wanted to do, with the possible exception of Mason.
It gave pretty good results if that's the case :lol:
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

danielcaux wrote:
raisemyrent wrote:There we go. Read the Spanish one; found it through a German article. I'm happy to translate but not a lot of content. Main thing is my old band mates never understood me, except maybe Mason. Very, very brief mention of Gilmour almost playing on picture that (though they get the song title song wrong, so grain of salt).
But neither of those is the article where they mention the sending of the demo to Gilmour. I wonder what was the source of that, since said article wasn't an interview but more like a review of the album. Can't remember which one though. If anyone finds it, please let us know.

The Spanish one you posted is the same I found and the last paragraph is specifically about how Gilmour was "about/close to" contributing to picture that. They don't specifically use the word demo though. The translation posted above is accurate.

Tried again; I'm only on my phone, but did find this fun bit:
http://www.billboard.com/articles/photo ... -wall-date
In all fairness, they both had lots of trouble vocally with that song. In fact, I don't remember Roger's performance, but Gilmour's was probably the toughest singing I've ever heard him do.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Is This the Album We Really Want?

First of all it was named after the wrong track - it should have been called "Déjà Vu" as it a typical RW album with Rog beating the same old drum - War, Politics, Fat Cat Capitalists - and using the same old tunes with the addition of some of the musical ideas dredged up from some of the later Floyd albums - Have a cigar and welcome to the machine comes to mind. Chuck in a few swear words to make it cool with the Parent Advisory sticker attached and there you have it. The first time I listened to it I thought I had been short changed as I thought it had 11 tracks but only heard 9 - then I released the last track was in fact 3 tracks that roll into one song - obviously he getting paid per track and not per album

So after 25 years Is this the Album really want?

So that's the album out of the way - roll on the tour with Rogers reverse Karaoke - instead of live singing to a pre recorded backing track you get Live music to a pre recorded vocal track
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Give it some more spins, the album is a grower. At first listen I was also a little underwelmed, but right now I think it's actually better than Amused To Death. It's just that its charms are not very noticeable at first listen, they are kinda hidden at first glance. But seriously, I really believe that this album is the most beautiful set of music Pink Floyd has released since Wish You Were Here. If Gilmour sang on The Most Beautiful Girl that song would be regarded as great as Good Bye Blue Sky.

Also, I would highly recommend you to do a minor alteration in the running track order: put Broken Bones after The Most Beautiful Girl

That way the album has a nicer flow and better balance, begining with a soft set of songs, then seguing into an amazingly dark and spacey middle section with Picture That going into the heavily atmospheric title track and then the apocalyptic Bird In A Gale. Then the calm after the storm comes with Beautiful Girl and Broken Bones, wiith the later one reaching Final Cut dramatic heights, before coming back for another dose of the heavy psych-rock with Smell The Roses, leading to the quite moving final mini-epic that closes the album, in a pretty unexpect unresolved harmonic note that leave you off base and with the strange feeling of having just being woke up from a beautiful dream.

If Picture That and Wait For Her had epic Gilmour solos at the end I have no doubt this album would have being universally regarded as a modern masterpiece, on par with their best 70s output. As it is, it's pretty solid nonetheless.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

I'm with drafsack. Well put. I got through it once, struggling, and that was enough. Same story with every one of his solo albums except radio kaos. You couldn't pay me to finish that album. Actually pros I got bored too. Ditto on the last 3 songs.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

danielcaux wrote:If Picture That and Wait For Her had epic Gilmour solos at the end I have no doubt this album would have being universally regarded as a modern masterpiece,
This album was NOT two Gilmour guitar solos away from being a masterpiece. Get a hold of yourself. It's too soon to call it a masterpiece. If all it took was Gilmour, well, that says something about Gilmour.

If Gilmour "never understood what Waters was trying to do" then why the hell is Waters still calling him up to play?
danielcaux wrote: on par with their best 70s output
You're so perverse! In what context is it as good as their 70s output? Do you mean if it had been released in the 70s it would be on par with the 70s output? Let's put this in context. Please. It's completely derived from their 70s output, with 40 years hindsight! That automatically prevents it from being on par with the 70s output. It's a manufactured piece of product designed to sound like the 70s. It's looking back at everything that worked 40 years ago and redoing it to satisfy small minds of today. There is no comparison on this album to the passion, freshness and believability of the real, actual living and breathing 1970s pink floyd. 70s Pink Floyd was not hiring producers to make them sound the way they once sounded on an earlier success. I'm losing faith in your judgement now Daniel. I don't think you're being reasonable. You're gushing. Let's be honest about where this product really stands.
Flathead wrote:
raisemyrent wrote:Does anyone know why there are no guitar solos? Any rationale?

Because it's 2017?
Excellent answer, Flathead. Although in this case a good guitar solo would have helped a couple of these tracks. Just as they helped all of Waters past material.

I've lost a sizeable chunk of respect for Roger Waters. It took about 7 years. 2010-2017. I'm losing respect for his apologists and glorifiers as well. Why does he say disparaging things about Gilmour in his interviews? He comes across as a pigman.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

It's that good yeah. And no, it doesn't sound like their 70s output. Quite the opposite, it sounds very 2010s and modern, more focused in textures than in structure developement and big solos. That's the main reason why traditional Floyd fans don't like it, and why some Gilmour solos would do the trick to catch their attention and make them realize how good the rest of it actually is. Not because the album really needs them, it works perfectly fine without them, but because the fans are the ones who need that stuff.

And lyrically, it's without a doubt Roger's most poetic work, even surpassing DSoTM and The Wall in terms of beauty and emotion.
vizor
Axe
Axe

Post by vizor »

"If Gilmour "never understood what Waters was trying to do" then why the hell is Waters still calling him up to play?"

Good question. The answer can be found here and elsewhere over the last 12 years with the fantastic photo/recording/media op that blessed his life: Live 8 2005.

Pink Floyd's Gilmour To Join Waters On Lone 'Wall' Date
7/15/2010 by Monica Herrera

"Gilmour then made him a better offer. If Waters would agree to perform "To Know Him Is To Love Him" at the Hoping Foundation Benefit, Gilmour would guest on "Comfortably Numb" at a to-be-determined show on Waters' upcoming tour featuring Pink Floyd's "The Wall" being performed in its entirety.

"You could have knocked me down with a feather," Waters says. "How f*cking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn't, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be sh*te, but if he didn't mind I didn't, I agreed and the rest is history. We did it, and it was f*cking great. End of story. Or possibly beginning."

The reason Waters angsts and yearns to be Pink Floyd in the most menial way possible is for the purpose of sucking the milkless teat.

Chaw away, Roger. I'm not hearing of any hits here with this wasted release. Would be glad to, though. I truely appreciate creativity in the form of recorded melodies,orchestration and in descending order: words.