Roger regrets suing Pink Floyd

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Roger regrets suing Pink Floyd

Post by moom »

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-wa ... ink-floyd/

“It was a commercial decision, and in fact, it’s one of the few times that the legal profession has taught me something."
Basically, it taught him that Pink Floyd as a brand was far from lifeless. He does not mention, however, that it was also him suing his old friends... but since they already have played together quite some times since, one might assume they have put that behind them. That is not the point here anyway.
Gibbin82
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Roger regrets suing Pink Floyd

Post by Gibbin82 »

It's going to be on the BBC news if you are quick enough to catch it.

Roger Waters: 'I was wrong to sue Pink Floyd'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24157591

HARDtalk will be broadcast on Thursday, 19 September on BBC Two at 10:35 am and internationally on BBC World News at 14:30 and 20:30 GMT.

BBC News { 80 freeview } 00.30 - 01.00 20 SEP
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

My God, what sad eyes he has in that thumbnail...

Some more quotes here
http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/72740
Gibbin82
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gibbin82 »

I managed to watch it on my motorised satellite dish (why on earth can't you get BBC World on any UK TV service Sky, Virgin or terrestrial?) and it was really interesting. Roger came across very well and became a little emotional at one point, although I think the interviewer could have let Roger talk a bit more at times when he obviously had something he wanted to say, it could have always been edited out later if they wanted to include something else instead.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

So obviously Roger did think about his actions... One thing about him has not changed - he's still insightful.
lettherebemorelight
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lettherebemorelight »

I dont get why this is such a suprise. Back in 2007, Roger was quoted as saying:
“The argument was me rather pompously, and I admit now, erroneously, suggesting that because I wasn’t in the band anymore, the band, and the brand name, should be retired. It’s not..you know…it wasn’t up to me.”
I’ve always thought he would have never reunited with the guys (and the guys with him) back in 2005 if he hadn’t been well aware that that had been a mistake.

The interview was really interesting, and Roger even gets quite emotional at one point.Its on youtube if anyone wants to check it out.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

As much as I've got a lot of magazines, there's always stuff that gets lost to be discovered later ;)
Gibbin82
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gibbin82 »

Anyone who missed the Roger Water interview on HardTalk there is another chance to catch it on BBC iPlayer here http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/bigscreen/ ... /b03b9578/

It is a UK only service but if you are overseas do a google search for Proxy Servers and you should be able to see it
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

The Machman
Blade
Blade

Post by The Machman »

At least Roger realised he was being a bit egomaniacal when he was putting his band mates through a horrible ordeal that was pointless to begin with, So what he left the bend in 1985 when things were getting really rough, Gilmour and co have proven to him many times that they can still survive without his help.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

The Machman wrote:Gilmour and co have proven to him many times that they can still survive without his help.
Commercially - yes; artistically - that's debatable.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

moom wrote:
The Machman wrote:Gilmour and co have proven to him many times that they can still survive without his help.
Commercially - yes; artistically - that's debatable.
I don't think it's really debatable, they were still very successful without him. I mean if it was debatable surely you could make the same argument for Roger's solo work without the influence of the others?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

I did say they were commercially successful, did I not?

As for Roger's work, it does not make the rest of the band's work worse or better or equal.
Luvelle Raevan
Axe
Axe

Post by Luvelle Raevan »

Roger Waters is a brilliant, perhaps genius lyricist imo and his contribution to the Pink Floyd concept and sound cannot be denied imo. Many truly great artists are temperamental and passionate. Perhaps he reacted with emotions rather than calculated logic when he began the lawsuit. Much time has passed, we can look at PF before and after Roger left...and compare. Originally, David's guitar inspiration was a perfect match...but with the lyrics by Polly Samson the sound is different. David Gilmour's sound is specific and his vocals flow with RW's lyrics. REally just my opinion but I've given the subject much thought and I try to understand the difference before and after Roger.

A great songwriter has a way with words...the sounds, the rhythm, the pace, as well as the message and maybe that's why many of them don't like interviews because interviews are just a lot of words bombarded at the artist. Some words grate on the nerves like nails on a blackboard. You look at great lyricists like Mick Jagger & Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, or the Beatles, or Kurt Cobain. They "get it"...same with Roger Waters - lyrics are a lot more than poems or conversations.

Lest my words grate, I'll say good nite!
duffOnTheRun
Axe
Axe

Post by duffOnTheRun »

Roger has managed to heal his old wounds. He reconciled with Nick Mason who was his best friend at the time. He made ​​peace with David and Rick.

His work in Pink Floyd, especially on The Wall was acknowledged over the years (good for him). I believe his regret meant that all these old battles were useless and painful for everyone and he realized David and Nick had the right to continue without him.

Anyway, Roger seems happy and I'm happy for him!