Roger upsets a whole nation

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Roger upsets a whole nation

Post by Bigmanpigman »

......again. He really doesn't sit on The Wall does he?

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-wa ... ael-nazis/
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Re: Roger upsets a whole nation

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think he should stick to the music.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

Agreed Keith. Roger , as we all know, is a very intelligent sort. There is nothing new in the political opinion he is putting forward. People like Vanessa Redgrave have been expressing it for a long time. But it is the language he has used. I can only assume he has used this as a 'shock' tactic to get his message across. Personally I think he has crossed a line.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Keith Jordan wrote:I think he should stick to the music.
with all due respect, i don't get this - pretty common - statement that "someone should stick to his dayjob and not voice opinions on anything political". so anybody who isn't a politician or hasn't a phD in geopolitics shouldn't talk about it? that would mean the most of us then. i'm not saying that i agree or disagree with Roger's bold statement but he's absolutely rightful to express it and face the backlash or the accolades that it might provoke. like anybody should, anywhere really.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

Hey donkeys! I've got some news for you: Roger is not a robot and always had political lectures to the people!
He has the right to say it loud: Israel genocidal state, only close to the Nazis.
Think about it. We are silent while hundreds of palestinians die day after day because of the Zionist state of Israhell.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

the amount of time he spends on his views on world politics if he spent that amount of time on working on and releasing material like the 80-81 dvd a new album the live dvd from his DSOTM tour they would be released by now if he concentrated on them rather then being political.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Yeah, because releasing a DVD or a new album is definitely more important than caring about global events and trying to make a change in the world around you.
In response, Rabbi Shmuley Boteach addressed Waters directly in the New York Observer, “Mr. Waters, the Nazis were a genocidal regime that murdered six million Jews. That you would have the audacity to compare Jews to monsters who murdered them shows you have no decency, you have no heart, you have no soul…You have disgraced yourself by comparing the martyred six million, which included one-and-a-half million children who were gassed to death in cold blood, to Palestinian terror organizations like Hamas, whose stated intention it is to wipe Israel off the map
Wow, and here I was thinking that Israel's intentions with all those bombings was to wipe Palestine off the map too! What I was thinking? Also, I really hate how this fanatics like to bend and twist the words of those who doesn't share their world views. Waters sure wasn't comparing the six million jewish victims of the genocide with Hamas, was he? No. He was comparing the state of Israel with the Nazis, and that's completely different. Also, the state of Israel and all its generals and soldiers ARE NOT the six million jewish victims of the Nazis, but they sure like to pretend they are so they can justify any attrocity they do now and in the future to the Palestine people. Crooked logic. Wasn't that also Hitler's logic? "The filthy jews want to wipe us, good arians, from our own country!" or something like that?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

mastaflatch wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:I think he should stick to the music.
with all due respect, i don't get this - pretty common - statement that "someone should stick to his dayjob and not voice opinions on anything political". so anybody who isn't a politician or hasn't a phD in geopolitics shouldn't talk about it? that would mean the most of us then. i'm not saying that i agree or disagree with Roger's bold statement but he's absolutely rightful to express it and face the backlash or the accolades that it might provoke. like anybody should, anywhere really.
In my opinion, he should stop meddling in other people's business!! :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

The Israeli-Arab conflict is so full of mistakes it's hard to determine who's (more) right and who's (more) wrong.
thefinalcut
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thefinalcut »

I hate pro Israel suckers as much as I do with Tea party, USA and the loons who back them up!
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

the paper holds their folded faces to the floor
and every day the paper boy brings more

Drinking Napalm
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Drinking Napalm »

Honestly, considering that its Roger Waters we're talking about here, we all expected it to happen adventually.
Bigmanpigman
Knife
Knife

Post by Bigmanpigman »

He's at it again. Written an open letter to Neil Young -

Roger Waters Urges Neil Young to Cancel Tel Aviv Show

Neil Young‘s decision to perform in the Israeli city of Tel Aviv isn’t sitting well with Roger Waters.

In fact, the upcoming show — currently scheduled to take place on July 17 — has Waters so upset that he’s decided to go public with a note he penned to Young months ago, urging him to reconsider his decision to lend his tacit support to the Israeli political regime. The note, which Waters posted to Facebook, reads as follows:

Dear Neil Young,

There are rumors flying about that you are considering doing shows in Tel Aviv this year.

The picket lines have been crossed in this last year by one or two lightweights from our community but no one of your stature. Woody Guthrie would turn in his grave. Neil Young! You are one of my biggest heroes, you are one of a very short list, you, John Lennon, Woody Guthrie, Huddy Ledbetter, Harry Belafonte, Sam Cooke, Billie Holiday and, like some others, but not many, your songs have always been redolent of love and humanity and compassion for your fellow man and woman. I find it hard to believe that you would turn your back on the indigenous people of Palestine. That you would lend support to, and encourage and legitimize, with your presence, a colonial apartheid regime, largely settled from Europe, that seeks to confine the native people of the land, either in exile or in second class status in reservations and ghettos.

Please, brother, tell me it ain’t so.

As I recall, back in the day, along with the rest of us (Stevie van Zandt, Bruce, Led Zep etc etc etc etc) you would not “Play In Sun City” I am asking you to stand on the same moral ground now. The late, great, Nelson Mandela lives on in us, we cannot let him down. He was explicit in his position and I quote, ” We know too well that our freedom is incomplete without the freedom of the Palestinians”. It is time for “Rock Against Racism” to show some of it’s muscle by refusing to lend our names to the whitewashing of the illegal colonization of Palestinian land and the systematic oppression of its indigenous people. Unfortunately the opposition lobby has a lot of muscle too. They spend millions on their “Hasbara”(If like me you have no Hebrew)”Explaining” or to you and me “Propaganda”. The propaganda machine is well oiled and ruthless. We, on the other hand, have only our commitment to non-violent resistance to lie down in front of the IDF caterpillar tractors that would raze the native people from the land of Palestine. We stand with those people, and with all the brave people of Israel and Palestine, Jewish and Arab alike who oppose The Israeli Governments brutal policies. We stand with Rachel Corrie, the young American woman who gave her life under the caterpillar’s tracks. Please join me and countless other artists all over the world in solidarity with the oppressed and the disenfranchised. It is time to heed the peoples call. People like The Bedouin, the nomadic people of the Negev in the arid south of Israel, please research their plight, one village, Al-Araqib has been destroyed 63 times by IDF Bulldozers. If you are in doubt about any of this, I will go with you to Palestine, and Israel, if they’ll let me in, you will see what I have seen, and then let us figure out the right thing to do.

By the way I watched your Bridge School concert on YouTube last year, it was very moving, you were, of course magnificent. You had asked me to perform, and as I explained to your management, I would have gladly done so had I not already been committed to The Wall Tour in Europe and Stand Up For Heroes in New York. This year I will be pleased and proud to come and support you if you call.

With respect, and love.

Roger Waters.

Waters’ outspoken support of the Palestinian people is well known; last year, he sparked controversy after floating an inflatable pig with a Star of David on it during a concert, and later made comments comparing the Israeli government to Nazis. Young, meanwhile, has fought his own battles on behalf of indigenous peoples’ rights, lambasting the Canadian government for its part in allowing oil companies to impinge on land treaties with the Athabasca Chipewyan First Nation.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

I agree with his comments, but sweet Jesus, Roger. Let it go.

Whenever I see a post on his page, I get excited just in case it's news about The Wall Live DVD or indeed the new album. But no, it's just another political rant.

Nobody really wants to hear it, we all just want a new album and The Wall Live DVD (1980/81 and the 2011/12 one).