Marianne Faithfull Teams Up With Roger Waters For New Album

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Marianne Faithfull Teams Up With Roger Waters For New Album

Post by mastaflatch »

UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Re: Marianne Faithfull Teams Up With Roger Waters For New Al

Post by UsNotThem »

It's nice to see him working with others, but for christs sake Roger, focus on your own album. We've been waiting 22 bloody years.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I know! Hurry up Roger!! I am looking forward to both David and Roger's new albums. And the Division Bell box set too. That could be fun.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE9I4lVpE64

It's a quite a nice song really. I haven't heard much of her stuff, but I quite like this one, maybe that's just because I'm biased because Roger wrote it.

:)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Much like 'Incarceration Of A Flower Child', this one also sounds like a late 1960s leftover which had been previously recycled on 'The Final Cut' and then revisited in original form after many years. I could be wrong about this song's origins, but there's a definite 60s vibe in it and the vocal line sounds too similar to 'Paranoid Eyes' for it to be a coincidence.

However, I quite liked it. That "Callooh Callay" is a real earworm. I think Roger and Marianne should collaborate more often.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

I think 'Sparrows Will Sing' is a great song.
The best I've heard from Waters in years.

I like it far more than 'Incarceration of a Flower Child' (1968/1999).
Hudini wrote:Much like 'Incarceration Of A Flower Child', this one also sounds like a late 1960s leftover which had been previously recycled on 'The Final Cut' and then revisited in original form after many years. I could be wrong about this song's origins, but there's a definite 60s vibe in it and the vocal line sounds too similar to 'Paranoid Eyes' for it to be a coincidence.
I don't hear 'Paranoid Eyes' in it.

'Incarceration of a Flower Child', however, reminds me a bit of 'Sea Shell and Stone' (1970), from 'The Body'.
Although I think 'Sea Shell and Stone' is musically superior.

Is there any information about any Roger Waters demos for these songs?
('Incarceration of a Flower Child' and 'Sparrows Will Sing')
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Wolfpack wrote:I think 'Sparrows Will Sing' is a great song.
The best I've heard from Waters in years.
Agreed. To be precise, the best I heard from him since 'To Kill A Child'/'Leaving Beirut', and it's been ten years already.
Wolfpack wrote:I don't hear 'Paranoid Eyes' in it.
Try singing 'Paranoid Eyes' to 'Sparrows Will Sing' or vice versa. Granted, 'Sparrows Will Sing' is a bit faster and in a different key, but the melody is very similar all the way trough. I'm not that insane.
Wolfpack wrote:Is there any information about any Roger Waters demos for these songs?
The only available info about 'Incarceration' is that Waters wrote it in 1968 and the rest of the band rejected it. I always wondered do Gilmour or Mason recall the song from back then, but on the other hand Gilmour seems to not remember whether he recorded guitar parts for STCFTHOTS or not so I doubt his memory would be of any help there. If it was indeed written in 1968, it must the most visionary lyric piece he has ever written.

As for 'Sparrows Will Sing', it appears to be a completely new song. Or sort of.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Great song! Anybody knows who wrote the music to this? On Brain Damage it states that Waters wrote the lyrics to the song. It does indeed sound like a Waters-penned tune all over though.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Marianne Faithfull Teams Up With Roger Waters For New Album

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I just came across "Sparrows Will Sing" for the first time, after bitching about "Incarceration of a Flower Child" on another thread. This one is much better! The echo-y backing vocals on the "Callooh! Callay!" refrain add a bit of a Barrett vibe, and I imagine Portishead's Adrian Utley was happy to play on a Roger Waters tune.