Newport Folk Festival

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
pffann
Axe
Axe

Newport Folk Festival

Post by pffann »

Anyone on here going to the Newport Folk Festival? Roger is the main act on Friday July 24th. I got my tix awhile ago. It's in Newport Rhode Island. Supposed to be a really beautiful place & kinda laid back. I guess you take a ferry to Newport as I'll be flying into Providence RI. Really hope to meet up with some fellow "Floydians"! Anyone?? [-o<
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Newport Folk Festival

Post by drafsack »

Will be interesting to see what the set list will be after touring the wall for a couple of years and if he will premier some new music
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

drafsack wrote:Will be interesting to see what the set list will be after touring the wall for a couple of years and if he will premier some new music
I'm thinking he will open with amused to death?? Does this mean you're going to the festival?! Again any other Floydians going to be there??
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

pffann wrote:
drafsack wrote:Will be interesting to see what the set list will be after touring the wall for a couple of years and if he will premier some new music
I'm thinking he will open with amused to death?? Does this mean you're going to the festival?! Again any other Floydians going to be there??
I would like to but is around 3200 miles from where I live - Amused to death is a good shout as its his latest project
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Is he going to perform with a full band, or is it just going to be him and an acoustic guitar?

The latter is what I had in mind when I first heard about this festival.
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

drafsack- Yes ATD Rerelease same day AS festival - July 24. Wow that's far! I'm traveling 600 miles (1200 RT). But I've never seen Roger live & thought what the hey?!
UsNotThem- not sure I can't find anything online if it's his full band or not but I'm wondering would he travel that far for just for an acoustic show? Are you going? Someone please say Yes! I'm going with my teenage son, well actually I'm Making him go with, & he's not much of a Floydian! I've never been to this festival before so it should be quite an experience.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

pffann wrote:Are you going?
Unfortunately not, I wish I was. But being 17, living in the middle of England puts this event way past even my faintest imagination.

I hope you have an excellent time though. :)
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

pffann wrote:drafsack- Yes ATD Rerelease same day AS festival - July 24. Wow that's far! I'm traveling 600 miles (1200 RT). But I've never seen Roger live & thought what the hey?!
UsNotThem- not sure I can't find anything online if it's his full band or not but I'm wondering would he travel that far for just for an acoustic show? Are you going? Someone please say Yes! I'm going with my teenage son, well actually I'm Making him go with, & he's not much of a Floydian! I've never been to this festival before so it should be quite an experience.
Give us a full review!!

Some rumour that My Morning Jacket could be the backing band? Just because they will be there too and performed with Roger at the Levon Helm thang...just a rumour from the interwebbies...

Have fun.
lmike
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lmike »

Hi all, first time poster,
It's true.
Word on the street around here(my sources haven't been wrong in 27 years of folk fests) is that My Morning Jacket will play right before Roger and be the backing band. I heard that they couldn't announce it earlier due to contractual issues. They are appearing fairly local in the fall and tickets just went on sale last Friday. It's happened many times before with folk festival artists. ( although usually they would just announce who's playing the week before )
Been hitting Newport since the late 80s. It's a great place to see a show and practically in my backyard. If anybody needs any local info, feel free to ask. -restaurants, public transit, lodging etc. feel free to ask.
kcmule
Embryo
Embryo

Post by kcmule »

In the past, this festival has been live streamed on the internet

If anyone gets any links, periscope streams, etc. I sure would appreciate it if you would post it here, thanks!

edit: not sure Rog's set will be here or not, but the festival is live streaming audio here:
http://tunein.com/radio/Newport-Folk-Radio-s249504/
kcmule
Embryo
Embryo

Post by kcmule »

UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Here's a video of 'Crystal Clear'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvZ209AoDGg

Two things I have to point out. Firstly, not only is Roger playing the piano, but he's doing it beautifully. Secondly, his voice! What's happened? He sound like crap a few years ago, now he's back on form!

Now I can only wonder if we'll ever get to hear a studio version of this beautiful song.
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

Seems like Roger put his poem to good use.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

liking it!
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

Here's "The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC3n8nx8Vxs

Roger screws up and starts to sing early on "Hey Bartender..."
But within no time, he makes a recovery.