Newport Folk Festival

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: Newport Folk Festival

Post by Hudini »

Same old, same old... :(
pffann
Axe
Axe

Post by pffann »

So here's my review. We had an Awesome time. Son & I. Little stinker tells me how he Never listens to Floyd & there he is singing along to Brain damage/eclipse! Anywoo yes Roger sounded really good. I know someone on here mentioned how his voice seems to have magically made a comeback! Don't know what he did but everyone standing around me agreed! I started freakin when he did Mother & was dancing around like a maniac. Didn't really expect Roger to do much PF since Amazed to Death was same day as festival. The rumor I had been fed was that former member(s) of PF were going to show up as a tremendous surprise. Not! I still didn't let that disappoint me. The Mary Jane smell was so thick where I was I stayed put hoping for a contact buzz! Lol. 8) The crowd was wonderful. No rude drunks & no pushing & shoving like I'm used to at GA shows. I'm a big youtuber but didn't even break out my camera/recorder. Just wanted to enjoy. And that I did! Truth be told the only Roger song I like is AtD. I was more than happy to hear it live and sang right along. I was very sad when it was over :( I was disappointed how short of a time he was on stage & that there was no encore. I expressed my disappointment to another festival goer at our hotel & he said that's the way the festival works. When I expressed my disappointment about the surprise guest not being Gilmour (Duh what was I thinking anyway) he said he was happy it Was My Morning Jacket & not DG. Guess he's not into David or Nick. So that was my time at Newport Folk Festival. Going back next year for sure! :D
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Waters is a God.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Flathead wrote:Waters is a God.
Ah, but which God? Judging from his statements, I'd say Allah.
Follix
Knife
Knife

Post by Follix »

''Crystal Clear'' sounds like a boring Wall filler.

The second song is more original (at least for Waters) but vocals are lacking greatly.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I thought he was excellent. Was great to see him do Forever Young too, though odd initially because I'm sure Dylan freely encourages folk to perform in Israel, unlike Roger!

He sounded great anyway.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

Just watched the clip. I was as pleasantly surprised as to his voice returning to previous form as others have been. It's true that it's a bit of a return to the style of The Final Cut, but I feel not the least disappointed by that. Good piano playing by Rog. Not complex, but well played. Clearly he's been putting in some practice on the piano, and I wonder if he's had some sort of therapy/training for his voice.

Both, if true, would be good indicators that he's planning to do something in the near future. Otherwise, we're likely to end up in a situation where Dave is the (relatively) prolific one, and Rog sits around for decades not releasing anything :)
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Post by UsNotThem »

Well it does looks as though he's getting ready to do something.

There's a new song (A great song at that)
His vocals have improved dramatically.
Surprisingly good piano skills.
Multiple mentions of a world tour commencing next year in some pieces of media.

Maybe, just maybe, a new album is getting nearer.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

UsNotThem wrote:Well it does looks as though he's getting ready to do something.

There's a new song (A great song at that)
His vocals have improved dramatically.
Surprisingly good piano skills.
Multiple mentions of a world tour commencing next year in some pieces of media.

Maybe, just maybe, a new album is getting nearer.
What will come first? A new Waters album, or his telegram from the Queen/King.