Mexico 2016

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Mexico 2016

Post by kjek1 »

That's a great set list but a lot of the songs aren't very Roger centric.

Breathe, time, money, us and them, fearless, great gig. I doubt he sang any of those and his band would have done all the heavy lifting
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Would be funny to hear Roger take on 'Great Gig'. :D

On the other hand, he used to sing 'Time' himself on his solo tours and we can't be that sure about 'Fearless' too.

Looking forward to video clips.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Geez what was the point of Fearless? It was basically a cover band version
remiserogilmour
Embryo
Embryo

Post by remiserogilmour »

kjek1 wrote:That's a great set list but a lot of the songs aren't very Roger centric.

Breathe, time, money, us and them, fearless, great gig. I doubt he sang any of those and his band would have done all the heavy lifting

He sang Time and Chorus of Us and Them, totally 18 songs and only 5 that he didn't sing. Very good for me
Phantom Turnip
Axe
Axe

Post by Phantom Turnip »

kjek1 wrote:Geez what was the point of Fearless? It was basically a cover band version
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:That's a great set list but a lot of the songs aren't very Roger centric.
He wrote those songs, so they are very Roger centric, lol.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
He wrote those songs, so they are very Roger centric, lol.
He wrote breathe and money, and sang none of them, go back and listen to the records sunshine
Last edited by kjek1 on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

He really went to town on Trump during Pigs
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote: He wrote breathe and money, and sang none of them, go back and listen to the records sunshine

Dude, he wrote ALL those songs. Do you know what that means?

He CREATED the songs. That's as "Roger centric" as it gets, lol.

Either way, I really enjoyed watching Roger play bass from Meddle songs (which I consider Floyd's best record). He really seemed to enjoy it!

And FWIW, I applaud him for such a fan-aware set-list, unlike those horrible Gilmour solo songs that fill up his recent tour. And bravo for playing "Great Gig" in tribute to Rick.

Did you guys see this? He created the power station in Mexico:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQXTZYbHXyA
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

It certainly didn't take much prodding to bring out your hatred of Gilmour did it? At least Dave's doing something new eh! Unlike the 'creative' genius.

Roger didn't sing those songs, sometimes it's not even his bass on those songs, he has no prominent role in them, it's warped to consider them his songs purely because he put words to them, breathe fair enough, even Money is only as well received as it is because of Dave's guitar solos, and Great Gig is Rick's song.

I hope the fans enjoyed their cover band doing Fearless :lol: At least during Roger shows you get to hear him do songs from Animals though, even if he's probably pre recorded the vocals and your paying to watch him lip sync.

Mug
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Bringing my two cents to this rare topic concerning Roger vs. David: Roger doesn't play or sing in Ça Ira, yet it seems legitimate to call it a Roger Waters piece. Of course, rock'n'roll doesn't respond to the same criterions... Anyway!

I don't like Roger's approach to his Floyd material since the mid noughties (having his band reproduce the studio version perfectly) but I like the fact that he's playing songs from Animals and had even bothered to play Fearless - it's such a cool song. And having recourse to pre-recorded vocals, no matter how I look at it, is the opposite of what a rock concert should be like.

On the other hand, you gotta give Gilmour props for releasing new music and even dabbling in jazz. When I'm at a concert, I'm ready to hear a few bum notes and a rougher voice, even reworkings of old songs to fit the age and limitations of the artist. I want to spend a moment in the here and now and Gilmour certainly understands that. Also, I prefer hearing deep cuts than an endless string of crowd-pleasing sing-alongs but that's just me.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

I've seen Roger live and it was a great experience, but he was performing the wall.

I don't have much desire to see his hired hands singing pink floyd songs while he stands and plays a bit of bass
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

kjek1 wrote:he has no prominent role in them
The guy who WROTE the song from scratch has no prominent role in the song?

What color is the sky on your planet?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Flathead wrote:
kjek1 wrote:he has no prominent role in them
The guy who WROTE the song from scratch has no prominent role in the song?

What color is the sky on your planet?
That only applies to two of the songs listed and even then one of them is famous for its guitar solos

Fans go to listen to the songs performed by those who recorded them, and he's not prominent in the recordings.

It's really not that difficult to understand, I suspect you understand fine anyway and are playing the idiot on purpose