Live Album - due 10 March 2017

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Live Album - due 10 March 2017

Post by twcc »

There's a new 'low price' album called "Live Radio" due soon
 The driving force behind some of the best-selling and critically-acclaimed records in history, by 1987 Rogers Waters had long since parted ways with his Pink Floyd cohorts. Having left the group on acrimonious terms - not helped by the controversies surrounding The Final Cut album and the ongoing court battles over the Pink Floyd name - Waters had by this juncture put out two solo albums, The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking (1984) andRadio K.A.O.S. (1987), in addition to having contributed to the score of animated film When The Wind Blows in 1986. In a similar vein as his previous jaunts, Roger Waters’ Radio K.A.O.S. Tour was an extravagant and ambitious affair. Backed by TheBleeding Heart Band – who he’d worked alongside since When the Wind Blows - the shows boasted live projections, quadraphonic sound, circular screens and even a telephone box that would allow audience members to direct questions to Waters himself. However, in contrast to his previous outings, Roger chose not to play his new album in its entirety, instead electing to intersperse his recent songs with Pink Floyd classics, albeit mostly ones on which he held the sole writing credit. These were stylistically upgraded: keyboardist Paul Carrick sang David Gilmour’s parts in a blue-eyed soul style, Andy Fairweather-Low added several funk bass parts, ‘Welcome to the Machine’ included a saxophone solo and more emphasis was given to female backing singers. The results of all this can now be heard majestically, and in exceptional audio quality, on this CD. Captured at the Colisée de Québec in Canada on 7th November 1987, and broadcast simultaneously over FM radio, Roger Waters here proves that despite his difficulties, his reputation as one of the finest performers in progressive rock remained unchallenged.

1. Radio Waves 5:42
2. Welcome To The Machine 7:18
3. Money 5:13
4. In The Flesh 3:38
5. Have A Cigar 3:19
6. Pigs (Three Different Ones) 3:54
7. Wish You Were Here 5:09
8. Mother 7:30
9. The Final Cut 3:34
10. If 3:58
11. Powers That Be 4:01
12. Brain Damage 3:39
13. Eclipse 6:49
14. Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 1/The Happiest Days Of Our Lives/Another Brick In The Wall Pt. 2 10:18
For the record, it looks like a re-issue of the 18 Nov 2015 'Doxy Collection' album
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Live Album - due 10 March 2017

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Really odd setlist of only two "New" in 1987 tracks. Probably buy as I didn't get the chance to hear the Doxy collection.
This, his new album, and the individual releases of 1965-1972 would make a great year for Roger royalties!
But will he be around in 2018 to get them cashed? <.8.>
The Stone
Embryo
Embryo

Post by The Stone »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:But will he be around in 2018 to get them cashed? <.8.>
Roger will live forever, I think. :smt004

This is good though. The demand for a KAOS tour album is fairly high from what I have gathered
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Eh. AWwul time period for Roger. Best to let that one alone, IMHO.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

So, what's the 'lower price'?
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

moom wrote:So, what's the 'lower price'?
Spin have it listed at £8.99 (inc UK shipping), Amazon UK have it at £9.32, the previous Doxy pricing IIRC was around £14.50 each

Interesting side note, the Texas 'Doxy Collection' of the Roger set recorded in Texas on 09 April 1985, plus a Quebec broadcast from 1987 are free to listen to if you are an Amazon Prime customer
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

it's not an official release
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

I think I'm going to buy this one, but only after a careful look at the total running time. The most common Roio (bootleg) of the Westwood concert, "Goodbye Mr. Pink Floyd", had some kind of (minor) speed problem... never liked it, every song being too fast.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

you will only be buying a bootleg its not a official release
Luca
Axe
Axe

Post by Luca »

I know it's only a bootleg (you already pointed it out, by the way), but it's a very good one: new arrangements, lot of sax etc... not a cover band affair like In the flesh. The first time I listened to it (more than 15 years ago) I was amazed. But then I got annoyed by the speed problem. There were other bootlegs with the correct timing, but never got a chance to buy/trade one.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

you should never have to buy bootlegs is my point if you look around the internet you can get that same bootleg for free
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Use audio software to correct speed problems.
I guess musicians will be able to tell the correct pitch.

A trick I know is using a synthesizer with a pitch option,
by changing the pitch until it matches with the wrong speed.
Let's say that note A becomes 435 instead of the correct 440,
then calculate how the speed should be changed to go from 435 to 440.
I don't remember the calculation, but this is how I did it long ago.
A tuner with a pitch option can be a great help to do it,
like the Korg Chromatic Tuner CA-30 (which shows the pitch value).

Any other tricks?
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

I like the arrangements of this tour. Most of them anyway. This is the best welcome to the machine ever.
But to pay for a bootleg that doesn't even get the songs right on the tracklist?

I'd like a live album with a whole concert from this tour.
Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

YetAnother wrote:I like the arrangements of this tour. Most of them anyway. This is the best welcome to the machine ever.
But to pay for a bootleg that doesn't even get the songs right on the tracklist?

I'd like a live album with a whole concert from this tour.
The version is Wish You Were Here is awesome too, lots of piano in it. And I like Pigs but it is too short.
YetAnother
Axe
Axe

Post by YetAnother »

Djgilmour wrote:The version is Wish You Were Here is awesome too, lots of piano in it. And I like Pigs but it is too short.
I also like how all the guitarsolos are new, and not note for note copies like the recent tours. Only the one on Brick II sounds like everyone is bored playing it.

The shorter version of Money is great, I never liked the long delicate sound of thunder and pulse versions. I don't mind missing the solo from Have a Cigar, but Pigs is too short for sure. I love the extra solo's on Breath and Eclipse.

I also think all the Kaos songs are better live than on the album.