"Is This The Life We Really Want" preorder starts April 21

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
AtomHeartBrother
Axe
Axe

"Is This The Life We Really Want" preorder starts April 21

Post by AtomHeartBrother »

Roger Waters' new album "Is This The Life We Really Want" has been pushed back to June 2. But, preorders start tomorrow, Friday April 21.

RollingStone.com has the best breakdown of the album I've seen so far, including a track listing:

Roger Waters Details First Album in 25 Years http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... rs-w477833

Is This The Life We Really Want? Track List

1. "When We Were Young"
2. "Déjà Vu"
3. "The Last Refugee"
4. "Picture That"
5. "Broken Bones"
6. "Is This the Life We Really Want?"
7. "Bird in a Gale"
8. "The Most Beautiful Girl"
9. "Smell the Roses"
10. "Wait for Her"
11. "Oceans Apart"
12. "Part of Me Died"

I can't wait for this one.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Re: "Is This The Life We Really Want" preorder starts April

Post by theaussiefloydian »

Same, because the matchup of Roger Waters and Nigel Godrich (producer of Radiohead's best work) is one I have to hear in its entirety.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

AtomHeartBrother wrote:2. "Déjà Vu"
:-; :lol:
AtomHeartBrother wrote:11. "Oceans Apart"
'Oceans Apart'? 'Poles Apart'?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_Apart
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

theaussiefloydian wrote:Same, because the matchup of Roger Waters and Nigel Godrich (producer of Radiohead's best work) is one I have to hear in its entirety.

Absolutely.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Flathead wrote: Absolutely.
And he did Waters' 'The Wall' live album, and I was pretty impressed with that too. 'Smell The Roses', whilst as I mentioned a little earlier was possibly a little bit obvious at times, is still very well done. I'm also glad that Godrich pulled Waters back from his great radio drama idea. Whilst that could have been interesting, I don't believe now is the time for Waters to release some great epic. Given that all of his albums up until now have been pretty heavy on their concepts, two of them having a thread of a story, it's time that Waters take a step back and try something a little more simple. Yes, there's still a concept, but this time it's not going to be the centrepiece. Just as it is with Radiohead's best work, the centrepiece will be the musicians, and I'm really excited for that.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

theaussiefloydian wrote: And he did Waters' 'The Wall' live album, and I was pretty impressed with that too.
From a production standpoint? There's not much for a good producer to do with a live album but leave it alone. The engineering is more important.
theaussiefloydian wrote:I'm also glad that Godrich pulled Waters back from his great radio drama idea.
I think it's a bad sign. The old 1970s Waters was far too confident and inspired to allow some co-producer to dictate the way an album would go.

This is Waters AMLOR. The industry wants him to sound like he sounded on the albums that continue to keep selling in big numbers. Hard to create anything real in such an environment. Particularly when you have been coasting for 25 years.
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Kerry King wrote:
theaussiefloydian wrote: And he did Waters' 'The Wall' live album, and I was pretty impressed with that too.
From a production standpoint? There's not much for a good producer to do with a live album but leave it alone. The engineering is more important.
theaussiefloydian wrote:I'm also glad that Godrich pulled Waters back from his great radio drama idea.
I think it's a bad sign. The old 1970s Waters was far too confident and inspired to allow some co-producer to dictate the way an album would go.

This is Waters AMLOR. The industry wants him to sound like he sounded on the albums that continue to keep selling in big numbers. Hard to create anything real in such an environment. Particularly when you have been coasting for 25 years.
Hence why he's ended up with some watered down PF forgery.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

theaussiefloydian wrote: I'm also glad that Godrich pulled Waters back from his great radio drama idea. Whilst that could have been interesting, I don't believe now is the time for Waters to release some great epic. Given that all of his albums up until now have been pretty heavy on their concepts, two of them having a thread of a story, it's time that Waters take a step back and try something a little more simple. Yes, there's still a concept, but this time it's not going to be the centrepiece. Just as it is with Radiohead's best work, the centrepiece will be the musicians, and I'm really excited for that.

yes!

It's quite clear that musicality is going to take the lead on this, not concept.

The production/engineering on this is the best I've heard since The Wall. Radiohead is easily the best rock band since Pink Floyd,and their work has aged incredibly well.
theaussiefloydian
Hammer
Hammer

Kerry King wrote: I think it's a bad sign. The old 1970s Waters was far too confident and inspired to allow some co-producer to dictate the way an album would go.
In terms of Waters' work right now, I feel like subtlety might be the order of the day. I know that's not usually his style, but I feel like this album would benefit from it. In this respect Godrich is going to help do some fantastic things, and there is no better example of this than his work with Radiohead. Their album Hail To The Thief is a very political record, filled with Yorke's anger towards Bush and his endless warmongering, amongst other such themes. However under Godrich's guidance the music itself remains more important, and he gets them to focus on their talent as musicians first. This is what makes it so good, and what makes albums like The Wall and The Final Cut less musically appealing to me. There is no doubt that they are well produced (in The Wall's case, exceptionally so), but those albums put the concept first and the music later, and they suffer for it. Had they put the music first, The Final Cut would have been so much better.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

Amen to that! Mind you that some people will never be happy with Waters, no matter what he does (if he'd self-produce, some people would have thrown the towel even earlier). I think that Godrich major involvment is excellent news and another reason to look forward to this album.
Flathead
Knife
Knife

Post by Flathead »

Godrich's involvement will probably make this the best Pink Floyd-related work since The Wall.

In listening to Water's live stream yesterday on Facebook, hearing him talk about how god Nigel is, and how Roger had to "shut his mouth" only bodes well.

Already, the SOUND of the album is impressive.
Jezebelly
Axe
Axe

Post by Jezebelly »

pre-ordered. i like the single, "smell the roses".

my concerts are denver - june 3 and june 4.

lol.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

Flathead wrote:Hearing (Roger Waters) talk about how god Nigel is, and how Roger had to "shut his mouth" only bodes well.
Yeah. It'll be as good as Animals or The Wall at least. When Roger "shuts his mouth" all the inspiration just flows.

Sameness is comforting I suppose. Inertia. Nostalgia. All the hallmarks of a worthwhile artistic endeavor. :lol:

As far as advertisements for the new album go, you guys are not particularly persuasive. Marketing is the most important thing these days. Much more important than the audio content. I still think it's going to be a mediocre album. you haven't convinced me. I won't buy it. If you have to hark back to some old Radiohead album, or even all the way back 45 years to Have A Fucking Cigar, I doubt we're in for much excitement. We already know a few of you love it already. The music, lyrics, arrangements or production hardly matters. There's no way you won't love it. I'll probably like it about as much as I like On An Island. I still haven't made it all the way through that one.
mastaflatch
Knife
Knife

Post by mastaflatch »

You keep on churning that ridiculous wanna-be stereotype that all the people who are enthusiastic about the new Waters album are hopelessly gullible fanboys. On and on. Why do you do that?
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Edited to remove personal abuse

If Waters did something great I'd give him his due, no one is obligated to cream themselves over his solo releases purely because of association with Pink Floyd.

It's a decent first track, but pretty uninspiring given the forgery, and turd polishing by banging on about some button pushing producer won't change that. As someone else said, you could mic up Rogers bog when he's having a shite and you'd get glorious praise of the sound etc etc. I'm more interested in the music and less interested in the glossy finish of the production and the usual political rhetoric