The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking Removed from Spotify in the UK?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking Removed from Spotify in the UK?

Post by Master_Chief »

Simply sat playing several of my playlists while working from home this morning and discovered that The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking (apart from Every Strangers Eyes) has been shaded out on Spotify!

Is there any reason for this? I mean it's not his most famous piece of work by a long stretch, but I certainly don't want to start seeing Pink Floyd-related content removed or restricted on these services...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking Removed from Spotify in the UK?

Post by Keith Jordan »

Must be a licencing issue. <.8.>
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

I apologize for the me you're about to hear from....

You know what's great about my vinyl pressing and the CD in the car?

They never get pulled off of spotify.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

You can upload your own files to your Spotify account, which I had to do with Rick Wright's solo albums - and they're always in the rotation, while Pros and Cons only gets played once every few years.

The focus on Pink Floyd vinyl is kinda funny, because both Waters and Gilmour were happy that CDs provided a longer format without interruptions, and both prefer high-resolution formats like SACD to vinyl. Roger was even annoyed that Nigel Godrich wanted to make an album that would fit on vinyl. "He was insistent on making a gramophone record for some reason."

My last three cars have all been mid-range Mazdas and only one of them had a CD player, and it has never been used. But they all had Bose speakers.
Master_Chief
Blade
Blade

Post by Master_Chief »

battra wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 am I apologize for the me you're about to hear from....

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this form: Spotify is for work and my phone, and vinyl is for when I want to specifically listen to an album. I have The Pros and Cons on vinyl, as I do with all Floyd stuff. But having their stuff removed from Spotify or any other streaming format is surely not a good thing. If it's down to licensing then once again the punters who just want to listen to music will suffer and force them to bootleg... :-;
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

Master_Chief wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:22 pm
battra wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 am I apologize for the me you're about to hear from....

As I've mentioned elsewhere on this form: Spotify is for work and my phone, and vinyl is for when I want to specifically listen to an album. I have The Pros and Cons on vinyl, as I do with all Floyd stuff. But having their stuff removed from Spotify or any other streaming format is surely not a good thing. If it's down to licensing then once again the punters who just want to listen to music will suffer and force them to bootleg... :-;
Well, that makes perfect sense then. I feel like you're in a very small minority of people who stream and purchase. (Maybe I'm wrong especially when considering that I'm using anecdotal evidence only.)

Carry on.
Annoying Twit
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Annoying Twit »

battra wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:19 pm Well, that makes perfect sense then. I feel like you're in a very small minority of people who stream and purchase. (Maybe I'm wrong especially when considering that I'm using anecdotal evidence only.)
I both stream and purchase. I primarily listen to streaming today as it's most convenient. But, I also buy the albums because I believe that if we don't support artists by buying their music, we'll end up without artists. I've been reading about musicians trying to make a living where it's hard to do so - e.g. rappers in Tajikistan, and they have to work day jobs to survive.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I've probably ranted about this before, but I don't think any artist should expect to make a living from their creative output. The lucrative industry that once existed is gone. Recorded media barely generates enough wealth for one person, let alone a whole team of producers, publishers, lawyers, salesmen, and managers - nevermind the songwriter(s) or the musician(s).

I think this is a good thing, because it could mean a return to good, original music in smaller, more intimate shows. You know...like Pink Floyd, pre-1973.

Dark Side of the Moon was their 8th studio album. 7 studio albums (and only Atom Heart Mother reached #1 anywhere), nearly 300 shows under their belt, and they were still by no means rich. If they had a lot of money, that just means they'd made a lot of other people even more money. The first thing they did when Dark Side took off (which was not immediate) was jump ship to a different label so they could negotiate a more favorable contract, so they wouldn't have to work as much but would make more money. They then spent the next five years fighting the urge to retire in their early 30s.
battra
Knife
Knife

Post by battra »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 am I've probably ranted about this before, but I don't think any artist should expect to make a living from their creative output. The lucrative industry that once existed is gone. Recorded media barely generates enough wealth for one person, let alone a whole team of producers, publishers, lawyers, salesmen, and managers - nevermind the songwriter(s) or the musician(s).

I think this is a good thing, because it could mean a return to good, original music in smaller, more intimate shows. You know...like Pink Floyd, pre-1973.

Dark Side of the Moon was their 8th studio album. 7 studio albums (and only Atom Heart Mother reached #1 anywhere), nearly 300 shows under their belt, and they were still by no means rich. If they had a lot of money, that just means they'd made a lot of other people even more money. The first thing they did when Dark Side took off (which was not immediate) was jump ship to a different label so they could negotiate a more favorable contract, so they wouldn't have to work as much but would make more money. They then spent the next five years fighting the urge to retire in their early 30s.
I've said many times...

It's the best time to be a fan and the worst time to be an artist.

Because yes, I get to see artists whom I love dearly in very small venues...and not have to drop $15 for a fucking beer.
K2+
Axe
Axe

Post by K2+ »

ZiggyZipgun wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:03 am I've probably ranted about this before, but I don't think any artist should expect to make a living from their creative output.
If an artist can't make a living from their art, can we expect their best work?

Would it have been possible to make DSOTM, Electric Ladyland, Giant Steps, Close To The Edge, 1999, Candy-O, etc if those guys had been working 40-60 hours in a cubicle somewhere while trying to create their art?

I'm not arguing with you, as I know this is the current reality for musicians who don't already have a huge fan base and huge bank account, I just wonder how it effects the quality of what is actually created.

I'v never had a Spotify account, and never will. I do use YouTube to check things out since I don't have the disposable income with no responsibilities like when I was a teenager, and could just buy an album because i liked the cover art. But I try and support any artist whose music I am going to be listening to on a regular basis.

The fractions of a penny payment system used by Spotify (and similar services) is insulting at best, and downright theft at worst.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

K2+ wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:21 am If an artist can't make a living from their art, can we expect their best work?
Well there isn't much of a demand for it until they produce something that other people want to hear. The big problem is that people think they can easily become rich by making music, and a lot of shitty music has been made in the process. Can a singer-songwriter support themself by playing every public gig they can find? Sure. Can they support a family? Probably not. Can they support themself without performing in public? No, they can't. And unless something of theirs really becomes popular, we're only talking about a minimum wage existence once all related expenses are paid. The world is full of artists. There was a time where record labels would routinely gamble on artists, and try to apply their best-known formula to make something become popular. This is the whole reason "pop music" is almost a derogatory term. No one is making that gamble anymore. That's why most hit songs are written by the same two people:

https://nypost.com/2015/10/04/your-favo ... these-two/

For actual artists simply trying to get their music out there and make their hobby pay for itself, Patreon is probably the best option at the moment.
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

Pros & Cons and KAOS were also absent from Spotify and YouTube Music (formerly known as Google Music) in the US for a while, but they're back. I got my annual listen of Pros & Cons out of the way now, but it just made me want to watch Lethal Weapon instead.

I personally enjoy quite a lot of music that is widely regarded as difficult, dissonant, or inaccessible, but more and more, I find much of Roger's solo output simply unpleasant on any level.
space triangle
Hammer
Hammer

Post by space triangle »

Why we need the two 'The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking' thread to discuss in the same time? Here and in the 'Roger Waters album' section. :-;
ZiggyZipgun
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ZiggyZipgun »

I can't wait to start one in the new Rick Wright section!

This thread is actually about Spotify.
Thegrandvizier
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Thegrandvizier »

Should be back now! \:D/