Media Reports on RKBs Death

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Media Reports on RKBs Death

Post by Keith Jordan »

I thought it would be good to have a thread for people to post links to news stories on the internet - and perhaps share scans of newspaper articles etc. - so we can see how the news is being received internationally.

Please do post your news story links in this thread.

Here is one from the Times. Nicely written I think.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 09,00.html

Kind words from Bowie on NME

http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/23574
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
henno

Post by henno »

gnomad
Blade
Blade

Post by gnomad »

Frinkium
Blade
Blade

Post by Frinkium »

National Public Radio in the US broadcast this story...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5549695

You can listen to it online, but I've recorded it in WAV direct from radio (it's broadcast on ABC News Radio here in Australia) if there's any interest in sharing a lossless version. It runs for about 3mins 49sec (38MB). It's nothing special, but nice that it at least made the news.

[edit]
The BBC World Service just had a good story on too, with an interview with Joe Boyd. I recorded that one too, although it'll probably be available on the BBC website as a download soon.

:wink:
Stween
Axe
Axe

Post by Stween »

The Guardian has quite a bit on it today, if anyone can get their hands on that.

Some (much shorter) weblinks:

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/podcasts/20 ... y_j_5.html
http://arts.guardian.co.uk/news/obituar ... 98,00.html
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Keith, I bought The Telegraph, The Guardian and The Independant today, do you want me to scan them in? The Guardian has quite a bit. I didnt have time to check any other papers but my newsagent said he'd have a look through and put any others to one side for me to pick up tomorrow.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Keith, I bought The Telegraph, The Guardian and The Independant today, do you want me to scan them in? The Guardian has quite a bit. I didnt have time to check any other papers but my newsagent said he'd have a look through and put any others to one side for me to pick up tomorrow.
That would be great thanks. I scanned the Times in.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Julian Cope's post on the subject..

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headguide/?id=105
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I've saw nothing on the TV so far.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

thrill-seeker wrote:I've saw nothing on the TV so far.
i saw a CH4 report last night that was it
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

azza200 wrote:
thrill-seeker wrote:I've saw nothing on the TV so far.
i saw a CH4 report last night that was it
I saw on NTV World (a Russian International channel, spawned from Russian NTV channel, whicg gas a big network all over the world)
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

the National Post, a rightwing Canadian paper I usually avoid, ran an interesting eulogy for Syd on their editorial page.
since I cant link to it on their website I'll invest 10 minutes of time to transcribe it...
TheNationalPost wrote:Shine On
Syd Barrett named Pink floyd's first album, 1967's The Piper at The Gates of Dawn, after a chapter in Kenneth Grahame's children's classic The Wind In The Willows. In Grahame's book, two animals, Mole and Rat, are led by a haunting sound to encounter a vision suffused with almost indescribable beauty and holiness. A piper Mr. Barrett most certainly was, and with his band - the greatest to emerge from London during the psychedelic Sixties - he too created a sound, to quote Grahame, "so beautiful and strange and new".
The Piper at The Gates of Dawn, almost entirely written by Mr. Barrett, with his lead guitar and vocals, is a wonderous masterpiece, an album that itself has become a subject of books. But just like the vision in Grahame's children's story, Mr Barrett's own dreamsong ended abruptly, leaving an unfulfilled longing. At the peak of his fame, with Pink Floyd in its ascendancy and Mr Barrett as its guiding genius, he walked away from it all. After two remarkable solo albums, he vanished entirely - becoming a recluse who lived in the basement of his mother's home in Cambridge, England.
Mr Barret became one of rock music's most famous casualties. Pink Floyd paid tribute to their lost leader with the song Shine On You Crazy Diamond and many other musicians, including David Bowie, cited him as a major influence. But there was to be no reunion, no comeback. He had vanished. It was widely speculated that Mr Barrett had suffered from mental illness, his problems compounded by LSD use during the late Sixties. Mr Barrett never emerged from his refuge to explain his absence, and with his death last Friday at age 60, we may never know the truth. All we have left is the music. As Rat said, it is perhaps enough "just to hear that sound once more and go on listening to it forever".
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Thank you so much for posting this, J Ed. Perhaps one of the most eloquently written posthumous tributes to Mr. Barrett. Short but sweet, and quite appropriate. Thanks again.