Photos of the inside of Syd Barrett's House

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Keith Jordan wrote:If he had done one interview on video and they had a wander around his house, I dont think he would have had this mythological status that he has had for many years.
I agree. Yes, very odd indeed. Rosemary was overprotecting an adult man for reasons unknown and now she?s making a big money of it all. Well, at least it looks like it :roll:
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

thanks for printing the pics Keith!!
lovely bright and cheerful interior,eh?!?>surprising for a man every one thought of as being a tortured artist.... seems like a place you could be quite contented in.. and as far as the family redecorating-they have hardky had that much time to completely remodel before selling.. and why did they keep the beds there?!? you know -i cannot escape the feeling that at some point-Syd sat down with his sis and said "Roe- here's what ya do- when i die-you guys will make a BUNDLE!!! but we gotta keep them guessing ..for now" i am coming more to grips with the fact of his untimely death(of course -way too soon) but that i feel he must have been happy in his own way- his house looks very pleasant to me- and that back yard is positively beautiful-- like a safe haven of rest- and i have said it before.. we don't know what "ol Syd might have been up to-- there may have been "visitors' of all sorts thru the years.... but one question- whay are the pics so samll of the interior-I'd like to get a better glimpse of the kitchen area particularly....are the interior pics not on the cheffins site?
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The way it's painted and decorated is far from the normal style one would turn a building into before selling it. The "hand-made" style of it all makes me think that it's Syd's doing.
He had a knack for decorating; he could've been "Martha Stewart for Hippies and Lunatics". I like it.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Tenniru wrote: He had a knack for decorating; he could've been "Martha Stewart for Hippies and Lunatics". I like it.
Classic! I *LOVE* it! That statement caused me to nearly lose the coffee I'd just drank I laughed so hard.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Are there any bigger pictures anywhere? I can't seem to enlarge the interior shots.

Also I'm kind of surprised there wasn't a better barrier to the front door somehow...you'd think people would just be going up to his door and knocking or ringing the doorbell all day....
metranil
Embryo
Embryo

Re:

Post by metranil »

SydsMadcapGirl wrote: (Quoting Keith) "All this material that has become available recently just shows what his sister Rosemary said in The Times newspaper: that Roger Barrett was just a normal sort of guy living a quiet life in Cambridge, unsure why people still wanted to speak to him all these years later."

Agreed! I'd always suspected he was far more together than the public thought he was...perhaps he just wanted us to believe he was some loon puttering about in the clouds! It was always the unpopular opinion, but I'm believing more and more that I was right all along.

People with schizophrenia don't typically have a spontaneous recovery.

The proceeds from the recent tribute at Barbican Hall went to SANE -- an organization that helps the mentally ill. Syd's symptoms, whether LSD invoked or not, were classic ones for the debilitating thought disorder we call schizophrenia. This disease involves blunted affect, confused thoughts, social isolation, and the inability to forge "normal" adult relationships. It can be treated with medicine, but at least according to some reports before his death, Syd was not taking any meds for this illness.

People with schizophrenia typically have problems with diseases like diabetes, for their self-care and diet are not up to snuff.

Let's see, Roger Waters was quoted multiple times in the documentaries over the last decade saying that Syd had schizophrenia. He lived alone, a broken down old man who looked 20 years older than his given age. And he had a drug induced breakdown in his early twenties. Most schizophrenic patients are male, and most start having symptoms in their twenties.

Wow, so he was just taking the piss all these years? Excellent eye for detail on his part to add so many little things that point toward schizophrenia when in fact he didn't really have it...
SydsMadcapGirl wrote: It's kind of like he didn't want the joke to be revealed until after his death. Seems like typical RKB behavior, then, being the clever jokester that he was!

...and what exactly is a dream, and what exactly is a joke...
Tom
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Photos of the inside of Syd Barrett's House

Post by Tom »

Very interesting indeed. I'm considering travelling to Cambridge to take a look at the house and maybe ask some local people if they ever met Syd.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

I went to Syd's house whilst in Cambridge attending the auction last November. I wonder if the buyers have altered much of the house as it has been several months. If you do go, you should take a photograph and share it!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

I wonder who painted the front door
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

Syd'sSexy wrote:I went to Syd's house whilst in Cambridge attending the auction last November. I wonder if the buyers have altered much of the house as it has been several months. If you do go, you should take a photograph and share it!
really ! did you buy anything at the auction?
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

not the type of house i would want to live in but it looks kinda cute
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

oz1701 wrote:
Syd'sSexy wrote:I went to Syd's house whilst in Cambridge attending the auction last November. I wonder if the buyers have altered much of the house as it has been several months. If you do go, you should take a photograph and share it!
really ! did you buy anything at the auction?
Yes, I did. Here's the thread:

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... 79&start=0
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by oz1701 »

thank heavens for broadband. 8)

just had a look SS - his handwriting is as bad as mine - reminds me of my lecture notes - bit surprised there are no doodles though.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Holy crap. It looks like a house.
Insert_name_here
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Insert_name_here »

Couldn't help but notice in the NPF gallery of Syd's auction items, there was a nylon-string guitar. Did Syd still play or was it just a decoration piece? I seem to recall an interview with his nephew, in which his nephew stated that Syd didn't own or play guitar anymore.