Syd Barrett ?1.2million Will

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

It could be true that the band did exaggerate, maybe even a little...

It could also be true that he was just sick enough to night sign his will...

It could also be true that his family just wants some money
bell that rings
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bell that rings »

From what I've gleaned based on his own writings and what those close to him have said, I imagine Syd/Roger didn't want anything to do with it; the whole concept likely brought him down; and Alan was probably doing him a great favor by taking it completely out of his concern.
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

He didn't want anything to do with his will?
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

yes...its somewhat strange :?
Not_Now_Paul
Axe
Axe

Post by Not_Now_Paul »

Serious question...

Were there any reports of him being completely suicidal...?

I mean...he seem to not want anything to do with anything...
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps he just wanted to be left alone as his involvement in music when he was a kid was something he tried and them moved on..... but millions around the world didnt move on with him!!

If someone has been certified, then I guess the Sun could speculate he was not legally able to make a will hence their tacky little story about him?
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

It could've been that he'd just put off doing the will until it was a bit too late, and he was suffering from diabetes, missing a few fingers, and had nasty chemicals in his bloodstream aimed at the pancreas. It's possible he was in so much pain, possibly depressed, unarticulate, or hopped up on painkillers to be able to read and sign it without extreme discomfort and his loved ones decided to do the easy thing (for him) and do that; after all, not too many people outside of extreme Syd circles and his family would question the idea that he'd lost it.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

These stories just contradict earlier stories from other sources. I heard many years ago that Syd had sold all of his ownership/writing credits to whoever or whatever record company and that he no longer had any income from music at all.
What can you believe nowadays ! :evil:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I think both Roger and David have mentioned keeping Syd in money recently and, as they run the Pink Floyd management thing and the other various companies where most of the monies would come from, I would believe Roger and David.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

moodyblue wrote:These stories just contradict earlier stories from other sources. I heard many years ago that Syd had sold all of his ownership/writing credits to whoever or whatever record company and that he no longer had any income from music at all.
What can you believe nowadays ! :evil:
That's certainly not true. Syd's brother in law has said on several occasions that Syd's income was substantial.
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Keith Jordan wrote:I think both Roger and David have mentioned keeping Syd in money recently and, as they run the Pink Floyd management thing and the other various companies where most of the monies would come from, I would believe Roger and David.
I wouldn't doubt this story at all.
Syd has over the years provided so much inspiration to the band in spirit that with respect, they did 'owe' him on that score and i have only ever heard fond stories relating back to their time with Syd in the band.
Maybe it's guilt or principle that they felt they had to 'keep Syd in money' for the way in which he departed from the band in the first place. Who knows really !
bkovacs
Axe
Axe

Post by bkovacs »

ironbaden wrote:From what i've read an dplease correct me if I'm wrong...... the government gets a lot of money in taxes once people get into a higher earning bracket.... Thats the reason bands like the stones , Zeppelin ( in there heyday ) chose to spend so much time abroad ....if they lived in England for a certain amount of time they would be liable for hefty taxes..... I remember a story about Robert Plant being flown out of the country 6 hours before being liable for this hefty amount. since Syd chose to stay in Cambridge ..... a lot of the money he made from Echoes and such would have went to the government..... am I on base with this?...so infact ...having over a million pounds once the dust settles is actually pretty good..... or am i way off here.... any Accountants in our community help me with this? :D
I've been to England and loved the country, especially, Southwald. England reminded me of my home town in PA USA, minus the cathedrals and castles. Jealous!. But the taxes would kill me if I wanted to live in England. What a shame!.