Syd's next-door neighbour

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Well, I guess my initial opinion about the authenticity of the article has changed now that I have seen scans of the article itself.

General Newspaper Clippings

A very sad tale indeed then....

EDITED BY ADMIN - Links to copyrighted material removed.
Last edited by Keith Jordan on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arnold crow
Blade
Blade

Post by arnold crow »

well the whisky part and the straitjacket... i agree it's a bit exagerated...but the outbursts, fires and all the rest..it doesn't suprise me...his sister said something similar in that book A Fish out of Water...I also think it's true.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

sad story indeed. I?d love to see Igor Waters face when he reads the article :lol: :lol:

btw, David Sore lives at 7, St Margarets Square, Cambridge (from on-line telephone directory site). Go and check his motivation :lol:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Coma Divine wrote:Ah, but isn't a cul-de-sac numbered sequentially all the way around, unlike a normal "street" whose opposing sides never meet?
I live in a cul-de-sac, a "court" as they call it here. I'm number 8.
The houses either side of me are 7 and 9.
I know in Canada addressing is supposed to be standardised as Keith describes it
in my job i have to work with address databases which assume all addresses conform to a standardised structure, and software often bails out when it gets to nonstandard adresses, announcing an error
but in fact in older parts of the country addressing was whatever the surveyors came up with on their own at the time, often out of touch with even the next town over
St Johns Nfld, which was settled in the 1500s, is a good spot to find oddball addressing
so Id expect England, settled for millennia, would have much more chaotic archaic addressing
when was Cambridge settled?
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Woah...yeah... Waters is gonna flip when he reads that.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I find it hard to believe that Syd would be yelling "f**K Roger Waters", even if he was pissed at him. This was a friend and bandmate. Even if you're mortally pissed at a friend or previous friend, if you went on a private rage against that person, would you be using their last name? Assuming the story is somewhat true, I don't think his rage would have been that formal.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Massed Gadgets wrote: This was a friend and bandmate.
They/he did dump him from his own band after making them all internationally famous ! :?
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Keith Jordan wrote:
Massed Gadgets wrote: This was a friend and bandmate.
They/he did dump him from his own band after making them all internationally famous ! :?
I know, but that wasn't my point. My point was, that when you know someone well and personally, even if you have a falling out, you don't tend to refer them by their full name in anger, unless you are talking to someone who is not aware of who you are talking about, you know what I mean? If he was ranting alone in his room, he would more likely just yell "F**k that Roger, that..." you know what I mean? I don't know, it's just a small point, but it's something that ran slightly false about the article to me.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I see what you mean! Full naming someone when angry is used for comedy value in my circles! Perhaps he was full naming him to differentiate between himself and the other Roger... Roger Waters! Barrett had become very strange and non-linear so it would seem!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Err. His neighbour seems to be doing a good job of selling Syd's death.
Pow-Wow
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Pow-Wow »

Grumble wrote:I'm amazed you're giving Pow-Wow such a hard time. I can confirm that the article was in the Mail on Sunday (not that I normally buy it) and a gentleman called David Sore lives next door to Roger's old house (and, no, I am not him!). Keith, I'm afraid you're wrong about the house numbers in that street, maybe because it's a cul-de-sac but the numbers are sequential and not the normal odd/even side system.

Further verification can be offered by checking the Astral Pipers forum in the Photo Room section. The article has been scanned in and published by one of the more respected members of that forum. I'm suprised it's taken you this long to pick up on the article, even more amazed that you question it's actual existence.

I don't doubt some of the article's contents have been spiced up to make a good read (given the newspaper) but I'd not be surprised if the basic facts are, indeed, true.
Thanks Grumble for confirming this, and showing that I wasn't yanking everyone's chains. :)
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

As everyone now knows he lives at number 7, perhaps he will be enterprising enough to set up a small stall on his front garden selling mugs, keyrings, t-shirts and the soil from his new neighbours back garden - procured under cover of night of course!
vera
Knife
Knife

Post by vera »

for me that story seems to be very untrue
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

I would guess that The Mail bought the neighbour's story, then rewrote it. It seems "journalistic."
darkfrost12
Axe
Axe

Post by darkfrost12 »

I wouldn't mind living next to Syd no matter what state of mind he is in, besides it is fashionable for people like Roger Waters to scream, spit, and throw things through windows, so what's wrong with Syd doing it?