It Is Obvious!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Raglani
Embryo
Embryo

It Is Obvious!

Post by Raglani »

I recently sat down with my guitar and tried figure this song out since it's not one that pops up on tab sites very often (It's just variations of E and A chords). But when I was reading the lyrics I scratched my head and thought "that's not right". So I listened to all the versions I had of the song. Takes 2,3 and 5 (from Crazy Diamond box) and the Barrett version. What I found was that the wrong lyrics were reprinted over and over on the internet. IMO making it seem more nonsensical than it really is. I always felt "It Is Obvious" was a very warm, loving and together/clear statement. One that shows an uncanny connection to nature and it's double meaning. Not initially one of my favorites but it has really grown on me over the years.

Listening to all the versions I really felt I got a real insight to his recording/performance process. Reading the lyrics and trying different voices, rhythms and phrasing. Phrasing which really seems to push meaning one way or another depending on where they land. I also think he uses a technique (although not rigidly) similar to Arthur Lee in his song "Maybe The People Would Be The Time Or...." where the last word of a line is left paused and then actually becomes the first word of the next line. But I digress.....

Here is the lyric as I hear it, and to my mind it changes the tone a bit and some of the meanings/associations a bit too. This seems a lot more clearer and poetic. I think part of the problem in mishearing the lyric is the fact on the final version the vocal/guitar part seems overdubbed (double tracked) on top of each other, obscuring the words. I've taken some license in how I've presented the lines to clarify what I believe clears up the images/meanings. Let me know what you think.

It Is Obvious

It is obvious!
May I say oh baby
That it is found on another plane
Yes I can creep into cupboards, even sleep in the halls
Your stars, my stars are simple chord barres
Only an impulse
Pie In the sky
Mama Listen (to)
Dolly drift over your mind
Holly- creep into bed when your heads on the ground
(She held the torch on the porch --This phrase is on the "Barrett" version
She winked an eye)

The reason it is written on the brambles, stranded on spikes ( a Blackberry or Raspberry)
My Blood's red. Oh Listen!
Remember those times I could call through the clear daytime and you'd be there?
Braver and braver, a handkerchief waver
The louder your lips to a loud hail-er
Growing together the good of each other
On a wondering, stumbling, fumbling, rumbling
Mind shot together
Our mind shot together

So equally over a valley, a hill
On the wooden quarry
Stood each of us crying a velvet curtain of grey
Mark the blankets where the sparrows play
(and the) Trees by the waving corn stranded
My legs move the last empty inches to you
Softness
The warmth from the weather in suspense
Malt to a grog
Scar of white chalk
Mind shot together
Our minds shot together

I think the two major points here being....
A) "your stars, my stars are simple chord barres" he's acknowledging his pop fame here I think but downplays it in the next line... "Only an impulse, a pie in the sky". Which I think is pretty much his attitude about music summed up right there in B&W.
The first stanza has a feeling of relating to someone on many levels. in a conversational way almost. Kind of like a generational signifier. The stanza is really weird. It is basically saying something to the extant that yeah I exist here on the physical plane, I could hide in that cupboard or i could sleep in the halls (like a hippy! :) ) but really my mind can do anything and I can go anywhere. There is other references to music or sound here too.
"mama listen (to) Dolly (rocker?) drift over your mind" (guess she doesn't get it! It is Obvious!)
"Creep into bed when your head hits the ground" (fall asleep while your listening attentively for clues or details)
Then there is the phrase "She held the torch on the porch and winked an eye" which is not on the other versions of the song but it's inclusion works as a bridge between the indoor/physical and the outdoor/metaphysical. You almost get the feeling of one drifting to sleep and astrally drifting outdoors. Mama leaves the light on (security) and winked an eye (of approval)
The next section really blows my mind because there seems to be this melding of human consciousness and nature consciousness. I get the feeling he could be talking to a girl and making a comparison between them and this bush/fruit/ symbiotic systems etc... or in my flight of fancy it seems he almost takes on a plant consciousness (vegetable man?) There is a rumor reported in Miles' Early Pink Floyd that states that Syd believed he was visited by Pan during the writing of the Piper material and was shown the secrets of nature. He was convinced of it. Maybe it's myth building or maybe he had a really vivid trip or read too many fairy tales as a kid. Regardless he felt very connected to nature. Anthropomorphism usually in folklore is attributed to animals but Syd seems to apply it to plants and trees.
"Braver and braver..." What exactly is a handkerchief waver? A Dandy? A Lady of class? Someone who picks berries? That line stumps me but It's one of my favorites in the song.
The third section just reinforces IMO this point of view of a Anthropomorphic plant consciousness. The berries on the bush cry and turn grey (the color of berries when they mold/rot) returning to the earth, providing a blanket where future animal play. Then it switches back to a relationship vibe with the intimate line "My legs move the last empty inches to you....."

Another line that took another meaning when I listened to this song over and over was..
B) "Malt to a Gog- Scar of white chalk" Malt to a Gog- Malt ( a beverage that young people enjoy) to a gog (a beer) The ages when your at school essentially which leads to the line.. " a scar of white chalk" (a sour education methinks)

Your opinions? Am i crazy with too much Syd? Or am I on to something here? This song comes across fragmented but it really showcases just how aware Syd was of things. Of they're place in the bigger picture. Very romantic song with some very strong insights I believe.

and here's the one floating around the internet so you can compare.. (what is a cock bar? don't say a gay club)

It is obvious
may I say, oh baby, that it is found on another plane?
Yes I can creep into cupboards, sleep in the hall
your stars - my stars, a simple cock bar
only an impulse - pie in the sky
mumble listen dolly
drift over your mind - holly
creep into bed when your head's on the ground
she held the torch on the porch,
she winked an eye

Reason it is written on the brambles
stranded on the spikes - my blood red, oh listen:
remember those times I could call
through the clear day
time - be there...
braver and braver, a handkerchief waver
the louder you lips to a loud hailer
growing together, they ('re) growing each either
no wondering, stumbling, fumbling
rumbling minds shot together,
our minds shot together...

So equally over a valley, a hill
wood on quarry stood, each of us crying
a velvet curtain of gray
mark the blanket where the sparrows play
and the trees by the waving corn stranded
my legs move the last empty inches to you
the softness, the warmth from the weather in suspense
mote to a grog - the star a white chalk
minds shot together, our minds shot together...
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: It Is Obvious!

Post by Wolfpack »

Raglani wrote:Your stars, my stars are simple chord barres
"your stars my stars are simple cot bars"
See the partly shown lyrics sheet in the booklet of 'Wouldn't You Miss Me'.

The sheet, typewritten and titled 'Mind Shot', contains a few lines which were not used:
"stranded I'm wrapping my ears
when her lions ask why"

What a shame the sheet hasn't been printed fully. Does someone have a scan of the full sheet?
The people of the planned Barrett book have been asked to print this sheet in the book, but they don't reply.
http://www.youtube.com/user/barrettbook

Syd Barrett must be the king of misheard lyrics. I wish a serious attempt would be done to have his lyrics as correct as possible. I certainly want to help.
One persistent error is the "clown" in 'Terrapin'. It must be a "clam". This connects with the underwater scene of "we're the fishes". Possibly, David Gilmour is the only one to sing it correct. (And Barrett himself.)
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

"Creep into cupboards..." :lol:

Was he thinking about when he was locked in a cupboard while tripping? (Allegedly)

Barrett's the shit. 8). He just really is.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Raglani,
Fantastic interpretation of Syd's lyrics! Makes complete sense to me. I believe you are right on it with Syd's involvement with nature.I know he insisted Pan spoke to him during the writing of PATGOD & that he was now "one " with nature. I believe him, so call me what you will.His sister Rosemary even points out that in his latter years he would go to the Botanic Gardens in London just to see a certain kind of flower (I forget which!) He also had a garden in his backyard which of course sickos would photograph him at. Evidently, he wasn't the "recluse" we all thought him to be. Recluses don't take 1 hour train rides with other people when he had a hard time dealing with anyone on ANY level!!
If you interpret any more Syd songs please come back here & let us know. I promise not to be such a wind bag next time!! Great job!!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

A handkerchief waver, whenever I listened that line I picture someone in a train looking back through the window and watching the loved woman waving a handkerchief as a way of saying goodbye. It is obvious, really! ;)

Although I haven't given much thought to this song, your interpretation seems really far out! I'm not judging it, just giving my owm impression.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

oldperfume wrote:Evidently, he wasn't the "recluse" we all thought him to be. Recluses don't take 1 hour train rides with other people when he had a hard time dealing with anyone on ANY level!!
Recluses certainly can take train rides. Only they'd rather not talk with other people.
(Unless you see a recluse as a hermit living in an cave, as in comics.)
Raglani
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Raglani »

Wolfpack wrote:
Raglani wrote:Your stars, my stars are simple chord barres
"your stars my stars are simple cot bars"
See the partly shown lyrics sheet in the booklet of 'Wouldn't You Miss Me'.

Yeah I was aware of the lyrics in Wouldn't You Miss Me. Doesn't mean that's what he's singing. It suggests it for sure. Often I think Lyrics were typed up for publishing purposes after the fact. Sometimes by a secretary or label staff. I stand by my interpretation. It just sounds like it and makes more sense this way. If I'm wrong.. :-({|=
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Raglani wrote:Often I think Lyrics were typed up for publishing purposes after the fact.
Yes, but 'Wouldn't You Miss Me' shows a part of the original lyrics sheet.
Raglani wrote:I stand by my interpretation. It just sounds like it and makes more sense this way. If I'm wrong.. :-({|=
I hear Barrett obviously sing "cot" and not "chord".
Last edited by Wolfpack on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raglani
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Raglani »

Wolfpack wrote:
Raglani wrote:Often I think Lyrics were typed up for publishing purposes after the fact.
Yes, but 'Wouldn't You Miss Me' shows a part of the original lyrics sheet.
Raglani wrote:I stand by my interpretation. It just sounds like it and makes more sense this way. If I'm wrong.. :-({|=
I hear Barrett obviosly sing "cot" and not "chord".
:-({|=
scarecrow
Blade
Blade

Post by scarecrow »

'Malt to a Gog- Scar of white chalk'

This was discussed on another forum, it may be a play on words alluding to the Gog Magog hills just south of Cambridge, where there is also a large white chalk formation.

These details of the nature of the Cambridgeshire landscape seem to be scattered among Barrett songs; I also like the 'chalk underfoot' line in Wined and Dined. So many of these solo songs seem to be reflections on the previous years, looking back or 'treading the backward path'. Theres a wistfullness and a richness to the vivid detail of language, which I think is carried through to the expressionist painting style of Barrett's paintings from the 70s on. Barrett spoke of wanting the songs to be 'colourful'

There's elements of this song which I enjoy, its not a favourite of mine - I find the whole 'mind shot' chorus line is kinda painful listening. Anyone agree?