Does anyone else really not get the appeal?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Does anyone else really not get the appeal?

Post by Idisaffect »

For the record:
As of now, 7 people don't get the appeal.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Eight.

I can't stand Syd Barret's music.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

I suppose that like the Grateful Dead, its an aquired taste. I can't understand the Deads influence but I can jam to Barrett all day and understand it all.

Btw is the Barrett site "Late Night" still around? I miss those hippies. :(
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:Eight.
I'm fucking clairvoyant. I knew when I made that post you would follow with an 8. I flashed on it.

Do we have a 9?
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Nein.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

ddebil wrote:At risk of being pierced by the aforementioned pitchforks (nice one MB.. :D ), I tend to agree with both David and Alan on this. I'm sure it was fantastic in it's day but for me, the Syd years haven't stood the test of time.
I say this because they are the least listened to by me, which has to mean something..to me.
I'm all for tripping your nut off for fun (ah, the good old days :smt119 ) but it's not exactly helpful in a working environment.
Imagine where all your post would end up, eh, Alan...let alone my poor passengers. :D
I wouldn't say that too loud... there were numbers of artists inspired, even including post-punks. Julian Cope alone is worth an army, perhaps.

As for myself, yes, I'm a Syd fan. Ridiculous it may sound, whatever, but I do feel a connection. My randomness could have been inspired by him.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

moom wrote:My randomness could have been inspired by him.
Watch out folks, he may even turn zany or wacky soon...
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Yes indeed. Up until now his behavior could be classified as completely normal.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

Well, not a big fan of Syd either. One album with Syd ain't whole Pink Floyd. But i do understand that there would be no Pink Floyd without him. But not only Syd, first Floyd album that i like is Meddle. Never liked psychedelic folk songs so much.... :-({|=
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Stephen wrote:Nein.
Lets make it a nice round 10 .... Ive always felt "meh" listening to Barrett stuff and rarely do - can't actually remember the last time I bothered ..... and comments like "Oh you just don't get it" are fuckin laughable.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Let's cut to the chase: Syd's solo stuff (which I like) is raw & basically half assed. At this point I think he was making these albums because he was EXPECTED to; he didn't want to be a failure in his mind. You can't compare PATGOD with the solo stuff, I'm sorry. 2 completely different frames of mind. What ANYONE gets out of any of Syd's stuff is gonna be different than anyone else. You may not get what I get, it makes no one wrong. Waters stuff can get depressing, & sometimes I just want to hear Syd. No wars, madness, dead fathers,girls,etc. Syd is where I go when I just want to hear great tunes, AWESOME guitar & a wonderful voice!
I think people like Syd because not alot of guys/bands have done what he's done 43 years ago & that's simply going with a "feeling" or "emotion". he played in the moment, whether you like it or not...whatever. He's not everyone's cup of tea, just like Sting or anyone else out there.
Why do people have to "GET" it?!?! why can't they just "ENJOY" it or listen to someone else?
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

oldperfume wrote:You may not get what I get, it makes no one wrong.
Totally agree with you , but unfortunately some Barrett fans have a very annoying and elitest way of of saying "Oh you just don't get what Syd was trying to convey" , or "you don't understand him or his music" - which implies 2 things :

1. That there's some great mystery to Syd's music that needs to be "decrypted" or "unlocked" to truely understand it and that only "enlightened" people "get it".
2. Im a thick fuck because I find little of interest in his music.

Both of which are utter bollocks.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

ha!ha! No, I don't think there is any "hidden "meaning(s) in Syd's songs. If you don't like his tunes fine,no problem with that either. I just like it alot,period,that's all.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I like some of his solo songs but for every one that's good, there are another three or four that are unlistenable. I can't help but think that for some people, the whole back story of what happened to the chap attracted them to his music more than the music itself. I quite like David Gilmour's covers of Syd's songs that he's been doing at live shows. I think it could be partly because I like his vocals better. Syd's singing on a lot of his solo stuff sounds very flat or something, like he's not really there.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

snifferdog wrote:I can't help but think that for some people, the whole back story of what happened to the chap attracted them to his music more than the music itself.
Agree 100% ..... if all of those songs were being released now , by a new or unheard of artist , most would be laughed at.