Secret Images within Syd Barrett's "Dried Flowers" artwork..

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
BrianW
Axe
Axe

Re: Secret Images within Syd Barrett's "Dried Flowers" artwo

Post by BrianW »

OK - I have found a more convincing photo of Brian and Anita and pasted it into the document:

http://www.box.net/shared/era3f4alof

There are, of course, 2 problems with my theory:
a) The painting has recently been dated by the Barrett family as 1963 and Brian and Anita did not get together until 1965
b) As someone has pointed out, the faces are very small and blurry!

But: There are 2 points supporting my theory:
a) The painting was originally dated in the sale catalogue by Cheffins as later than 1963
b) Syd often mixed two ideas into one work of art - click on the video link below to get Will Shutes's view on this:

http://essentialworks.co.uk/blog/2010/0 ... goes-live/

Anyway, everyone will be able to make up their own minds on the matter at the Syd art exhibition...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Secret Images within Syd Barrett's "Dried Flowers" artwo

Post by danielcaux »

The left flower looks like any generic Disney flower with a face to me. It could be Anita, it could be Jane Fonda, it could be Liz Taylor, afterall what makes it a "face" is just a pair of parallel lines resembling a mouth and closed eyes. As prosopagnosiacs can attest, our normal human brain is programmed to recognize faces EVERYWHERE, in the clouds, in the grass, in the ceiling of our room, in the water, even in an abstract painting... so the faces are really in the eye of the beholder.

Although I can't even see any form of face in the right flower.
DriedFlowerDecor
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Secret Images within Syd Barrett's "Dried Flowers" artwork..

Post by DriedFlowerDecor »

Syd Barrett's artwork for the album "The Madcap Laughs," which includes the track "Dolly Rocker," features a distinctive and intricate design that has intrigued fans and art enthusiasts. The cover art, commonly known as "Dolly Rocker" or "Dried Flowers," is a collage of various images that create a surreal and dreamlike composition. Some fans have speculated about hidden or secret images within the artwork, suggesting that Barrett may have embedded additional meanings or symbols.