Syd's influence on Pink Floyd after 1967

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Syd's influence on Pink Floyd after 1967

Post by Wolfpack »

Partly for fun, here's a list of influences that Syd Barrett may have had on Pink Floyd after he left:

- Drum loop and guitar effects on title track of 'A Saucerful of Secrets' (Nick's Boogie)
- At least five minutes of only drums on studioside of 'Ummagumma' (unreleased Lanky Part 2)
- Motorcycle noises on 'Atom Heart Mother' (unreleased Ramadan/Rhamadan)
- Spoken words on 'Dark Side of the Moon' (Pow R. Toc H., Take Thy Stethoscope, She Took a Long Cold Look, Feel, If It's in You)
- Clockworks on 'Dark Side of the Moon' (Bike)
- Sax player on 'Dark Side of the Moon' (unreleased version of Swan Lee)
- Animal songs on 'Animals' (Rats, Maisie, Wolfpack, Effervescing Elephant, Birdy Hop)
- Enumeration of possessions in 'Nobody Home' on 'The Wall' (unreleased Vegetable Man)
- Woman in an artist's room ("what a fabulous room") on 'The Wall' (photo backside The Madcap Laughs)
- 'The Wall' in general, including the movie (getting isolated, living in hotel room, aggression towards women, shaved head)
- The "mad me" (shouting voice on background) on 'The Final Cut' (Long Gone)
- Emphasized pronunciation of the letter T ("make ends meeT") on 'The Final Cut' (Maisie)

And I think I've read that Gilmour used a delayer of Syd in 'One Of These Days', on 'Meddle'.
Also, that Maisie refers to a comic book cow ("bride of a bull"), which could give a link with the cow on the cover of 'Atom Heart Mother'. But I can't find any such Maisie on internet.

Comments and corrections are welcome. [-o<
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Syd's influence on Pink Floyd after 1967

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

The long and short of it for me was they built on his ideas initially and then when they found their own voice began to use it, to a certain extent, to express feelings about him....so yeah, he influenced them...a lot, in my way of thinking.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'm thinking about less banal examples, such as some of Waters's songwriting in 1960 and 1970. I especially refer to "If" and "Grantchester Meadows" here. The word plays in the chorus of the latter are a perfect example of Syd-like songwriting style.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Image of Pink in a hotel room was, reportedly, inspired by Syd. And the lyrics about Hendrix perm, too, I think.
awayandbeyond
Embryo
Embryo

Post by awayandbeyond »

Wolfpack wrote:Partly for fun, here's a list of influences that Syd Barrett may have had on Pink Floyd after he left:

- Drum loop and guitar effects on title track of 'A Saucerful of Secrets' (Nick's Boogie)
- At least five minutes of only drums on studioside of 'Ummagumma' (unreleased Lanky Part 2)
- Motorcycle noises on 'Atom Heart Mother' (unreleased Ramadan/Rhamadan)
- Spoken words on 'Dark Side of the Moon' (Pow R. Toc H., Take Thy Stethoscope, She Took a Long Cold Look, Feel, If It's in You)
- Clockworks on 'Dark Side of the Moon' (Bike)
- Sax player on 'Dark Side of the Moon' (unreleased version of Swan Lee)
- Animal songs on 'Animals' (Rats, Maisie, Wolfpack, Effervescing Elephant, Birdy Hop)
- Enumeration of possessions in 'Nobody Home' on 'The Wall' (unreleased Vegetable Man)
- Woman in an artist's room ("what a fabulous room") on 'The Wall' (photo backside The Madcap Laughs)
- 'The Wall' in general, including the movie (getting isolated, living in hotel room, aggression towards women, shaved head)
- The "mad me" (shouting voice on background) on 'The Final Cut' (Long Gone)
- Emphasized pronunciation of the letter T ("make ends meeT") on 'The Final Cut' (Maisie)

And I think I've read that Gilmour used a delayer of Syd in 'One Of These Days', on 'Meddle'.
Also, that Maisie refers to a comic book cow ("bride of a bull"), which could give a link with the cow on the cover of 'Atom Heart Mother'. But I can't find any such Maisie on internet.

Comments and corrections are welcome. [-o<
"Pigs on the Wing" ("Feel" and other songs from 'Madcap')
"Saucerful of Secrets" ("Nicks Boogie" and "Interstellar Overdrive" . "ASOS" was not the breakout/transition album it is often heralded as being)
"Learning To Fly" "Astronomy Domine" (Gilmour's answer to it?)
""IF" (if not actuallly written by Syd implies just that)
"Summer of '68" (the tempo and guitar chords right before "Good bye to you" and the "slow-down" part of "Waving My Arms" are almost exactly the same)
"Sheep" (element of surprise in the music. "Arnold Layne", Astronomy Domine", exc...)
"Julia Dream", "See-Saw", "Embryo", others... singing style reflective to the point of sounding like him
"Brain Damage" chord structure
"San Tropez" Sounds like it could have been on "Barrett" or in parred down form on 'Madcap' ala "Here I Go"
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Wolfpack wrote:- The "mad me" (shouting voice on background) on 'The Final Cut' (Long Gone)
Also 'Where The Tigers Broke Free' reminds me of 'Long Gone'.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

awayandbeyond wrote:"Learning To Fly" "Astronomy Domine" (Gilmour's answer to it?)
Gilmour probably lost that argument then :lol:
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

I don't know about that one. "Learning to Fly" is one of the better Gilmour-led Floyd songs But it seems to me that "Astronomy" was Waaaay ahead of it's time compared with "Learning".Gilmour does of course play a wonderful solo & I actually like the words; very hands-on, like your in the plane with him.
nova74
Axe
Axe

Post by nova74 »

"Learning to Fly" was self-admitted by Gilmour to be about when he was earning his pilot's license. I forget which interview I read it from but, seriously give Roger a break...
Ryan
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Got to love over analysis. <ii>

The confusing thing is that Syd was taught guitar by Dave, so just how much of their slide guitar + echo machines technique was borrowed from whome is probably impossible to track.
awayandbeyond
Embryo
Embryo

Post by awayandbeyond »

Wolfpack wrote:
Wolfpack wrote:- The "mad me" (shouting voice on background) on 'The Final Cut' (Long Gone)
Also 'Where The Tigers Broke Free' reminds me of 'Long Gone'.
Cool. Thanks!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

"The Crying Song", "I'm cryyyyying" is related to "Opel".
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

Hudini wrote:I'm thinking about less banal examples, such as some of Waters's songwriting in 1960 and 1970. I especially refer to "If" and "Grantchester Meadows" here. The word plays in the chorus of the latter are a perfect example of Syd-like songwriting style.

bingo 2 great examples
also
when roger writes and sings no ones home
that haunting banging on the door
time to go time to go !!
which refers to the 1967 san fran fiasco tv filming where syd crushed 20 or so mandrakes pills mixed with hair goo and locked himself in the back stage dressing room and refused to join the band to start a live recording for tv/radio show //interview
banging on that door still echoes today
syd did appear finally..so much powerful acid and qualudes has taken a permanent toll
he unstrung all his strings and then refused to lip sync with his arm hanging loose at his side
roger hated syd after that
in the boot video roger is glaring at syd .
today teams of docs swope in and help people who are destroying them selves
nick roger rick wanted money and fame more
free four tells of this ....
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

lostplay wrote:which refers to the 1967 san fran fiasco tv filming where syd crushed 20 or so mandrakes pills mixed with hair goo and locked himself in the back stage dressing room and refused to join the band to start a live recording for tv/radio show //interview [...]
syd did appear finally..so much powerful acid and qualudes has taken a permanent toll
he unstrung all his strings and then refused to lip sync with his arm hanging loose at his side [...]
in the boot video roger is glaring at syd .
I think you are mixing up several stories, turnming them into one story.

Doesn't the NPF Forum have a topic about the eternally returning discussion "Pink Floyd vs Syd Barrett"?
I'd like to comment, but don't want to go off-topic.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Wolfpack wrote:Doesn't the NPF Forum have a topic about the eternally returning discussion "Pink Floyd vs Syd Barrett"?
I'd like to comment, but don't want to go off-topic.
This was probably the closest we came:

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... 24&t=21584