Syd's influence on Pink Floyd after 1967

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Re: Syd's influence on Pink Floyd after 1967

Post by David Smith »

Felix Atagong wrote:The ending of High Hopes

Code: Select all

The endless river
Forever and ever
with See Emily Play
Float down a river
forever and ever,
Emily, Emily
You know, after listening to both songs a lot of times in the past 9 years or so now of being a fan, this connection never occured to me. Good stuff.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Post by Meandthem »

Obviously we're all influenced by people and things from the past, but to say that everybody in the Floyd, but Syd was "non-persons" is a bit over the top. They just played in a band together and that's all - playing pingpong with words and thoughts. If we don't accumulate the good and the bad from our fellowman, we're ignorants.
Syd influenced the others 'cause they were able to absorb the energy he spread - he, on the other hand, was unable to absorb energy the other way due to his introvert mind, hence dis-charging his mental batteries...

And they didn't "just" get influenced by Syd, but by the days and times of the 60's, by the music and lyrics from the past, "from the good and the bad books" that they had read. It's true that Syd was the key to the other side - lyric vise - but we all wrote like Syd, Lennon or Dylan 'cause it was "hip" at the time.

And like in a crooked stream, the heavy sediment is left back, while the light stuff has disappeared.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Meandthem wrote:And they didn't "just" get influenced by Syd, but by the days and times of the 60's, by the music and lyrics from the past, "from the good and the bad books" that they had read. It's true that Syd was the key to the other side - lyric vise - but we all wrote like Syd, Lennon or Dylan 'cause it was "hip" at the time.
Maybe the Barrett Pink Floyd would have ended in 1967/1968 anyway. Maybe in the end, Waters is a better writer. He can play with surrealism and reality. Barrett mostly plays with surrealism only. 'I'm the Walrus' is a great song, but imagine if John Lennon would have stayed in that style. How many strawberry fields can the audience have?
Wasn't 'Stars' just an golden oldies band? They performed no new material, except for some instrumental jam stuff. Maybe Barrett was a genius like Brian Wilson. One or two albums full of great material and then the genius becomes average.
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

I saw a top 10 best replacemet singers list and David came in at 3 I believe. Make what you will of that, I know lists tend to tick people off now and then.