Syd Barrett at Shine on session

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

I got this picture from the wiki entry for floyd and I and someone else who's into Floyd were surprised it wasn't more widley known (well, by us).
Does anyone know where it came from or why it's not more widely known.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Syd at Shine on session

Post by snifferdog »

That photo appears in Nick Mason's book and has been printed elsewhere as far as I know. It was taken when Syd turned up to the Wish You Were Here sessions.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Flying pig437 wrote:widely known.
This is one of the most famous pics in Floyds history. It was made by someone in the studio at that time.
I dont know what do you mean by it's not widely known... Judging by Syd's belt area, it's very widely known lol.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That one looks like someone has been editing it to remove the scratches and adjust the colour balance. I think this one is closer to what the original probably is... and is slightly larger too.

It is indeed Syd Barrett at Abbey Road during the Wish You Were Here sessions on 5th June 1974 I believe.

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/galle ... u.jpg.html

dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Keith Jordan wrote: It is indeed Syd Barrett at Abbey Road during the Wish You Were Here sessions on 5th June 1974 I believe.
It's June 5th 1975.
FWIW, those who were at Syd's solo sessions at Abbey Road in August 1974 have said that at that point Syd still looked like he did in the late 60's. He was thin and had fairly long hair. That makes it all the more shocking to see how much he changed in the 10 months between those sessions, and this photo.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Syd looks he enjoyed more medicaments (cortisone?) than pork chops.

btw, nice to see you around, David :)
Floydian
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian »

I love this picture.
karmania
Axe
Axe

Post by karmania »

zag wrote:Syd looks he enjoyed more medicaments (cortisone?) than pork chops.

btw, nice to see you around, David :)
Thanks Keith for clear pic, Not sure if Roger is enjoying anything by the look on his face, he is almost smiling but his eyes...

Certainly any steroid type medications will have caused the weight gain...

And having long hair can bring about early baldness, which became very apparent on Roger in the later 70's and early 80's.

'Syd' had left the building some time before this photo, though his spirit ever pervasive SHINES ON.

Benedictions All

PS I remember being told there is a whole reel of film from this day and there are more photos of Roger Barrett in NM's collection.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

karmania wrote:PS I remember being told there is a whole reel of film from this day and there are more photos of Roger Barrett in NM's collection.
Hmmm, that leads me to an interesting question? Is there an album of David Gilmour's wedding available for viewing anywhere? If Syd was there, he must be on at least one pic. I mean, he was definitely not just any guest, if he was actually there.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I wonder why he shaved his head. Isn't it viewed as a sign of madness in some quarters? It certainly conjours up a certain mindset in people if you see somebody who has shaved their head, I find this out the hard way! Maybe he didn't want to ve recognised. He was clearly confused at the sessions as he thought Pink Floyd would allow him to overdub a guitar part. Hell if I was Pink Floyd I would probably let him put down some crazy scatty guitar solo that doesn't fit the music at all. It would be like letting him sign the music. I wonder why he thought he was still a member of the band though.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

my breakfast. wrote:I wonder why he shaved his head. Isn't it viewed as a sign of madness in some quarters?
Maybe he didn't shave his head deliberately. Maybe he was using strong medication which caused his hair to fall off. That would explain why he has no eyebrows too. A friend of mine suffers from Alopecia and when his hair (including eyebrows) started falling off he just shaved it all, and I must admit I thought he went crazy.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

I know this is slightly OT but there really should be a steering wheel in that photo as he looks very similar to someone I work with! :lol:
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

karmania wrote:
zag wrote: PS I remember being told there is a whole reel of film from this day and there are more photos of Roger Barrett in NM's collection.
who by?
dgsyd1
Knife
Knife

Post by dgsyd1 »

Nick Mason does have some 8mm footage of the 5 man Pink Floyd, but i've never heard of him having film of Syd at the WYWH sessions. Bernard White was supposed to have had a lot of unseen Syd photos, which disapeared after he died.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Damn!t wrote:
Flying pig437 wrote:widely known.
I dont know what do you mean by it's not widely known... Judging by Syd's belt area, it's very widely known lol.
:lol: