Finally a decent Barrett book?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: Finally a decent Barrett book?

Post by Wolfpack »

Hudini wrote:I see a rather inconsistent forum poster who either slightly changes his point of view from post to post or has absolutely no clue about what he's posting but keeps on posting it anyway because he won't admit a draw.
And I see a forum poster who rather discusses my person than Syd Barrett. :)
Hudini wrote:Not defeat, a draw. Since neither one of us can be proven right because there is no solid evidence of Syd Barrett being sane or not. But at least I am flexible enough to admit it, and it has nothing to do with my point of view.
There's more than enough proof that Barrett had heavy mental problems.
Hudini wrote:As I already mentioned, I once burned a pile of my old work and an old couch. I didn't mention that I once shaved my head for no real reason, jumped out of a moving train, walked through a traffic only tunnel during very heavy traffic, jumped into an empty pool, broke into a house of one of my girlfriends while she was away, left the class in high school by jumping out of a window and wore short trousers in November quite a few times. I'm so glad that people around me are not like you, I'd be institutionalized ten times by now. :lol:
Jumping out of a moving train? Walking through a traffic only tunnel during very heavy traffic? Breaking into a house? I think this is bad behaviour that can harm other people. Just imagine a car trying to avoid you and then crashing against another car. I don't think such behaviour defends Barrett's case.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

For "more than enough proof" it's a funny thing that no one (including you) points out to any more solid than mere speculations.

You're slightly starting to lose the thread here. So I'll stop replying to your posts. It has no point anymore.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Hudini wrote:For "more than enough proof" it's a funny thing that no one (including you) points out to any more solid than mere speculations.
People have given more than enough proof, but I don't think you'll take any of it serious.

Yes, let's stop this discussion. I don't think I'll ever convince someone who walks through a traffic only tunnel during very heavy traffic. :)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Name this proof dude. Give me a list of completely verifiable things that mean Syd had "heavy mental problems". None of the speculation or NME lies, actual proof. Not just stuff that is slightly different from the accepted norms of society.

I want substantiated evidence.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

my breakfast. wrote:I want substantiated evidence.
If you haven't seen it yet, you'll never see it.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I am happy that I am insane, like my bro Syd!!! <ii> :smt101
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Wolfpack wrote:If you haven't seen it yet, you'll never see it.
Jesus man you failed at a basic task. Try harder.

Give me just five big bits of evidence that Syd Barrett was a nutjob. Not merely eccentric, or "oddly British" or whatever. It is just that being British myself my own family is pretty good for eccentric individuals (including those that have had stints in various institutions) and it is not seriously uncommon. However batshit insane they are not.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

my breakfast. wrote:Jesus man you failed at a basic task. Try harder.
Basic task? Some people just cannot be convinced of Barrett's illness. Even if Barrett would hang himself on a tree, they would say it's a genius at work.
my breakfast. wrote:Give me just five big bits of evidence that Syd Barrett was a nutjob. Not merely eccentric, or "oddly British" or whatever. It is just that being British myself my own family is pretty good for eccentric individuals (including those that have had stints in various institutions) and it is not seriously uncommon. However batshit insane they are not.
Looks as if I only have to search some politically correct words for Barrett's mental problems. No matter what words I'll find, they won't make Barrett healthy.

People who think that Barrett lived this tragic, lonesome life as some sort of artistic statement, are maybe a bit tragic themselves. They fail to see how much efforts members of Pink Floyd have done for Barrett. Another group may not have given a damn. They helped him getting through his solo recording sessions. And what do they get? Angry conspiracy theories from people who endlessly victimize Barrett. They forget that Barrett wasn't god, but a very difficult person to work with.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

*gone to hang himself on a tree as an artistic statement*
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Wolfpack wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Jesus man you failed at a basic task. Try harder.
Basic task? Some people just cannot be convinced of Barrett's illness. Even if Barrett would hang himself on a tree, they would say it's a genius at work.
Looks as if I only have to search some politically correct words for Barrett's mental problems. No matter what words I'll find, they won't make Barrett healthy.
People who think that Barrett lived this tragic, lonesome life as some sort of artistic statement, are maybe a bit tragic themselves. They fail to see how much efforts members of Pink Floyd have done for Barrett. Another group may not have given a damn. They helped him getting through his solo recording sessions. And what do they get? Angry conspiracy theories from people who endlessly victimize Barrett. They forget that Barrett wasn't god, but a very difficult person to work with.

Errrr..... try harder.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

I haven't heard any news about the book this topic is about, titled 'Barrett'. Has the project died?

The makers have been asked to include the full lyrics sheet of 'It Is Obvious' (titled 'Mind Shot'), which is only partly shown in the booklet of the compilation CD 'Wouldn't You Miss Me''. But they just don't reply:
http://www.youtube.com/user/barrettbook
I think they could do at least some effort in replying questions, which would be a nice promotion for the book. Now it seems to me that they just don't care.

A book that shows Barrett's talents is simply incomplete without surviving lyrics sheets. The book seems to have lots of photo's of Barrett, but I'm a bit fed up with that. Barrett was a songwriter, not a photo model. There's no mention of the book showing any surviving LYRICS sheets.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

I've found some news at Facebook, posted on Friday 3 September 2010:
Barrett Hello all, sorry for not checking in for a while but have been very busy getting the book together! We are really getting there now and in just the last week we have found unseen photos of Syd and the Floyd which are great! I will keep you posted on how things progress!
Source: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrett/368555225866

Just some news about more and more photo's... No news on lyrics.
I feel forced to become a Facebook-member, just to ask about 'It Is Obvious'. (Instead of doing that on their YouTube channel.) If they're too busy to pay attention to suggestions from potential customers, maybe the book won't be what I want. I'd love to have a book collecting Barrett's work, like his paintings. I think lots of photo's are a waste of space for such a book. Every photo will be at cost of a painting or other work. I want to see Barrett's WORK. I've seen his face more than enough.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Still no news about the book.

A message from 17 hours ago:
Adrian Stewart
I know a project of this magnitude takes quite alot, and I'm sure the people that are heading it up are quite busy, but couldn't they at least give us a few more messages concerning the progress. And maybe a message or two concerning the type of support they have recieving. It's not that I'm unappreciative of what they...'re doing, I'm just really excited to see this project finished.
source: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrett/368555225866

The Twitter channel is silent since july 7th, 2010:
http://twitter.com/barrettbook

Also silent, the YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/barrettbook

Maybe it's safe to assume that the project has died? If it hasn't, who's gonna buy the book when it gets so little promotion and the makers give so little insight to potential buyers? I think Barrett deserves more.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I shall email the author now and see if he is able to offer an indication of the likeliness of publishing the book.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Keith Jordan wrote:I shall email the author now and see if he is able to offer an indication of the likeliness of publishing the book.
Can you also ask him about the likeliness of including the lyrics sheet 'Mind Shot' (a.k.a. 'It Is Obvious'), of which only a part has been published in the booklet of compilation-CD 'Wouldn't You Miss Me'? It would be one of the few (or maybe the only one) authorized, surviving Barrett lyrics.

I think the book would be terribly incomplete if it celebrates Barrett's talents without showing surviving lyrics.