Finally a decent Barrett book?

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Meandthem
Blade
Blade

Re: Finally a decent Barrett book?

Post by Meandthem »

Sure - looking forward to reading it...
Would be nice to have direct access to the author.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Rob Chapman has indicated to me that he would be happy to do a Q&A if enough people have questions to ask him.

Perhaps you should start listing some questions, perhaps a list up to ten, then he can answer them for you. 8)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I'm still on my way through "A Very Irregular Head", but I'd like to participate in this Q/A session. I'll post some questions as soon as I find out if the book answers them or not. ;)
Kobryn
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Kobryn »

I'm reading A Very Irregular Head right now. I both love it and kind of hate it. It's strength and weakness is that it is EXTREMELY extensive. This is wonderful, in some cases, in that it paints a very vivid picture of the time period and of Syd, but it is also very slow at times and a drag to read. I don't really need to hear 2 pages of analysis on a letter that he wrote to girlfriend, proving that it was indeed written in '64 and not '65! I could be alone on this, but in my opinion the difference between that year is pretty minuscule in the overall story of Syd. The book in general is very long. I've been reading it for about 3 months and I'm just barely over halfway through (though take note that by halfway through the book he has already left The Floyd, so it must go in detail of his time after the band.)
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Finished the book last night. There's still so much impressions yet to settle down in me, but I can say that it was a great read. It really shines a new light on Syd Barrett, in a way that it effectively dismisses a lot of myths that had been wrapped around him for so long by logically explaining how they were first made. It also proves right some of us who always thought that he wasn't a madman or a drug casualty, but rather a sad dysfunctional man lost in this world he didn't belong to. Although enjoyable, it is such a sad book.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Picked up the Mick Rock "Psychedelic Renegades" book in HMV for €5.99