An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Will you listen to (buy) this album?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Not decided
12%

Total votes: 34

Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by Hudini »

David was able to perfectly copy Rick's style. In fact, most of the keyboards on "The Wall" and "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" were actually played by David, although it sounds like they were played by Rick. So this doesn't surprise me much.
pinksmile
Axe
Axe

Post by pinksmile »

THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT SHOULD HAVE BEEN RELEASED - Rhamadan on CD single. Cost - about $10. Forget the rest, it is just the same bloody stuff rehashed. I am not interested in people saying - hey, they are new 2010 mixes, so that makes it worth it etc etc. IT DOESN'T. You NEVER touch the original recordings (EXCEPT FOR REMASTERING WHEN NEEDED),as they represent where the band/solo were at when they made these songs. You wouldn't go and touch up the original Mona Lisa painting would you ? for the sake of modernising. You appreciate it for what it was when it was painted originally. Exactly the same principals should apply to these songs etc. These record companies/Pink Floyd members or whoever is behind these re-releases should be held accountable for this crap. Another useless release except for rhamadan.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Have any reviews of the album be published yet?
Or are we best waiting for next months' magazines?
What sort of ratings do you think it'll get?
Will it get 5 stars from any?
Or do you think it'll get "Wouldn't You Miss Me? was the better compilation, but it goes to a good cause" type of reviews?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I asked the other week for a copy from PF management so I shall be doing a review shortly when it arrives. That should be fun. :-)

Haven't seen any other reviews out there yet.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:So, if all instruments were done by Gilmour, does that mean that Rick wasn't the one playing the organ on this track? It sounds a lot like him.
Strange that David Parker doesn't mention the organ, but only "acoustic guitar, bass and percussion".
Does the organ sound like Rick Wright?
Hudini wrote:David was able to perfectly copy Rick's style. In fact, most of the keyboards on "The Wall" and "A Momentary Lapse Of Reason" were actually played by David, although it sounds like they were played by Rick. So this doesn't surprise me much.
At least on The Wall, Gilmour is only credited for synthesizers. Uncredited are Bob Ezrin and Jamers Guthrie, for synthesizers. And Fred Mandel for Hammond organ.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wall#Personnel
pinksmile wrote:You NEVER touch the original recordings (EXCEPT FOR REMASTERING WHEN NEEDED),as they represent where the band/solo were at when they made these songs. You wouldn't go and touch up the original Mona Lisa painting would you ? for the sake of modernising. You appreciate it for what it was when it was painted originally.
In the world of painting are artists who make variations of existant paintings. And in the world of music, even the old classical composers have made variations of existant compositions.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:What sort of ratings do you think it'll get?
Will it get 5 stars from any?
Should we care?

I mean, is not even a new album where we have no idea how do the songs sound. We all know all this songs, so why worry about a number in a review?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Again, why is everybody lusting after Rhamadan (god that sounds strange). From what we know, Rhamadan was an unfocused percussion jam with or without very badly recorded motorbike noises overdubbed. Do you really need to hear that? Syd was a singer who wrote cool lyrics and played guitar idiosynchratically. None of these traits would be present on Rhamadan.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

my breakfast. wrote: everybody lusting after Rhamadan
Becouse it's a dirty marketing trick!
And yall fell for it! AHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

my breakfast. wrote:From what we know, Rhamadan was an unfocused percussion jam with or without very badly recorded motorbike noises overdubbed.
'Rhamadan' contains guitar. And the motorbike noises were taken from a sound library, for inclusion. They were not overdubbed, because Barrett lost interest after technical difficulties. (His amateur cassette player with the noises he recorded was not compatible with the professional studio equipment.)
'Rhamadan' is said to remind of 'Lanky Part 1'. Which is a track that reminds of Syd's Pink Floyd.
my breakfast. wrote:Syd was a singer who wrote cool lyrics and played guitar idiosynchratically. None of these traits would be present on Rhamadan.
Neither are these traits present on Syd Floyd's 'Interstellar Overdrive' and 'Nick's Boogie'. And not on the post-Barrett tracks 'A Saucerful of Secrets', 'Sysyphus', 'Atom Heart Mother', 'One Of These Days', ' Obscured By Clouds', 'When You're In', 'Mudmen', 'Absolutely Curtains', 'On the Run' and 'Signs Of Life' (which contains some instrumental music with overdubs of a man rowing a boat).

The 'Rhamadan' sessions seem to have gone into history as a waste of time because of being experimental, long and containing no vocals. I wonder if people who think that way, have ever heard Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd. They were known for their long experimental, instrumental jams. They were not known for short catchy songs, as some seem to think.
With 'Rhamadan', Barrett tried to continue what he did with Pink Floyd.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Wolfpack wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Syd was a singer who wrote cool lyrics and played guitar idiosynchratically. None of these traits would be present on Rhamadan.
Neither are these traits present on Syd Floyd's 'Interstellar Overdrive' and 'Nick's Boogie'. And not on the post-Barrett tracks 'A Saucerful of Secrets', 'Sysyphus', 'Atom Heart Mother', 'One Of These Days', ' Obscured By Clouds', 'When You're In', 'Mudmen', 'Absolutely Curtains', 'On the Run' and 'Signs Of Life' (which contains some instrumental music with overdubs of a man rowing a boat).
I'm sure you are trying to make a point in some smarmy little way here, but it is completely lost on me. Syd's idiosynchratic guitar work is all over Interstellar and Nick's Boogie....
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

my breakfast. wrote:Syd's idiosynchratic guitar work is all over Interstellar and Nick's Boogie....
And the idiosynchratic guitar can be heard in 'Lanky Part One', which is said to be comparable with Rhamadan. A difference is that it takes some minutes before it comes in.

With my reply I concentrated on Barrett as singer. I recall reading that when the material for his 3rd solo album was reviewed for release on 'Crazy Diamond', it was put into fast forward while watching the VU-meter of the vocal track, to see if there was any raise in sound level. The only times the sound level raised was when the microphone was hit accidently. The lack of vocals was the main reason for keeping the material unreleased. However, of the material that leaked on the internet, there is a total of about three minutes containing a experimental soundscape that reminds me of the Piper years. (The rest being instrumental blues.) If the reviewers wouldn't have concentrated on finding vocals, I think those minutes would be interesting for release. Some of the instrumental blues material also contains some experimental Barrett guitar sounds.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Are they on youtube?

I really want to hear a better version of the instrumental take (maybe fake?) of Swan Lee that used to be on A Tree Full of Secrets. It had just the guitar part (a lovely example of a DI-ed telecaster tone) and a sort of mashed in piano that sort of fitted. Also there was some old trad jazz thing vamping in and out.

I also think there is a good version of Swan Lee hiding behind all the shite on the Opel version. Strip off the useless percussion, backwards grunge and other things and Syd's guitar part sounds awesome. That string bend thing he does is straight off of surf music or Eddie Cochrane and is very inspired.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

my breakfast. wrote:Are they on youtube?
Is it safe to say yes, if they are? :?:
my breakfast. wrote:I really want to hear a better version of the instrumental take (maybe fake?) of Swan Lee that used to be on A Tree Full of Secrets. It had just the guitar part (a lovely example of a DI-ed telecaster tone) and a sort of mashed in piano that sort of fitted. Also there was some old trad jazz thing vamping in and out.
I don't know 'A Tree Full of Secrets'. Is it the instrumental version with piano, sax and (as it sounds to me) some disjointed banjo? I guess it's real and that some of it is used as backing for later layers.
The other instrumental version I know, contains the backward cymbals (as heard on 'Opel') emphasized. They get an obvious delay effect during the intermezzo. (I write this from memory.) I think that version is based on a remix of the piano version, excluding the sax, piano and banjo. The version with vocals, on 'Opel', contains a remix of this backing. With additional overdubs added.
my breakfast. wrote:I also think there is a good version of Swan Lee hiding behind all the shite on the Opel version.
I think 'Swan Lee' definately deserves a new remix. (The version on 'Opel' is a 1980s mix by Malcolm Jones, as far as I know.) I think the instrumental version with the backward cymbals emphasized, is superior. Barrett's vocals must be on a separate track, so it's easy to do in these digital days.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Wolfpack wrote:
my breakfast. wrote:Are they on youtube?
Is it safe to say yes, if they are? :?:
No one will harm you if you just share a linky. 8)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

4 Rare Instrumental Syd Barrett Tracks Last Session (1974)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x8T6BKlLYc
After 1:32, an experimental recording begins, containing an overdub of a solo with a slightly distorted guitar sound. After 2:58, a second experimental recording starts, ending at 4:47.
Together it's more than 3 minutes of guitar soundscape. I think it sounds like the way Barrett's abstract paintings look.

I don't know how out of tune or disjointed the soundscape maybe is to conservatory people. To me it sounds like a rather decent guitar experiment that should have been on 'Crazy Diamond' or maybe as hidden track on 'Introduction'.

The material is available on a ROIO. Titled something like "now you have it". The first photo shown (Barrett's face besides car front light) is on the cover. I want to have this CD!
The 'Have You Got It Yet' Barrett collection, as I know it, only contains a snippet of the guitar solo.

Mr. Management: I would certainly buy an official release of this!