An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Will you listen to (buy) this album?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Not decided
12%

Total votes: 34

tebrookes
Embryo
Embryo

Re: An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by tebrookes »

I havent read "an irregular head" yet. Does that put me at a disadvantage then? Bastards.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

No, tebrookes, you are not at a disadvantage.

I merely mention the book, because it challenges a lot of myths about Syd over the years, and I appreciate that a lot. The Mandrax and Bryl Creem story is very old...BUT, there is absolutely no proof that it actually happened. That is why the book is so good.
tebrookes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tebrookes »

Ok. I've read every other book. Sort of thought reading 3 or 4 was enough really! I shall have to buy it then. :)
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

What's Lady Jax? And what it's used for?
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

nosaj wrote:The Mandrax and Bryl Creem story is very old...BUT, there is absolutely no proof that it actually happened. That is why the book is so good.
However, is there proof that it did NOT happen? :-;

On-topic. According to Amazon, the release of 'Introduction' is postponed further: "This title will be released on November 9, 2010."
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:
nosaj wrote:The Mandrax and Bryl Creem story is very old...BUT, there is absolutely no proof that it actually happened. That is why the book is so good.
However, is there proof that it did NOT happen? :-;
No, but there's no proof of the inexistence of that proof either, so... :-({|=
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Listen to CD and view booklet of An Introduction to Syd Barrett album out Monday in UK. Official content. http://bit.ly/cCOUAe
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I'm flatout disappointed that Keith's quiz to win the album supports the unsubstantiated "Syd put xxxx in his hair" rumour. ](*,) ](*,) This place is meant to be a fountain of Floyd knowledge not a creaky rumour mill.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

bravo, Alan ! [-D-]
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Keith Jordan wrote:Listen to CD and view booklet of An Introduction to Syd Barrett album out Monday in UK. Official content. http://bit.ly/cCOUAe
According to the booklet, the printed lyrics are a reconstruction. This must mean that Barrett's own songbook mentioned in an early 1970s interview is LOST. :(

Finally, reconstructed lyrics of 'Terrapin' mention the "fangs all 'round the clam" (instead of the clown). And 'Gigolo Aunt' mentions "satin entrail" (instead of "satin on trail").
However, 'Dark Globe' mentions "brandish a wand". I think it should be "brandish your wand".
'Octopus' mentions "the leaves should wag", which I think is "the leaves did wag". And I think "and go my side" should be "for good my side".

If only an attempt would be done to decipher all the lyrics. Barrett deserves it more than all the deciphering of his personal life! Most Barrett fans seem to be more interested in hairsplitting his life than his lyrics.

The back mentions that 'Rhamadan' can be downloaded at:
http://www.sydbarrett.com/bonus/
But you must have the CD in your CD/DVD drive, and give name, email adress and date of birth.
I hope that entering the CD doesn't install some copy protection software...

One of the extra questions asked is: "What sort of bonus material do you like? Please select one..."
- Remixes
- Live Tracks
- Studio Tracks
- Lyrics
- Booklet
- Videos
Why only ONE choice? I want remixes, live tracks, lyrics and videos. But I'll choose lyrics.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Live tracks, studio tracks and videos are top priority for me. All the rest is just packaging.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:Live tracks, studio tracks and videos are top priority for me. All the rest is just packaging.
The point is: you'll have to choose only one.
Why oh why? [-o<
tebrookes
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tebrookes »

"One of the extra questions asked is: "What sort of bonus material do you like? Please select one..."
- Perhaps DG is conducting a little bit of market research on the whole remix/revisit thing???
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I must say, the images used in the booklet are silly. Dominoes and Bike have what kind of images associated with the songs? Wow, that is really creative. ](*,)

But, judging by the link, the cd cover will not be a jewel case...I like that.

EDIT: The questionaire about live, remixes, etc. is a very promising thing. [-o<
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

my breakfast. wrote:[Swan lee] I'm not a fan of the instrumental Opel version either. Those backwards effects do nothing for me. Too much like commercial music trying too hard to be psychedelic.
(Just to nitpick, there is no instrumental version of 'Swan Lee' on 'Opel'. An instrumental version only circulates on bootlegs.)
I do like the backwards effects and the bass guitar. Very much. The music sounds to me like the water of a river going to a waterfall. But I find the 'Opel'-mix too chaotic at the end of the intermezzo. As if Barrett's guitar clashes with the beginning of the singing, like: Oops, I forgot the intermezzo is this short.
I think a remix would have emphasized how good the song is. But now I'm once again repeating myself and that would make lazy Mr. Gilmour even more sleepy. :lol: