An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Will you listen to (buy) this album?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Not decided
12%

Total votes: 34

zag
Judge!
Judge!

Re: An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by zag »

Jascierto wrote:Remasters and remixes are nice and all, but i feel like this is a missed opportunity. Would've been a perfect time to trot out Scream (nick mason vocals notwithstanding) and VM, or whatever else gilmour might be holding. But the track selection bothers me a bit---"she took a long etc" and "if it's in you" could be replaced by golden hair or long gone, which i think are far superior tracks.
My thoughts exactly.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

According to the anonymous blogger who posts on David Gilmour's website...

http://www.davidgilmourblog.com/2010/08 ... o-syd.html
The CD will be presented in a smart Digipak sleeve, designed by Storm Thorgerson, with the lyrics included in a 20-page booklet. It is due for release on and around Monday 4 October, depending on where in the world you find yourself, and should now gradually begin to appear on assorted sites available for pre-order.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

It ain't costing something like 99 pounds, and i am working....so why i would not get it? Some of you peoples are just too sensitive.
Last edited by JackRegan on Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

from the same blog http://bit.ly/bj7vIt

"Of greatest interest to those who need no introduction to Syd, though, is the previously-unreleased 20-minute instrumental, ‘Rhamadan’. This is to be offered as an extra track for download, should you purchase either the CD or iTunes version of the album in its entirety. "

Rhamadan ?! :-s

Looks like I have to buy it then lol
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Holy ****!!!! Rhamadan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <ii> <ii> <ii> <ii>

Even before zag posted that above, I knew I would buy it...the "remix" of Matilda Mother could mean many things...

There are quite a number of releases coming out in late September and early October that I want...I guess it is the Christmas season getting under way.
hazchem
Axe
Axe

Post by hazchem »

JackRegan wrote:It ain't costing something like 99 pounds, and i am working....so why i would not get it? Some of you peoples are just too sensitive.
I don't think people are being too sensitive, I certainly don't think I am anyway. Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of the topic here, but I don't see much point in compilation albums from bands. Yes, maybe a compilation of 80's hits or dance songs, but a compilation from an actual band......I don't get it.

I know the point is that there are people who will want to hear the best of what the band have to offer without buying their whole back catalogue, but without going away and counting (cause I can't be bothered) I think this is Floyds 4th compilation album. If people now just bought their actual albums from Ebay it would probably wouldn't cost that much more as what it would buying the compilation albums when they were new at the time.

In short, I think for the time it took to remaster and work on the material, why couldn't we get something with a little more thought behind it as I mentioned in my previous post; I think this is what these so called sensitive people are getting at too?
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

hazchem wrote:
JackRegan wrote:It ain't costing something like 99 pounds, and i am working....so why i would not get it? Some of you peoples are just too sensitive.
I don't think people are being too sensitive, I certainly don't think I am anyway. Maybe I'm getting too far ahead of the topic here, but I don't see much point in compilation albums from bands. Yes, maybe a compilation of 80's hits or dance songs, but a compilation from an actual band......I don't get it.

I know the point is that there are people who will want to hear the best of what the band have to offer without buying their whole back catalogue, but without going away and counting (cause I can't be bothered) I think this is Floyds 4th compilation album. If people now just bought their actual albums from Ebay it would probably wouldn't cost that much more as what it would buying the compilation albums when they were new at the time.

In short, I think for the time it took to remaster and work on the material, why couldn't we get something with a little more thought behind it as I mentioned in my previous post; I think this is what these so called sensitive people are getting at too?
Of course i want have rare Live performances of Pink Floyd and so on....but can you tell me how many Syd collections there are? Fine, don't buy it, i will.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Man all the winging in this thread.

Its like this.

NPF: "Baaaaw, Pink Floyd never release any new albums.... baaaaw"

Pink Floyd: "Here is a new Syd Barrett Compilation!!!! 2010 remixes!!!!!"

NPF: "Bawwwwwww, where is Vegetable Man????"

Can I just point out the obvious, Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream are shit songs yeah?
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

I think Bran deserves a credit for your post.... :wink:

Damn!t wrote:We fans are a very ungrateful breed, arent we?
It's not good if they're not issuing material, it's not good if they're doing it, becouse they are milking us.... etc.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

[-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-]

This behaviour is hardly sending out positive messages to them to issue more stuff.

Love the enigmatic artwork from Storm again.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

my breakfast. wrote:Can I just point out the obvious, Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream are shit songs yeah?
haha i was thinking the same thing. those songs are horrid!

Rhamadan sounds interesting though. of course it won't be on the cd though so i'm still on the fence of buying it.

so is Matilda Mother the alternate version that was on the Piper 40th anniversary release but now a new mix of that? Matilda Mother is among my favorites from Piper so that interests me. love me some Dominoes as well. ok maybe i'll buy this damn thing.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

I can only side with Bran and Alan and say that anyone who thinks this album will be shite can feel free not to get it. Personally, I do like "Vegetable Man" but I simply hate "Scream Thy Last Scream" and I wouldn't like to hear it on any Syd Barrett compilation, remixed or not. Plus it's not even sung by Syd! I mean, the album's called "The Introduction to Syd Barrett", why the hell would anyone want to hear Nick Mason singing on it? It would be just like an album called "An Introduction to Roger Waters" that would feature "Cirrus Minor" which he wrote but didn't appear on for a second.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

First of all, these are great news. Yeah, rephrasing a very old quote from this forum, "they're rereleasing us to death", but at least they're doing something on this one.
Keith Jordan wrote:1. The album features 18 songs by Syd Barrett from his solo albums as well as Pink Floyd.

2. 5 of the songs have been re-mixed and added to by the album’s producer Pink Floyd’s guitarist David Gilmour as well as Damon Iddins and Andy Jackson at Astoria Studios.

3. The album features brand new artwork by long term album artwork provider Storm Thorgerson.

1. The tracklist ain't the best one out there that is, but it's still got a lot of my favorite songs, even Love You.

2. For a moment, I read "Damon Albarn". Now that's a guy who'd make decent mixes of Syd's songs. But okay...

3. For that alone this album is worth releasing. Storm will always be probably the best graphic designer there is and will always have special place in my heart. I believe the figure at the front is Syd (not for real, of course) trying to find his identity. Vegetable Man? Maybe. This one rather looks like Image
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

The word Madcap rings a bell?
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

there was an earlier Syd compliation album, Wouldnt You Miss Me
thats the one Bob Dylans Blues 1st appeared on
Opel on the other hand was all prev unreleased material
this album looks like a redundancy to me: the only novelty is it mixes some of his Floyd work with his solo work, which certainly makes sense

sorry I cannot praise them for once again rerereleasing material I already have, but I will buy new stuff from the archives when it comes out (eg Opel, Make Love In London, Syds BBC Sessions, the Piper boxset ... I bought all those as soons they came out)