An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Will you listen to (buy) this album?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Not decided
12%

Total votes: 34

Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Re: An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by Wolfpack »

I got a newsletter from SydBarrett.Com:
Watch the brand new montage video for Syd Barrett's 'Here I Go' which was made to celebrate the release of 'An Introduction to Syd Barrett'.

Watch it on the Syd Barrett Facebook page here.
The video could be suitable as a candidate for the Guiness Book of Records, in using as much computer effects as possible. They're very distractive, take away my attention from the song and are often as cheap as in many YouTube amateur videos. The effects are only used to make a slideshow of Barrett photo's less boring. Also as in many YouTube videos.

What is DO like is the animation of a curly line going through the montage. I find it charming. I'd like the video if it included more animation. For example, a visualization of what's happening in the lyrics.

My short review of the 2010 remixes on Introduction:
Matilda Mother: Mixed much better than on the Piper 40th Anniversary CDs, where it sounds as if it were an acetate. Much reverb, as in the originally released version. The end is longer. (The track lasts 3:58 instead of 3:09.)
Here I Go: Much reverb on Barrett's voice. Gilmour's bass guitar is really an addition. It's the first time I really enjoy this song. I find the original mix rather empty, being backed by only a Telecaster and drums. The end is slightly longer. (The track lasts 3:19) The full solo can be heard. It makes an extra round, compared to the original mix. It's the full solo, because Barrett ends with a closing chord. The mix fades out, but the ending can be easily heard.
Octopus: Begins with a previously unreleased false start. Barrett is interupted by someone giving an instruction I can't decipher (as non-English foreigner). The part "isn't it good" seems to start with a different vocal, sounding darker. At "it meant even less", the known vocal starts. There's more emphasis on the harmonizing vocals. And some guitar work can be heard better. I think the mix is an improvement and I like it very much, but I won't part with the original one.
She Took a Long Cool Look: Less reverb on Barrett's voice. The breakdown in the middle is replaced by guitar strumming that apparently is taken from another take. This inserted guitar work ends very abruptly, very ugly. Suddenly it's gone, as if the needle on a vinyl record jumps. A bad job.
Dominoes: I don't really hear much difference. I think the vocal is more emphasized and the backwards guitar can be heard better.
mandraxhair
Blade
Blade

Post by mandraxhair »

What has Robert Smith gotto do with Here I Go? :lol:
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

Well I've heard the 2010 mix of "Here I Go" and I liked the song before... but I really, really like the song now!
So I think that's a sale on their hands...
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

When is it supposed to be released in North America? November?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

In another topic, some people have criticized the false start at the beginning of the 'Octopus' 2010 mix.
I must say I like the false start, the way it is added. It makes the right start more powerful. And it's not a false start as in 'If It's In You'. I don't hear any obvious mistakes. The reason why Syd is told to stop is unknown to me.

Question:
In the false start, Syd is interrupted by a man (who?) giving him an instruction. What does this man say? "Play the..."?
Can a native English speaking person give clarity on this?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Is it me or Gilmour's vocals are actually more upfront in this version of Gigolo Aunt? I know the track wasn't even remixed but I hear him more clearly now; perhaps it's just the mastering.