An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Will you listen to (buy) this album?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Not decided
12%

Total votes: 34

danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by danielcaux »

I don't mind a new compilation, especially for an obscure and rather unknown artist like Syd. But "Wouldn't You Miss Me?" did the job rather well, so what's the point in releasing a new one? An attempt to modernize the sound of Syd with the new mixes? I'm curious to hear what Gilmoiur did with those, but at the same time a little worried. The tracklist doesn't make sense though.

And I do hope I'm not the only one here that finds the album artwork quite awful. It is really horrible! Looks like a blatant Wish You Were Here mediocre imitation, with some hobo with a Phatom of The Opera mask (Waters must be rolling in his grave!) trying to pass as Barrett in wonderland. It's even more horrible than the Crazy Diamond boxset artwork, but at least that one wasn't trying to "Floyderize" Barrett solo output, like this new one evidently is doing.

They should have used some Syd painting for the artwork, just like they did in "Barrett", or a maybe nice photo. This one doesn't fit well with the raw personality of his music, too cold and slick, and well, downright ugly. The Storm cover stinks of mid-seventies/mid-eighties Pink Floyd, and mixing that with the images of Barrett songs really feels borderline kitsch.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

danielcaux wrote: I'm curious to hear what Gilmoiur did with those, but at the same time a little worried.
We already know that you ain't gonna like it anyway.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Really? Why? Are they hip hop remixes?
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

danielcaux wrote:Really? Why? Are they hip hop remixes?
No, Gangsta rap mixes.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

danielcaux wrote:And I do hope I'm not the only one here that finds the album artwork quite awful. It is really horrible!
You're not the only one. That cover looks like an unused Hipgnosis cover circa 1978. In fact, I think it is!
mandraxhair
Blade
Blade

Post by mandraxhair »

Idisaffect wrote:
danielcaux wrote:And I do hope I'm not the only one here that finds the album artwork quite awful. It is really horrible!
You're not the only one. That cover looks like an unused Hipgnosis cover circa 1978. In fact, I think it is!
It seems like it was made on a very tight budget with a couple of crappy props.
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

for some reason i haven't taken a close look at the cover until now. that is hilariously bad.

there's apples and oranges on the ground. APPLES AND ORANGES! GET IT!?!
mandraxhair
Blade
Blade

Post by mandraxhair »

Look at his shoes. The soles are coming off.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

The sole has no eyes.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

J Ed wrote:there was an earlier Syd compliation album, Wouldnt You Miss Me
thats the one Bob Dylans Blues 1st appeared on
Opel on the other hand was all prev unreleased material
this album looks like a redundancy to me: the only novelty is it mixes some of his Floyd work with his solo work, which certainly makes sense

sorry I cannot praise them for once again rerereleasing material I already have, but I will buy new stuff from the archives when it comes out (eg Opel, Make Love In London, Syds BBC Sessions, the Piper boxset ... I bought all those as soons they came out)
J Ed, I thought you would at least buy this so you can download Rhamadan.
psychocandy
Axe
Axe

Post by psychocandy »

i'll buy this but i don't understand why can't they include a bonus cd with "rhamadan" on it, why download only and then the actual cd is filled with previously released songs. i'd pay good money to get this on real cd or vinyl, hopefully some bootleggers will do it if EMI don't want to put this on cd.

and when will they release "millionaire" and "living alone"?
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

psychocandy wrote: and when will they release "millionaire"
was it finished? Not much lyrics in it.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

danielcaux wrote:And I do hope I'm not the only one here that finds the album artwork quite awful. It is really horrible! Looks like a blatant Wish You Were Here mediocre imitation, with some hobo with a Phatom of The Opera mask (Waters must be rolling in his grave!) trying to pass as Barrett in wonderland. It's even more horrible than the Crazy Diamond boxset artwork, but at least that one wasn't trying to "Floyderize" Barrett solo output, like this new one evidently is doing.

They should have used some Syd painting for the artwork, just like they did in "Barrett", or a maybe nice photo. This one doesn't fit well with the raw personality of his music, too cold and slick, and well, downright ugly. The Storm cover stinks of mid-seventies/mid-eighties Pink Floyd, and mixing that with the images of Barrett songs really feels borderline kitsch.
You've convinced me. You're particularly right about how they should have used some of his art or a good pic. I'm going back to my former opinion that Storm's style has become a parody or pale imitation of itself.

The 20 minute Rhamadan is at least something to look forward to for the fans. I won't be buying this though and I have every right to come here and say I think this is a bad compilation until those of you who buy it say any different. The tracklist is a mess and the remixes are unnecessary.

This whole affair - until proof of pudding - is not much more than an industry hack banging on Roger Barrett's door.
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Isn't Rhamadan suppose to be 20 minutes of a microphone on the back of a motorcycle with some congas or bongos as well? Am I wrong? I think the track list of this could be much better but hopefully some of this money is going to Syd's charity & maybe some new fans might come of this as well. Personally, I'll stick with what's already out there but might get it if the money goes to Rose & her cause. Like alot of you, I'm more interested in the music the rest of the living Floyds have in the vault. Maybe something from the UFO club?! And whatever happened to the TOTP's version of "See Emily Play"? THAT would be worth it!
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

nosaj wrote:J Ed, I thought you would at least buy this so you can download Rhamadan.
oh I'll be acquiring Rhamadan, Im sure
now if I understand this, Rhamadan will be a download only track available to purchasers of the cd or of the itunes version
does that mean it will be an itune file?
and is there a way to translate an itune file into a mp3 or wav file?
Ive been led to believe an itune is some sort of inconvenient proprietary format, of interest only to mac disciples