An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.

Will you listen to (buy) this album?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Not decided
12%

Total votes: 34

my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: An Introduction to Syd Barrett Album | October 2010

Post by my breakfast. »

Idisaffect wrote:My favorite track is What's Become Of The Baby Lemonade?.

You have actually inspired me to make that monstrosity....
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Hudini wrote:Can you please explain what do you exactly mean by 'final stereo master'. Because, technically, an original CD print should not be different from final mastered tracks in wave format, thus anyone with an original printed CD should be able to 'remaster'? :?
I mean This.

"Final stereo master" would mean the analog tape that contains the final mix of a song/album in 2 channels (stereo), and which is then used for creating the pressing copies that are used for subsequent mass producton.

Yes, anyone with an audio file of an album can remaster it. But is not a proper remaster is they are not working with the real orignal analog master, they would be just "remastering" a copy of the master. Let's suppose someone records a song in a cassette tape, and then he makes a copy, and then a copy of that copy. You could remaster the song from copy 2, from copy 1 or from the original tape (master), assuming that the "remastering" job would introduce the same EQ changes and FX to all 3 copies, is easy to guess which one would have the better sound, right? So if you remaster an album using the file of your CD you would be working with the lowest link in the chain, while if you remaster directly from the analog master tape (or from a hi-resolution digital tranfers of that tape) you would be working with the source of the highest sound quality.

The file you have in an original CD print is not necesarily the same that a studio's final mastered track (song) in wave format. Digital masters are frequently stored in higher resolution than a regular wave file (44.1 KHz, 16 bit stereo) and then the copies are "downgraded" to a lower resolution acording to the release format (CD, Audio DVD, Video DVD, Itunes MP3, etc). So even in the digital realm it would still not be the same (well, assuming the original recording/mix file wasn't stored in CD audio quality, in that case it would be the same I guess).

The important thing is, like Idisaffect said, you can't remix if you don't have the multitracks, unless by remixing they mean adding new sound info (a hip hop beat, a trance backbeat and ambiance, Gilmour's voice) to the original stereo mix master. Perhaps that's what the "2010 mix" term means! <.8.>
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52rBV4SA8TE

Here is the first pre-release sample. :-; :-; :-; :-; :-;
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Alright! Thanks for posting that. Cracked me up. I might have to do a part 2.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

my breakfast., I actually enjoyed that. 8-[
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Enjoyed that? <.8.> Its Lesh-esque bass doodlings and reverb.... nothing more!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I happen to be listening to 1969 live Grateful Dead today, so I am in that zone...lazy afternoon with beer (I will come to my senses and get over it). Mind you, I see your point and Idisaffect's point about the quality of Lesh's bass playing...
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Hudini wrote:...Which could mean that Gilmour would record some new parts in 2010 ...which is exactly what I've been told already.
Apparently that will be the case for the "2010 Remix" tracks!

According to the Amazon info:

2010 collection that brings together, for the first time, the tracks of Pink Floyd and solo Syd Barrett on one compilation. David Gilmour, who originally worked with Syd Barrett on the solo albums by co-producing The Madcap Laughs and as producer of Barrett has taken the role of executive producer for the album and has remixed five tracks including 'Octopus;, ;She Took A Long Cool Look;, 'Dominoes' and 'Here I Go', on which Gilmour has added and played bass guitar. Pink Floyd's 'Matilda Mother' also receives a fresh 2010 mix. Brand new artwork has been provided by Storm Thorgerson and his estimable studio.

Now, I hope those tracks won't sound as bad as the remixes Zappa did in the 80s for In It For The Money and Lumpy Gravy, adding new bass and drum tracks to all the album!
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

nosaj wrote:I happen to be listening to 1969 live Grateful Dead today, so I am in that zone...lazy afternoon with beer (I will come to my senses and get over it). Mind you, I see your point and Idisaffect's point about the quality of Lesh's bass playing...
1969 Live Grateful Dead is the good stuff. Beer though? I'm disappointed! The Dead usually require something more botanical!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

danielcaux wrote:I hope those tracks won't sound as bad as the remixes Zappa did in the 80s for In It For The Money and Lumpy Gravy, adding new bass and drum tracks to all the album!
Or the Dream Theater remixes from 2008, which included different drum triggers and keyboard sounds, which, again, ruined the songs.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation on master/remaster. ;)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:Now, I hope those tracks won't sound as bad as the remixes Zappa did in the 80s for In It For The Money and Lumpy Gravy, adding new bass and drum tracks to all the album!
A big difference is that the original mixes of Floyd and Barrett are available on CD. In Zappa's case, the original mixes of some albums are unavailable on CD.

I think Gilmour has done a great job with his live covers of Barrett songs, like 'Dominoes', 'Terrapin' and 'Dark Globe'. [-D-] I wish he'd record an entire album with Barrett songs. To me, Gilmour has shown how great Barrett's songs are when being played with a clear, trouble-free mind. I love Barrett's erratic performances, but they sound like a musician having a hard time going through the songs. They mosty sound attractive for people feeling sympathy for Barrett himself. Gilmour's covers make a bridge to the masses. Gilmour shows how huge an audience Barrett could have had, instead of being a cult figure.
my breakfast. wrote:Beer though? I'm disappointed! The Dead usually require something more botanical!
Is the music that terrible, that it requires drugs to bear it? <.8.>
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

According to Amazon, the release is postponed with 8 days: "This title will be released on October 12, 2010." (Instead of the 4th.)
Apparently, Gilmour and Thorgerson looked at NPF and decided they should make a better tracklist, more remixes and a better cover. :lol:
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:
danielcaux wrote:I think Gilmour has done a great job with his live covers of Barrett songs, wish he'd record an entire album with Barrett songs. To me, Gilmour has shown how great Barrett's songs are when being played with a clear, trouble-free mind.
Even in in the 70s Gilmour was instrumental in fleshing out Barrett's "song sketches" into tangible audible pieces of art. My favorite Barrett/Gilmour song is the "Wined and Dined" that appears on "Barrett". The pairing of the respective talents of those two works perfectly on that track: Barrett's calm voice, but kinda troubled at the same time, accompanied by a very pleasant acoustic guitar strumming (Barrett? Gilmour?) and Gilmour's slide hovering like a bird over the whole song makes for quite an atmospheric experience, kind of an early taste of the mellow sound of Meddle's A Pillow of Clouds that would come a couple of years later. Add to that Rick's Organ and what you have there is an alternate universe Gilmour/Barrett-era lost Pink Floyd song. Wish Gilmour had noticed that too, but he doesn't seem to remember that song very much, didn't even include it on this comp.
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

danielcaux wrote:My favorite Barrett/Gilmour song is the "Wined and Dined" that appears on "Barrett". The pairing of the respective talents of those two works perfectly on that track: Barrett's calm voice, but kinda troubled at the same time, accompanied by a very pleasant acoustic guitar strumming (Barrett? Gilmour?) and Gilmour's slide hovering like a bird over the whole song makes for quite an atmospheric experience, kind of an early taste of the mellow sound of Meddle's A Pillow of Clouds that would come a couple of years later.
David Parker's book 'Random Precision' says: "David Gilmour overdubbed a complete new backing track onto 'Winded & Dined' comprising acoustic guitar, bass and percussion (which, judging by the note on the tape box, is a sophisticated way of describing a tambourine!). The original LP sleeve confirms that all of these instruments were played by Mr Gilmour himself." (page 186)
The sleeve of the vinyl LP mentions: "All instruments - D. Gilmour, except Lead Guitar".

So, it's the other way around. Gilmour does the strumming, while Barrett does the slide.
danielcaux wrote:Add to that Rick's Organ and what you have there is an alternate universe Gilmour/Barrett-era lost Pink Floyd song. Wish Gilmour had noticed that too, but he doesn't seem to remember that song very much, didn't even include it on this comp.
Is the compilation by Gilmour? If so, then conspiracy stories about sabotaging Barrett never looked so believable. :) How can someone include an untouched 'If It's In You', while leaving out commercially attractive tunes like 'Wined And Dined' and 'Late Night'?
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Wolfpack wrote:
danielcaux wrote:The sleeve of the vinyl LP mentions: "All instruments - D. Gilmour, except Lead Guitar". So, it's the other way around. Gilmour does the strumming, while Barrett does the slide.
Hey thanks! It's great to know that. The strumming certainly sounds very Gilmourish, and I never thought that Barrett was the one doing the slide (although it does sound a lot like the kind of zippo slide he did in Remember a Day) because of Gilmour's tales of Barrett being very difficult while recording the second album and being unable or unwilling to do overdubbs on the tracks.

So, if all instruments were done by Gilmour, does that mean that Rick wasn't the one playing the organ on this track? It sounds a lot like him.