Roger the recluse and the barrett book

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
stickman
Embryo
Embryo

Roger the recluse and the barrett book

Post by stickman »

Hello everybody im new to the forum so howdy,

Ive been a big syd barrett fan for about 10 years now obviously i have all the albums and even the original uk vinyls etc and as you all know there's a new book out which im desparate to get but im a little skint at the moment so my question is how much am i really missing if i dont get the new book with its £70 price tag ???? i know theres alot of new photos but alot of people have told me they're mostly different angles of previously released shots and alot of them are quite blurry ????

Another thing i wanted to mention was a conversation with a friend i had recently about the book which was, dont you think it would have been nice to see some more pictures of roger during all the lost years, i know this is a touchy subject amongst die hard barrett fans but to be honest would rodger really have been happy with his childhood photos being printed and the letters he wrote to the people he cared about ?????

what are your thoughts everybody
stickman
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Roger the recluse and the barrett book

Post by stickman »

wow did i scare everybody off
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Perhaps it will show up at your local library some day. Do you have a library card?
stickman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by stickman »

Yes i have but thats not really what i meant but thanks for the reply all the same.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I simply can't bring myself to spend the money on it, because I'm not that interested in the photos really. I don't think I will feel I am missing anything.
stickman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by stickman »

yeah thats my overall thought really id like to have a look at some of the pictures of his art work but im not going to pay £70 just for that.

I still think it would be better if they had included more family owned pictures of rodger in his reclusive years ???
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

stickman wrote:how much am i really missing if i dont get the new book with its £70 price tag ????
That's also what I'm asking myself.
Large photo's in the book are spliced. Barrett paintings are printed in the margin of yet-another-biographer's text. The box looks like an expensive collector's item to keep untouched in a show-window. As one reviewer said, while browsing the book: "I have disinfected my hands."
It would be so nice if there was also just a paperback edition for a big audience.
stickman wrote:dont you think it would have been nice to see some more pictures of roger during all the lost years,
There are little or no photo's from the "lost years". That's a reason why they're called the lost years.

I've written a longer judgement in the Late Night Syd Barrett Discussion Room:
http://www.latenightdiscussion.com/view ... 865#108865
http://www.latenightdiscussion.com/view ... 874#108874
http://www.latenightdiscussion.com/view ... 926#108926